"Withdrew" from med school--can I still reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

still want MD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already posted this on the pre-med forum, but was told that posting here might be more helpful...

Here's my sad and very true situation...

I went through the first year of med school this past year and had a terribly difficult time.I ended up failing 2 classes, and subsequently, the advancement committee decided to dismiss me from the school.

I appealed the dismissal, but it was upheld. The school did give me the option to "withdraw" myself from the school rather than being dismissed by them, which I will be doing...apparently, such semantics may help my plight of reapplying to med school, or at least in a job search.

now, post-dismissal, I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and the neuropsychologist has told me that among other things, I need to be requesting accomodations for extra time, should I reapply somewhere.. My ex-school decided to ignore this new diagnosis because they claim it was my own fault that I did not find this out earlier.

Bottom line, though it took awhile to get there, I was told that US schools will not want to touch you after you have withdrawn from one, or had academic difficulty. Does this mean that I shouldn't even bother with trying to reapply via AMCAS, or that I shouldnt even bother retaking th MCAT? Should I set my sights on the Caribbean schools, or would they avoid me like the plague too?

I will honestly do whatever it takes to get my MD; it's just so sad because I was already in one!

If anyone could help me out, or refer me to someone who could, I would be eternally grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to get into a US school. If you got through college and high school just fine with undiagnosed ADHD, med schools are not going to be too sympathetic to your cause. You have to report to AMCAS that you have matriculated at a med school, and probably even have to submit transcripts from the med school (and with failing grades, that won't look good). Any school you apply to will know that you have previously attended a school and that you probably didnt leave voluntarily. Honestly, I doubt they'd even send you secondaries or grant you interviews.

I think it may be possible to get into a caribbean school, however I am not at all familiar with how their admissions work--try asking in the internatonal forum about your specific situation and see what they think.

Best of Luck,
Smurfette

And these are the people instructing us in the finer points humanistic medicine -- so much for compassion! Frankly, I expect just a bit more objectivity from our mentors. Should we wonder why many people hate doctors...I think not.

First, I completely sympathize with your plight, as I was confronted with a similar situation. In my case, I spoke with my assisstant dean and we thought the best idea was to take a medical leave of absence (I left in October) with the understanding that I would seek professional, i.e., psychotherapy, help (this may be after the fact, but did you discuss this option with the admin.?). That being said and done, I was subsequently readmitted.

Had they not allowed me to return, I would have put plan "B" into effect: go straight to the top and set up a meeting with the dean (which I'm sure you did) and ask what it would take to get back in and then do it: see a psychotherapist, do advanced coursework in the interim, get an M.S., take medication, etc. The most important thing is to demonstrate a willingness to do whatever it takes to be readmitted.

If the dean is slightly more reasonable than the narrow - minded advancement committee I'm sure he / she would consider your argument and the fact that you grunted out the entire school year. You'd be surprised at the frequency of this kind of thing in med schools.

Remember, you're absolutely smart enough to do med school, otherwise you'd have never been accepted in the first place

I hope this helped a little. Hang in there friend, I'm pulling and praying for you.

p.s. Notwithstanding Smurffet's comment (no offense to Smurffet), this strategy worked for two of my classmates. It can be and is done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in no way trying to be uncompassionate---quite the contrary--but I am giving my honest opinion given what I know about med schools. Giving false hope can be equally or more cruel than the reality of the situation, and I believe honesty is the best policy...sometimes the truth just sucks. I really do hope you find a way to realize your dream.

If your med school won't take you back (did you ask if you can reapply as an incoming med1, and completely start over?), I still think a Caribbean school is probably your best bet, unless someone out there who has been in the same situation has any advice regarding any med schools in the states that are likely to be willing to give you a second chance.

Good luck,
smurfette

;)

You'll never know unless you try.

Conventional wisdom DOES hold that it is difficult to gain readmission to medical school after being dismissed or withdrawing. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Give it at least a year, and see whether or not you can overcome your past difficulties. If you are unsuccesful in obtaining admission, then at that time you may consider some off-shore schools who may be more lenient.

Best of luck to you.

I was directing my comments toward the advancement committee, not you Smurfett. Sorry 'bout the confusion.