Withdrawing via e-mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snobored18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright now I think if a school has offered you an interview or an acceptance the appropriate thing to do is to notify them in writing if you wish to withdraw you candidacy. Now my question comes down to those schools like MCW and SLU that take your $80 and don't say a word for months and months (except the stupid you are in our "potential interview" pool we would like to interview you if we get to your application this cycle...wtf)...I don't feel like wasting a $.39 stamp on schools like this let alone the standard priority mailed letter. Anyone think telling these schools you are no longer interested via e-mail is inappropriate?????

Members don't see this ad.

snobored18 said:
Alright now I think if a school has offered you an interview or an acceptance the appropriate thing to do is to notify them in writing if you wish to withdraw you candidacy. Now my question comes down to those schools like MCW and SLU that take your $80 and don't say a word for months and months (except the stupid you are in our "potential interview" pool we would like to interview you if we get to your application this cycle...wtf)...I don't feel like wasting a $.39 stamp on schools like this let alone the standard priority mailed letter. Anyone think telling these schools you are no longer interested via e-mail is inappropriate?????

That's what I did...

snobored18 said:
I actually e-mail-withdrew from the two schools that waitlisted me and said if they would like me to send a signed physical letter that I'd be happy to do that, but they were cool with just an e-mail. that's kind of freaky to me...but anyway, e-mail should be fine for you

Members don't see this ad :)
I've withdrawn from every school via email. There is absolutely no need to send a physical letter unless the school requests it. Even then, there is no need; what are they going to do, reject you? :laugh:

BTW, I've seen several posts where students say things like "thank you so much for considering me but I reluctantly and sadly must withdraw..."
Don't waste your time typing that BS. They don't care, and if you're withdrawing, you probably dont care either, so you don't need to blow smoke up their backsides about it.

I would kind of like to draft a BS letter like what MCW sends out to people who applied after the August MCAT...saying thank you for you interest in my candidacy you have been placed in my "will possibly interview with" pool. I will let you know in a few weeks if I have the time. Then promptly send a letter saying I'm sorry but this year there where just to many qualified schools and while your school is great there were other schools with more fitting qualifications. I really really hate how MCW runs their admissions...they are stringing some of my good friends along and I think their tactics are just not cool...anyways thanks for everyones help...I'll just send a one line deal saying I'm out thanks for taking my 80 bucks...