Withdrawing from a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellyDancingDoc

Rump Shaker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one withdraw an acceptance from a school? Phone call, e-mail, or formal letter?

Send an e-mail. I tried calling once or twice, and they asked for an e-mail that they could print out and put in my record.

KarEntropy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent a short letter saying something like "Dear _______ Admissions, After careful consideration I have decided to withdraw my application from X SOM (or "withdraw from the XSOM class of 2011" if I was accepted and want my deposit back). Thank you for your consideration." Short and sweet. I don't think most places will accept phone calls. And I thought a snail mail letter was more formal, though I'm sure email is fine, too.
I assume that means you got into multiple schools - congrats!!

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AMCAS rules state you must hold only one acceptance after May 15. Withdrawing requires something written, so either a letter or an email.

Ersatzious

Mayo MSTP MS1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-interview invite: Phone

Post-invite, pre-interview: Phone & Email

Post-interview, pre-decision: Email

Post-acceptance: Email with snail mail copy sent the same day, phone call follow-up 1-2 weeks later if no confirmation received.

There is no need to wax on about why you are declining an interview/acceptance; keep it short and sweet. Some schools may ask where you are matriculating—you are under no obligation to respond.