WMed vs MSUCHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittytower

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have recently been pulled off of the waitlists for both of these schools. I absolutely loved both interview days and feel like I would do well at either school. Both schools seem to have a focus on early clinical experience, which I am excited for. I made a pros and cons list, but please let me know if I am incorrect about any aspects of each school!

MSUCHM (EL campus):
Pros:
- Lower cost of attendance.
- I like the unique, more self-paced curriculum.
- I know a few current students, both of whom have greatly enjoyed their time at CHM thus far.
- Their focus on primary care lines up with what I want to do as a physician.
- It is a more established school with better name recognition (I have worked with many CHM physicians while scribing).

Cons:
- The possibility of having to move for M3/M4 year.
- Weaker clerkships than WMed.
- East Lansing building is older and more run-down than WMed.

WMed:
Pros:
- Preferred area (Kalamazoo >East Lansing)
- The facilities are absolutely beautiful.
- Stronger teaching hospital system for clerkships.
- I like the spaced-out curriculum with a week off every block.

Cons:
- Less established program (although match results are very promising).
- More expensive (about $112,000 difference in tuition alone, before interest).
- More traditional testing with formative and summative exams every block.
- Larger focus on team-based learning vs. self-learning.

I'm just looking for some feedback, possibly from current or former students as well! The curriculum and cost of attendance are making me lean toward CHM, but I honestly think I would really find my home at either school. :) Thank you!

Edit: The price difference is actually $112,00 for tuition, not $68,000.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CHM. There is no difference in prestige in this case and the $112,000 price difference in and of itself would take precedence regardless. That is an incredible amount of money. Save it and go to MSU

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
$112k is a LOT of money to justify a similarly ranked school. I’d head to E Lansing.

Reactions: 1 user