WL purgatory and reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BecksTriad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently WL at a number of schools and have pretty much accepted the fact that I am going to be reapplying for the 2014 cycle. Can anyone tell me how ADCOMs view applicants who were WL at their schools when they reapply. For example, will being WL at EVMS this cycle make it more likely or less likely that I get an interview next cycle. Or do they not take it into account. My application won't be much different from this past cycle as far as stats. I have added a couple more ECs and have completely rewritten my PS. I also have edited most of my work/activities in AMCAS including my most meaningfuls. I will most likely be working full-time this next year to try and strengthen my financial position. Thanks for your advice guys I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

It's wise to start filling out the application again but don't lose hope yet. Waitlists move for at least another two months. If you don't have anything by mid July, then it's probably a good idea to give up hope but I know of people who got into medical school on the first day of class. They will see that you applied before but I'm not sure how they look at it. They might think that hey this guy didn't get any acceptances i wonder why or they might think hey this guy didn't get accepted the first time but he's still trying so he's dedicated and must really want to be a doctor. But what I can tell you is that I've met people who applied twice to a school and got accepted the second time despite not even being interviewed the first time. Although I've seen someone not get in with 7 waitlists, 5 is a lot and there's a decent chance that at least one of those will come through. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on applying to mostly new schools this time. If I have to do the process again a 3rd time, I'll reapply to a few more of the schools from round 1. I would think that any school that you are wait-listed (especially high-priority wait-listed at) would interview you again this cycle, since you have rewritten your personal statement. Additionally, you are now one year older/more mature, and that seems to play a huge role in admissions.

I am really against the idea of dropping 20K for an SMP or a graduate degree that I don't want just so i can raise my gpa a little for MD schools. I feel like I wouldn't have gotten seven interviews to begin with if they didn't think I could handle the school work. I am hoping redoing my application will show the growth that I've made as a person this past year. This process has made me reflect a lot and has made me think about where I want to take my medical career in the future. I think these things will make me a better interviewer in the future (or at least I'm hoping). I just hope schools are willing to give me a second chance.

This process has made me reflect a lot and has made me think about where I want to take my medical career in the future. I think these things will make me a better interviewer in the future (or at least I'm hoping).

I think this is crucial. I hope it will work out soon :thumbup: