Withdrawing application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregiG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

What would you write to a school if you wanted to withdraw your application? How would such a statement differ if you were offered/not offered an interview?

Thanks.

If I had the guts, I would write it in a 'reverse rejection' form. "I am sorry I cannot accept your interview offer, but I have received so many interview offers from other highly qualified institutions, and I simply cannot interview everywhere'.

:p

Members don't see this ad.

For a school I interviewed at, I simply said how I could not accept their acceptance, it was a very difficult decision for me, I enjoyed the experience and staff at the school, etc. These were all true--I really liked the school so I wanted to be nice.
I'm about to write one to a school where I haven't interviewed at and it's simply gonna be how I am withdrawing my app, thanks for reviewing it, etc. I hope this helps. Short and polite is always the way to go.

It's easier said than done. I had to withdraw my apps from 2 schools after receiving interview invites. I felt really bad; especially concerning the school where the director called me a month earlier to inform me of the interview invite. We talked and I told her how much I would LOVE to go there. Then I called a day before my interview to cancel. I was devastated. It ain't easy being greasy :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Like a letter of resignation it should probably be polite and straight to the point - you don't need to give reasons for withdrawing (unless you REALLY loved the school and know the adcom guys personally).

DON'T be rude - you never know who you will run across later on in residency/looking for jobs etc.

-call them, say your name, and tell them to withdraw your application. easy as that- no explanation. they don't care anyways.

what the hell are you guys talking about?!?

these schools reject thousands of applicants each year without a hint of hesitation or remorse. for once, you get to turn the tables on them. trust me, they dont take it personally; for each person that says no, they take another just like you from an enormous pile of willing applicants. you are not hurting anyone's feelings.

dont feel bad and dont offer an explanation. just be polite and short.

I only withdrew from schools once I was holding an acceptance letter and had received confirmation that they had received my deposit. I called the schools first and then sent the following letter.

Dear (fill in School) or Admissions Committee,

Thank you for the time and careful consideration that your admissions committee has put toward my application to your medical school. At this time, I regretfully decline my interview on (fill in date) and request that my application be withdrawn, as I have been accepted for admissions at another medical school.

I wish you the best of luck with recruiting your incoming class!

Sincerely,
Dr. Kermit

I usually just write:
To Whom It May Concern,
I, (State name), would like to withdraw my application from (State school name). Thank you for all of your time and consideration during this admission process.

Sincerely,
Name
SSN
Amcas ID