WomanWhoWouldCurie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am a PGY-5 female at a top 15 (per Doximity) program. I can't say more than that because - as you may have heard - there aren't that many of us, and I don't want to out myself.

I've avoided this board since I started residency because I found the negativity distracting. Since I had committed to this field, I felt like it was only bringing me down to spend time on here reading all the doom and gloom. But now I have something to confess: I would not choose radonc again. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think as many voices as possible need to be heard detailing the suffering that residency expansion has wrought on so many of us now and likely in years to come.

The last five years have been tough on my husband and me. Like most female doctors, I married someone similarly high-achieving who NEEDS to be in a major city to do his job. I was aware from the start that this might be difficult to guarantee in radiation oncology, but, like all of you, I love this field. I love the patients, the technology, and the work we do. I got into a very good residency and I was assured time and again (by other interviewees, upper level residents, attendings) that if I did well in our program I should not worry about finding a job. None of our residents ever had, they said. So I took a leap and committed five years of my life to this amazing field. I've done well in residency. I published on a variety of topics, and I'm well liked in our department, but there was always this specter of the job search haunting me.

I was optimistic when I started my job hunt earlier this year. I really just wanted to be in the same city as my husband without a huge commute for either of us. He was even willing to switch locations within his firm, if necessary, to accommodate my job (love him <3). But from the outset there was very little available in any city that would work for him.

I interviewed with a variety of academic places, and had a couple offers for low quality pseudo-academic satellite positions with private practice workload for academic pay. There were some opportunities with historically malignant churn-and-burn private practices. Then, a few weeks ago, one of the docs at our institution used one of his connections to help me find the kind of job I was looking for - the kind of job I went into medicine for. Nothing extravagant, but a mid-six figure salary that would allow me to pay off my loans and support our family. I had a phone interview and they seemed interested and invited me out for a site visit.

Yesterday, they called to cancel. The new general supervision change, they said, had caused them to hold off hiring this year. Maybe in the future. They were, of course, very sorry. And how can I blame them? They are doing what's best for themselves and their practice.

So here I am, in the winter of my PGY-5 year, without any job, and dwindling hope of finding one that isn't exploitative. My husband is, as always, super supportive, and fortunately makes enough that - at least temporarily - we can both survive on his salary. I know I still have six months left, but my stress level is through the roof. It feels like the walls are closing in and I really might end up unemployed. One of my co-residents had a offer pulled as well.

This is an employment crisis for me and for many others. But more importantly, it's a women's issue. And what I came on here to rant about is that NOT ONE SINGLE HIGH PROFILE RADONC WOMAN has said anything about this. Not Reshma Jagsi, Malika Siker, Fumiko Chino... none of the twitter celebs have touched this with a ten foot pole. When they have, they have largely supported getting more women and minorities into the field. REALLY?! MORE?! So they can end up jobless and desperate like me five years from now?!

So what I really came on here to say, in addition to sharing this story, is to say that the #womenwhocurie thing is a farce. THERE IS ONLY ONE "WOMEN'S ISSUE" IN THIS FIELD, and it is RESIDENCY EXPANSION. Women are more likely than men to have geographically-restricted spouses. This is not controversial. I can see this in my own program: several of the male residents I've known were married to NPs or PAs, one stay-at-home mom, one to another doc. They could pretty much move anywhere they wanted and cast a job search net across the whole country. But ALL of the female residents I know (in radonc or elsewhere) are married either to other doctors (they are probably the most flexible) or to lawyers/consultants/financiers. These people, as does my husband, need to be in big cities to do their work. AS THE JOB MARKET TIGHTENS IT WILL CONTINUE TO DISPROPORTIONATELY AFFECT WOMEN. And minorities too, because I don't know many POCs who want to go work in rural appalachia.

So here I am - a living embodiment of why radonc is a terrible field for many women (or men with geographically restricted spouses - I know there are plenty of you out there too :)). But when I go to some of these women's meetings I don't hear a peep about it. All we talk about is things that don't matter. I've never met anyone in power in this field who was the least bit sexist to me, or who didn't go above and beyond to mentor me (male or female). People call me Dr. X - and when they don't, it doesn't harm me in the least, and I'm not at all offended by it. BUT I WANT A JOB. And the idea that all I need is a good pep talk and a hashtag is, to be frank, demeaning and a bit sexist.

