Without pubs, how many poster presentations should you have, and what presentations count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markovchn123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply next application cycle for MD/PhD, by that time I am not sure if I will have a publication or not, there is a chance but I will assume the worst case and say I will not have one. I will however by that time have 2 poster presentations at my school and 4 poster presentations at other universities/events. My question is this, do the poster presentations at my school count or are those things I should leave out of my application? In addition is 4 presentations outside of my school good enough for MD/PhD if I don't have a pub?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to apply next application cycle for MD/PhD, by that time I am not sure if I will have a publication or not, there is a chance but I will assume the worst case and say I will not have one. I will however by that time have 2 poster presentations at my school and 4 poster presentations at other universities/events. My question is this, do the poster presentations at my school count or are those things I should leave out of my application? In addition is 4 presentations outside of my school good enough for MD/PhD if I don't have a pub?

I would include every poster presentation in your application, because all should have provided valuable opportunities to explain and defend your research. I applied this cycle with 0 publications and ~4 poster presentations between my school, a conference, and internships. I've been accepted into multiple MSTPs, so I guess that was enough for me.

Don't sweat. At this point, you've got what you've got for your application, and there's not much you can change so there's no need to worry. Just put yourself out there with a careful, well-written application, and see where it takes you. Good luck!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about applying.

Leave em in.

You don't need any presentations or publications. When I wrote "for the millionth time you don't need publications", I didn't add caveats like "but you do need a poster".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the responses! Now I know not to worry too much about a publication.

Reactions: 1 user