Withdrew from Dental School due to Medical Issue, should I put dental work/volunteering on my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malikhind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended dental school to become an oral and maxillofacial reconstructive surgeon which requires 4 years of dental school followed by 2 years of medical school (where I'd obtain my MD) and a 4 year residency. I wanted to work in trauma in a hospital but unfortunately I have an issue with my vision which won't allow me to work in surgery but won't affect me as a non-surgical physician. This was the highlight of my personal statement and I made sure ADCOMS would understand that my ultimate goal was to become a physician.

As the title states. I worked as a dental assistant for about 2 years and have about 400 hours of volunteering in a dental clinic providing care to the homeless. Not sure if I should put it on my applications for DO schools. Besides those I have very strong extracurriculars (Hospital volunteer, medical assisting, working with special needs kids, tutoring/TA, research) which accumulate to around 3k hours. The only thing that's weak in my application if I excluded my dental volunteering would be working with underserved communities. But i'm worried ADCOMS would look down on me listing my dental experiences.

Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's part of your journey. List them.

Will you be able to pass your surgery rotations in med school????

Thank you!

Yeah I did a lot of research before deciding to apply to medical school. I actual found people on here with the exact condition as me and they said they had a little trouble with surgery rotations but were able to manage it. My issue wasn't that it was impossible for me to do dental/surgical procedures, it was just so difficult that it wasn't practical for me to make a career out of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's part of your journey. List them.

Will you be able to pass your surgery rotations in med school????
I have esotropia/ambylopia with not great depth perception and surgery wasn’t much of an issue for me at all.

I have esotropia/ambylopia with not great depth perception and surgery wasn’t much of an issue for me at all.

I have these exact conditions plus myopia! This gives me a lot of hope thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I have these exact conditions plus myopia! This gives me a lot of hope thank you!
Also myopia hahah

Yeah, you’d be fine on a surgical rotation

Reactions: 1 users
Put it this way: you dont need perfect vision to hold a retractor.

I did some veterinary work prior to my job as a scribe simply because my relative has a very prominent animal ER (MRI, XRAY, HYPERBARIC CHAMBER, SURGERY SUITE, ETC.) I listed it because it was part of my journey. I have two acceptances thus far this cycle.