Withdrawing from a school post-acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spongebob_sq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you tell a school that you want your deposit back and won't be attending? I know it has to be done in writing, but what exactly do you say?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am withdrawing my application from ___. How do I go about getting my deposit back?

Thanks,

spongebob_sq

....I mean, you can add more than that, but that's all that's necessary. And most schools will do it over email, so it doesn't have to be in writing.

javert said:
Hi,

I am withdrawing my application from ___. How do I go about getting my deposit back?

Thanks,

spongebob_sq

....I mean, you can add more than that, but that's all that's necessary. And most schools will do it over email, so it doesn't have to be in writing.

you don't have to mention getting your deposit back. the schools i have withdrawn from have just sent me a check to refund my deposit without having to say anything in the letter about the deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
spongebob_sq said:
How do you tell a school that you want your deposit back and won't be attending? I know it has to be done in writing, but what exactly do you say?

listen, i really don't mean to offend, but what kind of question is this? you are going to be a doctor (much congrats to you by the way), but why do there seem to be such helpless people on this site? i mean, just ask them like you would ask anyone anything, i really think you know better than that. here's to being a little more independent!

dannyl said:
listen, i really don't mean to offend, but what kind of question is this? you are going to be a doctor (much congrats to you by the way), but why do there seem to be such helpless people on this site? i mean, just ask them like you would ask anyone anything, i really think you know better than that. here's to being a little more independent!

chill out. sometimes people just like some opinions/ideas on stuff.

LauraMac said:
chill out. sometimes people just like some opinions/ideas on stuff.

just what I was thinking.

MadameLULU said:
I have not had to send a deposit to a single school yet. Which schools require deposits to hold a spot in the incoming class?
Tufts wanted a $100 deposit and the University of Florida required a $200 deposit as well. Tufts sent my deposit back within a week or so after they received my withdrawal letter. UF said you can get your money back b/4 May 16th. I think the schools that require a deposit just automatically return the money when you decline.

MadameLULU said:
I have not had to send a deposit to a single school yet. Which schools require deposits to hold a spot in the incoming class?

None of your AMCAS schools required a deposit? I hope to get my deposits back as well...

-tx

Wow, I was told that you dont get your $$ back, the two I have payed were labeled "NONREFUNDABLE DEPOSITS".

txguy said:
None of your AMCAS schools required a deposit? I hope to get my deposits back as well...

-tx
Tufts and UF are both AMCAS, but the deposits are refundable.

gbiz said:
Wow, I was told that you dont get your $$ back, the two I have payed were labeled "NONREFUNDABLE DEPOSITS".

Mine said nonrefundable deposit in big letters, but if you read the smaller print thats after may 15th. If you withdraw before then you might try calling up the school to see if you can get your money back.

Anyone know when we need to do this? I was told by one school that letters of withdrawal MUST be received at least one week prior to May 15th. Anything later costs you the $100.