Withdrew from medical school?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haroldbelez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I attended a carribean medical school for a semester and failed a course (biochemistry) so I ended up withdrawing from the school instead of repeating the semester. So here is my question:

When I apply to a DO schools, it states "have you attended another medical school?" I know I should say Yes, but I've heard if you do that, it will mean an automatically rejection letter from the school.

I've read other students who don't even put it on their application after they withdrew from a medical school similar to mine. I don't really think there's a computer that tracks schools out of the country.

Well, what would you do? Or would they even know???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This has been discussed before - if you do a search you'll find several threads dealing with exactly folks who failed out and want to apply again.

But to answer your question, you sign that everything on your application is true. There have been cases (rarely because hardly anyone is dumb enough to lie) where someone lied on their application and got found out in fourth year -- and they were subsequently dismissed just shy of graduating. And yes, they still have to pay their student loans.

I wouldn't risk it. I would, however, contact the admissions departments of schools I'm thinking of directly to get some individualized advice straight from the source. No sense in even applying if you won't be considered; you can concentrate your efforts on your best chance schools.

The loans used was SALLIE MAE so I don't know if there is a way to track that I attended a carribean medical school.

Loan used = Sallie Mae implies that there IS DEFINITELY a way to track your attendance. Using a loan through Sallie Mae means you spent down US federal aid, which means it shows up on your history when a future school puts together an aid package.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually in the same position as the OP. I attended a carib school, failed a course and repeated it. When I repeated it I passed the class but did not get the grade they required in doing so they did not invite me back for another semester..

So from what I understand that the school will only know if you went to a carib school if you take out loans because they will look up this information to determine your eligibility. My question is this, If I secure private financing in which I do not take out any loans declining them year after year and never filling out the FAFSA they should not have any reason as to look into my financial history right? If they don't have any reason to look into my financial history there should be no way they can find out that I did go to a carib school.

Now in regards to how I'll pay for school, I have found a way to finance my education privately for all expenses so that will not be a problem.

Thanks for any comments. Oh and BTW I know what I am doing is not ethical so I would apprecieate it if we leave the moral/ethical debates out of it. Thank you.

I'm actually in the same position as the OP. I attended a carib school, failed a course and repeated it. When I repeated it I passed the class but did not get the grade they required in doing so they did not invite me back for another semester..

So from what I understand that the school will only know if you went to a carib school if you take out loans because they will look up this information to determine your eligibility. My question is this, If I secure private financing in which I do not take out any loans declining them year after year and never filling out the FAFSA they should not have any reason as to look into my financial history right? If they don't have any reason to look into my financial history there should be no way they can find out that I did go to a carib school.

Now in regards to how I'll pay for school, I have found a way to finance my education privately for all expenses so that will not be a problem.Thanks for any comments. Oh and BTW I know what I am doing is not ethical so I would apprecieate it if we leave the moral/ethical debates out of it. Thank you.

Yeah, I sell drugs too

Now in regards to how I'll pay for school, I have found a way to finance my education privately for all expenses so that will not be a problem.

Thanks for any comments. Oh and BTW I know what I am doing is not ethical so I would apprecieate it if we leave the moral/ethical debates out of it. Thank you.

:laugh: Yeah, who needs a doctor with ethics? :smuggrin:

I am just curious to how all of you guys are failing out of Caribbean Schools. Especially after having the chance to remediate. Would you honestly want to be responsible for the lives of your loved one? Because I know I wouldn't want you responsible for mine.

SpitterOfTruth
Crushing Dreams
Taking Names

If you don't care about the ethics of the situation and the possible ramifications, why are you asking our opinions??? Seems you've made up your mind on what you want to do and how you're going to go about doing it.

This smells like trouble and I think you could be be fooling yourself. What makes you believe that you will succeed in a different med school? Has something miraculous changed your study habits or your ability to understand the material? Be honest with yourself, because no one wants to associate themselves with a dishonest person.

I could be way off here but if you are failing classes at a Caribbean med school, I think you would struggle/not be able to pass classes at a US med school. I mean I suppose there are all kinds of circumstances, but it should be something to think about.

There are lots of circumstances besides lack of ability that can cause a person to fail a class or classes. Try to ask yourself what happened and see if the answer is reasonable to you. To the OP, don't lie on your application. It's unethical. And once the school finds out, you will not have a chance. Right now you have a chance, even if it's a slim one.

You will have to tell teh truth. You should include something about it in your personal statement in hopes that they wont ding you immediatly. By using loans, your financial aid office will have access to anything youve taken out previously. I had some lonas from undergrad and when I would go in to our financial aid officer to ask questions about things, he coud pull up eveything I had taken out in terms of school loans.

If a school finds out you lied, they can throw you out of their school. Dont take a chance like that. Be honest and upfront and see what happens. If you get rejected, then go to the school you really want to get in and ask them to sit down with you and see if there is anything you can do to up your chances. You could even do that before you apply. A face to face is sometimes a great way in.

So let me get this straight ---
1) You went to a carib school. Most people don't volunteer for that knowing the 'stigma' (right or wrong) attached to carib schools.

2) Failed a biochem course and a repeat. Somehow, your line of thinking includes 'Biochem will be easier at a D.O. school'.

3) From item 2 your line of thinking includes: 'D.O. schools are going to
be easier than carib schools, so I'll just apply there.'

4) Now you want to falsify your application by not including failing out
of a carib school to get into a D.O. school and are trying to scheme your
way into a foolproof method to do that?

Perhaps it's time to take a good, long introspective look in the mirror. I wouldn't bet the farm or my future on D.O. schools being easier in Biochem or any other topic for that matter. I know at my school, if you couldn't handle the biochem (which is essentially a year of undergrad biochem compressed into 6 weeks with some molecular biology and genetics thrown in) it would probably be less painful both mentally and financially for you to consider another career. Believe me, neuroanatomy and some other fun and games classes that follow in 2nd year will eat your lunch, take your milk money and laugh at you while you attempt to resist.....

As with all others who responded - spend the money and contact the D.O. schools you're thinking of applying to, explain the situation honestly and see what happens. They may recommend a relatively cheap course of action (like taking biochem 1 and 2 and improving your background or possibly a postbacc program that feeds into their incoming class) and no eternal fear of having your degree pulled 10 or 20 years down the road or better yet, when you hit 4th year, are 100K in debt (or have spent 100K) and now have no way to pay it back......

Just be honest, you went to caribbean and realized what a big mistake that was..now you want to redeem yourself. If you can suck up the pride...you will see that people will appreciate you better when you don't hide a damn thing. Be sincere in your passion to be a DO...don't simply sound like DO is my alternative, it should never be one!

2) Failed a biochem course and a repeat. Somehow, your line of thinking includes 'Biochem will be easier at a D.O. school'.

3) From item 2 your line of thinking includes: 'D.O. schools are going to
be easier than carib schools, so I'll just apply there.'

Of course! Haven't you heard? We use a textbook on "osteopathic biochemistry" which is an easier, watered-down version of the real biochemistry taught at real medical schools. We have to do that because we're not as "smarter" as MDs.

:D