Woah! Dental anat/occlusion question my PROF couldn't answer?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas? It's from the 2004 pilot exam (released in 2005)

Which of the following factors MOST influences the lingual concavity
of the maxillary anterior teeth and groove direction of the posterior
teeth?

A. Anterior guidance
B. Angle of the eminence
C. Curve of the occlusion
D. Sideshift of the mandible (Bennett movement)
E. Direction of movement of the rotating condyle

The answer is D. No idea why that would actually AFFECT lingual
concavities of max anteriors?! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

teeth?

A. Anterior guidance
B. Angle of the eminence

Yeah I would guess D as well. I suppose because the teeth are curved around the arch and so when they have a lateral movement the lingual concavity makes it easier for the mandibular teeth to travel past the maxillary anterior teeth.

teeth?

A. Anterior guidance
B. Angle of the eminence

i couldnt understand the question?
can anybody explain the question

teeth?

A. Anterior guidance
B. Angle of the eminence

Why not!

Well just look at the other options since its a relative one (MOST! )...

Option 1. Anterior Guidance.
It is "good" for influence on lingual concavity of anterior teeth but has nothing to do with post. groove pattern.
This is due to the fact that ant. guidance results in post disclusion in case of ideal mutually protected/guided occlusion/Group Function.

Option 2. Angle of eminence.
No direct relation. It has more to do with opening and closing of mouth.

Option 3. Curve of occlusion.
No direct relation. It has more to do with angulation/position of teeth in socket.

Option 4. Sideshift of the mandible.
This is the BEST option.

Anteriorly, canine guides the sideshift. The lingual surface of maxillary canine guides the mandibular canine during lateral shift. (Canine guidance component of group function/mutually protected/guided occlusion) ----> NEED FOR LINGUAL CONCAVITY ON MAX ANT/Canine.
Posteriorly, the grooves guides the sideshift. Facial groove of maxillary molars guides the disto-buccal cusps of mandibular molars. (Working side; Post. Occlusion during lateral shift; post. component of group function occlusion) ----> GROOVE PATTERN.
ANT. + POST. = GROUP FUNCTION. (and not canine guidance alone)

The disclusion is on the contra-lateral side (and not on ipsi-lateral side!)

Option 5. Direction of movement of condyle.
No direct relation. (Relation of mandible to the maxilla; To say, you can move your condyles laterally with your mouth open ==> Disclusion!)

I hope this answers your question!

Mayank.

PS Are you sure your PROF wasn't able to answer it? This isn't tough though, well it requires you to have a piercing knowledge\brain but I won't call it a "HARD" question at all. The language of the question may seem tricky but you can always "retro-spect" the options to reach the answer.
Well it might take over a minute to answer it, but it is not a major "Giga/Mega Society Screening" one.

PSS To say, its a cumulative need-driven-effect due to both Ant. Guidance (explains lingual concavity on Max ant.) and Lateral Shift (explains the post. groove pattern and Lingual concavity on Max Canines; part of ant.s).

Members don't see this ad :)
myank you are great intellectual,
i will be thankfull to you if you can just explain the question in simple lay man language so that i can atleast think of it and then can understand the answer.
or
can you tell me where should i study for the questions like that.
its not explained in orbans

waiting for your reply.............
Why not!

Well just look at the other options since its a relative one (MOST! )...

Option 1. Anterior Guidance.
It is "good" for influence on lingual concavity of anterior teeth but has nothing to do with post. groove pattern.
This is due to the fact that ant. guidance results in post disclusion in case of ideal mutually protected/guided occlusion.

Option 2. Angle of eminence.
No direct relation. It has more to do with opening and closing of mouth.

Option 3. Curve of occlusion.
No direct relation. It has more to do with angulation/position of teeth in socket.

Option 4. Sideshift of the mandible.
This is the BEST option.

Anteriorly, canine guides the sideshift. The lingual surface of maxillary canine guides the mandibular canine during lateral shift. (Canine guidance; mutually protected/guided occlusion) ----> NEED FOR LINGUAL CONCAVITY ON MAX ANT/Canine.
Posteriorly, the grooves guides the sideshift. Facial groove of maxillary molars guides the disto-buccal cusps of mandibular molars. (Working side; Post. Occlusion during lateral shift) ----> GROOVE PATTERN.

The disclusion is on the contra-lateral side (and not on ipsi-lateral side!)

Option 5. Direction of movement of condyle.
No direct relation. (Relation of mandible to the maxilla; To say, you can move your condyles laterally with your mouth open ==> Disclusion!)

I hope this answers your question!

Mayank.

PS Are you sure your PROF wasn't able to answer it? This isn't tough though, well it requires you to have a piercing knowledge\brain but I won't call it a "HARD" question at all. The language of the question may seem tricky but you can always "retro-spect" the options to reach the answer.
Well it might take over a minute to answer it, but it is not a major "Giga/Mega Society Screening" one.

PSS To say, its a cumulative need-driven-effect due to both Ant. Guidance (explains lingual concavity on Max ant.) and Lateral Shift (explains the post. groove pattern and Lingual concavity on Max Canines; part of ant.s).

myank you are great intellectual,
i will be thankfull to you if you can just explain the question in simple lay man language so that i can atleast think of it and then can understand the answer.
or
can you tell me where should i study for the questions like that.
its not explained in orbans

waiting for your reply.............

Well almost all standard textbooks give you the basic concepts, but you should be able to apply them to work-out such Qs.

And Orbans' is a textbook of Oral Histology (Orbans' Oral Histology), try Wheeler's/Woelfel's.

I'll explain my answer (and the question as well?) when I'm done with my initial preparation (ie most likely after 20th) or lets say, ASAP.

And thanks for the appreciation.

Mayank.

PS Time O Time, Stop! :scared:
PSS Or I shall break the clock! :smuggrin: