SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Withdrawing/ Re-applying- Advice needed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Frank Hardy, May 26, 2008.

1. Frank Hardy

Frank Hardy Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2006

Let's say an applicant is waitlisted at a school. He is planning to withdraw his app. b/c it is unrealistic to go that school b/c of personal/ family reasons. Before he does so he is accepted.

The school asks for something in writing from him to officially accept the offer
    Of course if you withdraw an acceptance it looks bad b/c schools will question your dedication to medicine when you reapply.

But when are you considered "accepted" in terms of reapplying. ie. when will other schools find out you have an acceptance to the school and "know" for the future cycle.

A. When the school tells you
    B. When you send a "yes" in writing
    C. When you send your deposit after that

Thank you.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mister Pie

Mister Pie Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it counts once a school offers you a spot.
  4. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

when a school offers you an acceptance, that is when you've been accepted.

from what i understand, there is no "blacklist" after being accepted, but you probably won't be able to apply to this school again and nothing is guaranteed in a second cycle. it's a gamble to reapply.
  5. Frank Hardy

Jun 4, 2006
    Thank you both.

The "blacklist" problem is the main concern. If they question your dedication to medicine because you declined then you may be blowing your chances at every US school. Anyone going thorough this should be open to the possibility of not getting in as a reapplicant, that is understood.

If anyone else has some input that would be wonderful. Also, when you reapply where should you address this? In the personal statement or secondaries or neither and just hope for interviews?
  6. Chuck's Right Foot

Chuck's Right Foot Class of 2013 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Accept and deffer?
  7. My thinking exactly. Talk to that school, OP; you might be able to work something out.
  8. Frank Hardy

Jun 4, 2006
    For those who defer when do you do so? Is it after you give them you give them financial aid info./ get a fin. aid package or before?
  9. st0w

st0w plasticperineum syndrome 10+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2006
    That depends on the school's specific guidelines. But be forewarned that many schools will *not* grant deferrals to students accepted off the waitlist. They view the waitlist as a way to fill the current incoming class, and not next year's class. Call the office of the school in question - schools are much nicer once you're an acceptee and not an applicant. :)
  10. flip26

flip26 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Only a few schools ask if you have ever been accepted and turned down an offer from a previous cycle.

The only real deep "doo doo" is if you matriculate and then withdraw...then your name is mud and everyone will know it (because you will have to reveal that on AMCAS the following cycle).

There is no blacklist for turning down waitlist offers - this is an SDN urban legend. But I would not apply to this school this next year - that would be bad form...

However, if you accept the offer, and then turn it down, that is probably bad ju ju...I would not play games with a waitlist offer you do not want - turn it down ASAP...