chikadee1129

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys,

I'm a junior and I'm taking organic chem II right now and I'm thinking of withdrawing.

On the first exam, I got a 9/21 and the average for the class was a 13/21. Second exam, I got a 7/22, and the average for the class was a 10/22. I have another exam that's worth the same as Exams I&II (24% each), and then a cumulative final that is worth 28%. My teacher said he gives as many A's, B's, C's, D's, & F's as he likes.

My pre-health advisor said " You need to pass the class. Period" - so he doesn't advise me to withdraw.

I emailed my professor but I haven't heard back from him but I just wanted to get other people's opinions.

What's worse? getting a possible C,D, or F or completely withdrawing? How bad does a "W" look?

I want to withdraw to save my GPA, and to try to get a better grasp of the concepts when I take it again in the summer. I feel like if I stay in it now , I'll be learning stuff just to pass, and it won't benefit me in the future.

I'm not a strong candidate at all for Dental School but I'm not ready to give up yet.

I took Orgo I last summer and I failed it the first time. But in my defense, our house was being foreclosed during that time so it was an unstable time for me ( I was also depressed during that time,and I'm still learning how to deal with the depression. For me it started due to certain things, but then even after things got better, I just felt depressed all the time, and I'm still learning how to deal with it. I finallyyy got actual help this semester). When I retook Orgo I in Fall 2009, my Grandma had a stroke the week before my 2nd Exam so I didn't get to study at all, and after that I just kind of lost focus. I know things will keep happening in life, so I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but I'm just saying why I did bad -- I don't believe that I'm completely dumb -- I do understand it, but I let things affect me too easily, I think.

Anyway, knowing all that -- what would you recommend I do?

I know some people might want to tell me to give up on Dental school but I'm really determined to get there. It might take a while but I believe I can get there once I get my act together -- which I am starting.

On an another note, what are opinions on graduating from undergraduate, then doing a master's program and then applying to dental school?

chikadee1129

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
if its your first W then go a head and take it. Every student is allowed to have a few. Just don't let this be a normal thing.
Hey, thanks for replying!!

So even regarding everything else (my bad grades in Orgo I and not being a competitive enough candidate) you think it would be ok to withdraw?

If I withdraw from Orgo Lecture, I get automatically dropped from the Orgo Lab too.

Bman1047

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
I say work your butt off for the remainder and if you improve the prof may consider boosting you up, and If you have to take it again, make sure you bust the class wide open the next go round. I had a similar story....got a D in Orgo II the first time, then when I took it again, I got an A. I think a dental schools would rather see that, as opposed to a WF...don't know if your schools withdrawals work like that, but most schools if you withdraw with a grade of an F, you receive a WF, not just a W.

Best of luck...

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Hey, thanks for replying!!

So even regarding everything else (my bad grades in Orgo I and not being a competitive enough candidate) you think it would be ok to withdraw?

If I withdraw from Orgo Lecture, I get automatically dropped from the Orgo Lab too.
Honestly, I think a W is a terrible thing to be had... but in YOUR situation, the alternative is a worse grade than a W

Based on your performances on the first 2 tests (scoring below the class average) I am assuming your going to land a D in this course. I'd take a W over a D any day of the week and twice on sundays.... But thats just me

Flipper405

"Excessive" flosser
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Status
Dentist
I agree that a few Ws will not mess you up completely. I withdrew from Orgo I, and although I was asked about it, I didn't have to come up with a particularly good excuse for it. Just make sure to do well the next time you take it. Put absolutely everything you have into it. Orgo is one of those key classes that they'll be examining your performance in. The class is designed to weed out people. I can tell you that this is just a taste of what's to come in dental school. Only you know if you are already putting in as much effort as you can, or if you can do more. If you can do more, withdraw and do more next go around.

As far as doing a master's, that's certainly viable. You have to see what your GPA ends up being when you're going to apply.

*edit* Thank you bman1047 for reminding me about the W vs WF. At my school, we had a brief period at the beginning of the semester where we could withdraw with just a W - withdrawing after that would be a WF, which is equivalent to an F. At this point, your only option may just be to finish the course.

Last edited:

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Look, some unfortunate things have happened to you and influenced your performance....... But reality is harsh, dental schools don't give a s*** about your situation. They just want hard working students IRRESPECTIVE of what thier conditions are. I know it sounds cut&dry but thats the reality of this game. Dental schools are looking to accept the elite of the undergrad society, unless you can show them that, its going to be very hard for you to compete

Good luck to you on your future classes

cmcner

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Status
Dentist
You should withdraw if you're going to end up with a C, D or F. I think a C+ might be enough not to withdraw, but any of these will put the final nail in your coffin when it comes to GPA. All that dental schools care about is DAT and GPA at their first glance. Then second glance includes courses taken, and Ws, and tons of other stuff but only if you get past the first glance. Raise up that GPA, take easy classes, and plan on a master's if you want a shot, but if you get a W, C, D, or F in Orgo II after and F in Orgo I I cannot begin to explain to you how much you're really going to have to pay your dues to get back in good favor with the admissions committees.

The best advice I can give you is to make your life Orgo II and take advantage of that undetermined 53% of your grade you have left, that's a huge chunk and with your scores on the first 2 I'm sure you could pull out a B if you rock them.