MD WMAC Re-applicant 3.79/521

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro will tell you if you need DO schools on your list. That aside, there’s a few things that stand out to me reading this:

• Your low clinical and nonclinical volunteering were definitely a black mark on your application. While the research coordinator jobs were nice, it’s not clear here how much of that was interacting with patients, especially vulnerable patients. Was it working at a desk or in a lab 99 percent of the time, or did you spend half your time on the pediatric oncology ward? If it was closer to the latter, emphasize that.
  • You had four interviews and no acceptances. While I don’t know if it’s different at top-20 schools, or whether or not COVID has changed that, a few years ago the adage was “Interviews three, a doctor you’ll be.” If you can afford it, it might be worth your while to get an interview consultant. If not…see what services your school has to offer. They might be able to help you out.
Good news, though. Despite being a reapplicant, you’ve gotten some indisputably clinical volunteering with a population that is very vulnerable, with the hospice work. That plus the service to the underserved with the violin lessons should round out your application nicely. Also, your being a professional musician is not an EC you see every day; it can only help.

P.S: If you are interested in an experience that will likely change how you view the world, or medicine, or disease in general: volunteer in a pediatric oncology ward. As a medical student, I and my classmates felt that it was one thing when a person became sick and died of COPD or cancer or something at 80 or 90 years old. There, we - and often the patient - could console ourselves with the notion that they’d had their run, their three score and ten, and it was their time. Not so with the pediatric patients. Words, here, will not do justice to what I saw: my sentiment, and that of most of those I worked with. Much of medicine is fighting the good fight against an Enemy which is profoundly indifferent to human life. Anything more I write here is unlikely to do the subject justice; Wilfred Owen and Dannie Abse might have been able to, but we were entirely unable to.

Good luck. You’re a rock star now.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Post your new MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools. Of course, U Washington and Washington State will be included in your application.
I updated it! A bit sad about the "slight" drop, but again, I'm still really proud of myself!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro will tell you if you need DO schools on your list. That aside, there’s a few things that stand out to me reading this:

• Your low clinical and nonclinical volunteering were definitely a black mark on your application. While the research coordinator jobs were nice, it’s not clear here how much of that was interacting with patients, especially vulnerable patients. Was it working at a desk or in a lab 99 percent of the time, or did you spend half your time on the pediatric oncology ward? If it was closer to the latter, emphasize that.
  • You had four interviews and no acceptances. While I don’t know if it’s different at top-20 schools, or whether or not COVID has changed that, a few years ago the adage was “Interviews three, a doctor you’ll be.” If you can afford it, it might be worth your while to get an interview consultant. If not…see what services your school has to offer. They might be able to help you out.
Good news, though. Despite being a reapplicant, you’ve gotten some indisputably clinical volunteering with a population that is very vulnerable, with the hospice work. That plus the service to the underserved with the violin lessons should round out your application nicely. Also, your being a professional musician is not an EC you see every day; it can only help.

P.S: If you are interested in an experience that will likely change how you view the world, or medicine, or disease in general: volunteer in a pediatric oncology ward. As a medical student, I and my classmates felt that it was one thing when a person became sick and died of COPD or cancer or something at 80 or 90 years old. There, we - and often the patient - could console ourselves with the notion that they’d had their run, their three score and ten, and it was their time. Not so with the pediatric patients. Words, here, will not do justice to what I saw: my sentiment, and that of most of those I worked with. Much of medicine is fighting the good fight against an Enemy which is profoundly indifferent to human life. Anything more I write here is unlikely to do the subject justice; Wilfred Owen and Dannie Abse might have been able to, but we were entirely unable to.

Good luck. You’re a rock star now.
Thank you so much for the extended response. There was a "tug" in my heart reading your description. I already reached out to my local children's hospital. I want to experience what you're talking about.

I'll try to look into an interview consultant. I was extremely nervous for interviews (especially post-COVID and not socializing for 2 years) but I've learned how to present myself within the industry world over the past year working on sponsor trials. In general, I feel more confident going into the next cycle.

I updated it! A bit sad about the "slight" drop, but again, I'm still really proud of myself!
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Washington
Washington State
Mayo
TCU-UNT
Tulane
USF Morsani
Miami
Duke
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth