Withdrawing from a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechMan

Dreams Stuff are Made of.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do Adcom's view withdrawing from a class? I have a 4.0 gpa right now (im a junior), but this semester i believe I am taking too many hours and i don't want to make a B or C in a class. I just feel bad about withdrawing, I guess I could stick it out, but it may hurt my other classes as well. Im not too sure what to do. Any thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're just worried about getting a B, just stick it out. A W looks a lot worse than a B. Plus a 4.0 is not much better than a 3.96. They are both stellar numbers.
However, if you think you might get a C or below then definitely drop it.
Good Luck

med schools do want to see that you are human. At one point or another you will have to deal with failure (if that is what a B means to you). You will never be able to save or cure every patient that comes to you. I've been told by people on adcoms that sometimes those 4.0's look kind or fishy and that they would rather see somebody with couple of B's. So, if you will get a B stick it out, show that you are mature and above so many others than can't handle getting a B.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. I can make a B in the class, my only real concern is that in doing so, it may cause me to make a B in another class. you know, sort of a chain reaction. Spend more time doing one thing, slack on the other and it just compiles.

I had a few "W's" on my transcript, and one adcom did in fact frown on the fact that i had a couple.....they were not from not wanting to make a B or C, but the director of admissions said that with the W's, it looked like i was dodging a low grade and said they were completely against it..... i suppose it just depends on what med school it is for, but i would not withdraw from a class simply because there was a chance i would make a B or even a C.
Just my opinion though.

I suppose you are right. The "W" would probably look like I was gonna fail or somthing.

I dropped a class one year, received a W on my transcript - and it was absolutely the best decision I made; I made A's in my other classes whereas keeping the class would've caused me to probably get a grade lower in at least a couple of them. It was totally a matter of survival. I would've prolly had a nervous breakdown otherwise.

Of course I haven't gotten into med school yet so I can't tell you how AdComs see it.

But I thought you might be comforted to know that a W isn't the worst thing to have on your transcript and can be a good thing for your sanity.

To be honest, I don't think making a B or a W look bad. Just have a valid reason why when you go for an interview. (Something besides "I didn't want to make a B.") B's are rounder letters signifying a well-rounded individual.

Go for the A-but be happy with a B>

last year i had to drop half my classes, including cell bio and human physiology and took W's. this was because i had to work 2 jobs, about 60 hours a week. since then i retook cell bio and got an A, and should be able to do the same in human phys. do you think the adcoms will be suspicious of this?

I have one W on my transcript because at the time I was working full time, tutoring, commuting over an hour, and taking orgo, phys, and bio. I've had 3 interviews and nobody has even mentioned it. I wouldn't worry about that - focus on your other classes.

GL