Withdrawing Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bots

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was accepted into Hopkins a few weeks ago, and although it's not my top choice, I still need to withdraw from a few schools (some that I've gotten into, some that I still haven't heard from). Does anybody have any experience drafting these kinds of letters?

BOTS

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I want to withdraw my application.

Thank you,

XXX

Dag Scoob - not that terse. Bots congrats - what a nice position to be in. Just say,

Dear Adcom:

At this time I would like to sincerely thank you for your consideration of me as a potential 2002 matriculant. However, I would like to share with you that I was recently accepted at JHU and have thus decided to withdraw my application from your institution. Thank you again and have a wonderful and prosperous new year.

Sincerely yours,

Bot

Hey you never know - you may apply to that school for residency/fellowship etc (okay not, like they'll remember but you know...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't include the school. It just makes it seem like you're bragging (ie - I got into Johns Hopkins, so why would I want to go to your crummy school?). I know that's not what you ment, E'01, but I wouldn't even mention the school. I'd say just be polite, tell them you have recieved an acceptance at another school, and you wish to withdraw your application. Simple, quick, and polite.

E'01,

I think it does not matter how you word it. Just don't cuss them out or say "neener neener neener! I don't have to go to your place anymore!!!"

I wish that's how they would send letters to us..straight up what is going on..

example:

Congrats! You are accepted!

or

Not bad! You are on the waitlist!

or

Sorry! You are rejected

...none of this bullcrap

"the committee has spent long hours looking over thousands of apps and while yours was beautiful and your recs wonderful and all just nifty....we wish you the best...but not here... and on and on and on."

Umichigan for example had the worst worded waitlist letter I had ever seen! It was like

"The admissions committee has decided favorably on your application. etc etc etc then at the end it said....if you would like to be removed from the waitlist, please send us a letter.."

SOOOO,
They aren't gonna read your fancy pants writing!
They just want to know what is up. So be succinct!

Hi Adcom:

Thank you for your recent acceptance but I am going to withdraw my application.

Thanks again,

XXX

SIMPLE! We aren't English majors damnit!!! (well most of us at least)
:p

Originally posted by E'01:

Dear Adcom:

At this time I would like to sincerely thank you for your consideration of me as a potential 2002 matriculant. However, I would like to share with you that I was recently accepted at JHU and have thus decided to withdraw my application from your institution. Thank you again and have a wonderful and prosperous new year.

Sincerely yours,

Bot

•••

If I were on the adcom and I read this I would...
brash.gif

Scoob you little antagonist - I'm gonna cyber smack you one day. Don't hate on my writing style :p How'd you get that barf up face??? There's nothing wrong with being pleasant in your letter - it's not sucking up. At least I spelt the school name correctly :D Yeah sure, Bot scratch the school like Brandonite mentioned...good point.

Why even write a letter? Seems as though a phone call or email would also be sufficient. Wow, what a cool position to be in. I can only hope. Cheers.

Most schools want formal documentation, merlin. Here's what I've been sending schools:

Dear Admissions Committee,

The intent of this letter is to formally withdraw my application. Thank you for your consideration to date.

Take Care,
SwampMan

Short n' Sweet

This is a copy of what I'm sending out:

To Whom It May Concern:

What the dilly yo? Y'all prolly don't recollect who I am, but it don't matter no mo. Ya see, imma tell it like it is, so listen up, ya heard? I'm in. You're out. Peace out.

Much Luv,
md2be06

md2be06: You mind if I borrow that one next time? :D

md2be06,

I almost didn't read this post since it's depressing for those of us that haven't heard anything, but I'm glad I did. Your letter really made me laugh. Thanks! :p :) :D

Originally posted by md2be06:
•This is a copy of what I'm sending out:

To Whom It May Concern:

What the dilly yo? Y'all prolly don't recollect who I am, but it don't matter no mo. Ya see, imma tell it like it is, so listen up, ya heard? I'm in. You're out. Peace out.

Much Luv,
md2be06•••

md2be06,
You up for a dare? I'll send in this letter to a school if you will. I really don't give a fig for the school I have in mind. And, I don't plan on crossing paths with them again. So, you up for it OR are you chicken?? By the way, I like the lingo...think you can give me some lessons?
:D

That letter is too funny. I think I should have used it for a school or two that gave me interviews where I felt like I was on the hot seat.

SwampMan: Feel free to use my standard letter. As long as ya gimme my props, we coo. Perhaps this should be the official SDN app withdrawal letter? Let's put it up for a vote. As Florida voters, we both reserve the right to ask for a recount. :D

OregonLabRat: You're welcome. As I'm one who finds humor in almost everything, I'm always laughing. It's the only thing that's gotten me through this wack process. Hang in there. I've learned things always work themselves out in the end.

Pendulum: I'm always up for a DARE. The word "Chicken" ain't a part of my vocabulary. I'm willing to send it in if you are. Lemme know, and we'll do it together.

Oh, and as far as the lingo is concerned, well, it's just something I picked up on. You're a Nelly fan right? (the rapper, not furtado or fajita or whatever her last name is) Anyway, I must confess that in real life, I ain't always bling blingin' or flossin' in an Escalade. My crib is pretty phat tho, or so da shorty's say. Haha, aight, I best stop now before I offend some of my SDN peeps. As far as lessons are concerned, I think I can fit you into my busy schedule. :)

I'm actually rather articulate in real life (or at least I'd like to think so), but I can hold my own in the ebonics department. Aight, I'm out.

•...Don't hate on my writing style...•••

Don't fret E, Scoobs just uses any possible excuse to write a post that includes his cool barfing gremlin!

(I'm just jealous b/c I am stuck with the generic ones...)

Why thank you Jessica :) Sccob is mean - he gave me the link to those funny faces but it was off limits for non-registered users.

Originally posted by md2be06:
• I'm always up for a DARE. The word "Chicken" ain't a part of my vocabulary. I'm willing to send it in if you are. Lemme know, and we'll do it together.

Oh, and as far as the lingo is concerned, well, it's just something I picked up on. You're a Nelly fan right? (the rapper, not furtado or fajita or whatever her last name is) Anyway, I must confess that in real life, I ain't always bling blingin' or flossin' in an Escalade. My crib is pretty phat tho, or so da shorty's say. Haha, aight, I best stop now before I offend some of my SDN peeps. As far as lessons are concerned, I think I can fit you into my busy schedule. :)
•••

YO, homie! Ok, if you're up for it, I am too. Just give me a week or so to give myself a pep talk or else I'll opt out of it. :)

As far as the lessons go, it sounds good to me. Of course I understand if you're just TOO busy to take another student under your wing. ;)

•Why thank you Jessica :) Sccob is mean - he gave me the link to those funny faces but it was off limits for non-registered users.•••

Haha...I just didn't have the link with me girl...
It's not at that computer I was on when you were messaging me :(
If you just right click it and check out properties then you can find the directory it comes out of and there are a bunch of graemlins on there :)