withdrawing acceptances & effects on financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betsymay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have a few acceptances and have informed my desired school that they are my "final choice" and was told to withdraw from the other schools. However my state school is much cheaper and I'm hoping that my top choice will see this "competition" and offer me more funding. Is this reasonable/realistic? On the other hand, I'm concerned that my top choice will see that I haven't withdrawn my other acceptances and rescind my acceptance on the grounds of noncompliance or something. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15. As far as I know, neither school can rescind your acceptance because you are delaying your withdrawal. I know it is possible to play the financial aid game, but I'm sure it depends on the school. I do know someone who applied last year and used a full ride at one school as leverage to get a full ride at his top choice school. His top choice probably really wanted him, because they could have just as easily said "fine, go to the school that gave you money." Maybe wait until you submit your FAFSA and see if your top choice offers you money before using the state school as leverage. It's still early in the cycle, and you have until May 15 to make a final decision!

I'm lucky to have a few acceptances and have informed my desired school that they are my "final choice" and was told to withdraw from the other schools. However my state school is much cheaper and I'm hoping that my top choice will see this "competition" and offer me more funding. Is this reasonable/realistic? On the other hand, I'm concerned that my top choice will see that I haven't withdrawn my other acceptances and rescind my acceptance on the grounds of noncompliance or something. Any advice?

You've already told your top choice they are your top choice. You have given up your bargaining chip. This is akin to stating you need to fold in a game of cards and then trying to place a bet, Nobody is going to take you seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've already told your top choice they are your top choice. You have given up your bargaining chip. This is akin to stating you need to fold in a game of cards and then trying to place a bet, Nobody is going to take you seriously.

The exact language was actually that I "firmly" accepted the offer, and this was before being accepted to my state school. Thanks both for your input.

The exact language was actually that I "firmly" accepted the offer, and this was before being accepted to my state school. Thanks both for your input.

How do you "firmly" accept an offer? I accepted an offer with a $100 payment, I'd say that's pretty firm, but I'm still open to more offers.

How do you "firmly" accept an offer? I accepted an offer with a $100 payment, I'd say that's pretty firm, but I'm still open to more offers.

This school gave me the choice to "firmly" accept or "tentatively" accept. I didn't foresee this "bargaining" dilemma and didn't hesitate to firmly accept.

This school gave me the choice to "firmly" accept or "tentatively" accept. I didn't foresee this "bargaining" dilemma and didn't hesitate to firmly accept.

Is there any fine print associated with this firm acceptance? Are you required to withdraw from all other schools or is it only recommended that you withdraw? If required, then I think you have your answer. You made the decision 4 months before you needed to and before you heard back from other schools and financial aid options.

Also, it won't hurt you to call the school and see what your options are. They can't rescind your acceptance for asking an honest question!

I'm curious what the consequences of either choice really are.

If you firmly accept, are you basically shooting yourself in the foot and never going to see any financial aid?

If you tentatively accept, can they rescind the acceptance because you weren't serious anyway?

I don't really see any benefit to the student by answering this question at all. All I see is a chance for the med school to weed out the acceptances until they have a desperate enough student body willing to pay full price.

That's kind of stupid. Maybe it just helps them when offering more acceptances or not.

Still, I wouldn't read too much into it. You shouldn't get your acceptance rescinded because you are still waiting to hear back from other schools and about financial aid.

Anyway, I don't think bargaining really works that well unless you're a stellar applicant. Still, it shouldn't hurt to try. Wait until you get into your state school (or have you already?), and then contact financial aid at your desired school to talk about it.