Withdrawing from a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingTutATL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
People are always talking about how bad C's are and that they'll be the end of them. I am going to have to withdraw from my chem class(not because of a bad grade, but poor attendance), I actually had the second highest grade out of 80 some odd people on the first test. I have a really bad sleeping disorder, almost as bad as insomnia and I usually end up falling asleep around 6 in the morning. My teacher of course thinks that I am full of it and am just sleeping through his classes. I thought I would be able to do it at the beginning of the semester but an 8am class I cannot do 4 times a week with an hour and a half of sleep. I talked to a dean and he said I should get this medically documented so that I can have priority scheduling. I think I've read that the AMCAS treats your W like an F and basically takes the average of the scores if you retook the class which I am of course going to have to do. Sorry for continuing on my rant but it has been a very long day. Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, sorry to hear about your difficulty falling asleep affecting your schoolwork. Sometimes I have the same problem, but usually it stems from anxiety. Unfortunately, I've accumulated two W's or so over the past few years myself, but they are counted as W's on AMCAS, not F's --basically the point is to withdraw before possibly getting a letter grade, F,D,C, etc. However, if you failed the course and decided to retake it, AMCAS would count both into your gpa calculation, unlike osteopathic schools, which I believe replaces the grade from the old course with the retaken grade.
So, you will just have a W on your transcript for the class this semester, not an F. One W isn't going to kill you, but make sure to do really well when you retake. Please try and get treatment for your disorder though, not only for scheduling benefits but personal health also :) Hope that helps. good luck!

KingTutATL said:
People are always talking about how bad C's are and that they'll be the end of them. I am going to have to withdraw from my chem class(not because of a bad grade, but poor attendance), I actually had the second highest grade out of 80 some odd people on the first test. I have a really bad sleeping disorder, almost as bad as insomnia and I usually end up falling asleep around 6 in the morning. My teacher of course thinks that I am full of it and am just sleeping through his classes. I thought I would be able to do it at the beginning of the semester but an 8am class I cannot do 4 times a week with an hour and a half of sleep. I talked to a dean and he said I should get this medically documented so that I can have priority scheduling. I think I've read that the AMCAS treats your W like an F and basically takes the average of the scores if you retook the class which I am of course going to have to do. Sorry for continuing on my rant but it has been a very long day. Thanks for any insight.
Attendance counts in your grade? I would fail every class.

What kind of university actually counts Gen Chem attendance to the class grade? How do they keep track of students?

We had like 150-200 students in each gen chem class...

but anyway, I think one W on your transcript won't affect you at all. However, to me, it seems like such a waste... I mean you payed for the class, got good grades on exams, and then withdrawing from it? can't you talk to the professor about your situation and let him do something about your attendance?