Withdrawing Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Ween

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we receive acceptances, is it expected that we re-evaluate the schools which we have yet to hear from and withdraw from the less desirable ones? I received an acceptance recently and I know I would probably choose it over some other schools at which I haven't even interviewed. Should I be withdrawing some of these applications? What are others doing?

Members don't see this ad.

It's entirely up to you. I think one of the AAMC recommendations is that students hold no more than two acceptances at a time.

If you've been accepted to a school that you'd rather go to over schools which haven't even interviewed you, you might want to withdraw your application. The primary reason is you save a bundle on traveling and other interview-associated expenses. The other might be that some other deserving applicant will get a chance to interview.

Unless you want that ego-boost...
smile.gif

Tim of New York City.

I suppose it is an ego boost with each interview request I receive, but I do not want to be so selfish as to delay someone else's application because of it. I guess my fear is only that I will withdraw from a school and then regret it later. I guess that's silly. I have been only holding one acceptance at a time though. Thanks for your response.