When I almost decided not to enter this field, I didn't do it because of some implicit bias or whatever unprovable gobbledygook people are attributing it to these days, I did it because I am a rational human being making choices about what's best for me and my family. And now, five years, as an almost-equally rational human being, I would advise anyone reading this not to choose it. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Please listen. If you are a student applying, or a PGY-1 in a prelim-IM program (really if you are in any position to feasibly bail out of radiation oncology) I would advise that you do it. The sky really is falling.

I just want a job near my husband. I want to be able to have a family and a decent income and a fulfilling job helping cancer patients. I don't care about all the academic politics and power moves and heaping blame on men. These people went on and on expanding their residencies in a way that knew was unsustainable and now we will all pay the price for it. And instead of acknowledging this or trying to fix it, they are silent. I wish they would stand up and use their voices to help women in this field in the best way they can: cut residency spots, drastically and immediately. Frankly, if you want to show you are an advocate for women... #heforshe or #sheforshe.... this is the only meaningful thing you can do.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 21 users
Should be a sticky of this PGY-5s experience, as well others, post CMS supervision rule change at the TOP of this forum.

Like I said before, goal should be a 0% match into rad onc in the 2020 nrmp. That will send a message to RO leadership about what a CF they've created.

Even if you're a DO, FMG/IMG etc. why would you match into a field where you might have NO job at the end of 5 years? Even more so if you're matching outside a top 10-15 program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry for this story. In your shoes through, take the comfortable safe academic satellite job if the location works for your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This should be tweeted and retweeted. Please set up even an anonymous twitter account, summarize it and put it in thread format. In this case, I would @ Astro, radonc, the ABR, arro, and the women you mentioned. This is very disheartening.

Everyone who has gotten an offer pulled needs to publicize.

Catchy hashtag?

Radoncpocalypse?

I got nothing.. help with the hashtag !!

Reactions: 1 users
So sorry to hear this, and obviously worries me as well as a PGY-5 with a job offer (for now) too.

Thoughts on #radoncrepeal, #radoncrenege, or #radoncrevoke

• Haha
This should be tweeted and retweeted. Please set up even an anonymous twitter account, summarize it and put it in thread format. In this case, I would @ Astro, radonc, the ABR, arro, and the women you mentioned. This is very disheartening.

Everyone who has gotten an offer pulled needs to publicize.

Catchy hashtag?

Radoncpocalypse?

I got nothing.. help with the hashtag !!
#jobsirradiated #protonsforpennies #nodegreesoffreedom

Reactions: 3 users
I'm very sorry to hear your situation.

As a single male who dislikes living in a metro area I had always told myself "I would pick this again" because I figured there would ALWAYS be some job out in BFE I could make a decent living. Now hearing how multiple practices are no longer hiring and how current PGY5s are having their offers revoked, this is definitely no longer the case. I can say with the most recent developments I would not choose this again.

• Haha
All these practices pulling offers and positions is incredibly sad. You 4s and 5s didn’t ask for it and did not have the chance to learn about what was going on before selecting RO. I was here with a handful of others around 2014/15 to ring the alarm. Alot of people looked at us side eyed but eventually realized we were correct. For as bad as it was I did not fathom it getting this bad this fast. I used to use the analogy would you rather have Michael Jordan shooting free throws that determined your future or Shaquille O’Neal. Well when you choose Shaq this is the kind of unexpected thing (supervision change) that can happen and just obliterate any hope that was left. It’s too bad but it truly is time to abandon the thought of choosing RO.

Last edited:
Class of 2019: Generation Board Exam Debacle

Class of 2020: Generation General Supervision Job Loss

Class of 2021: Generation...Deep Learned Ourselves out of a Specialty? Generation One RadOnc per 10 Million Americans?

Stay tuned.

But...stay tuned from another specialty. Time to go look at MBA programs.

I'm very sorry to hear your situation.

As a single male who dislikes living in a metro area I had always told myself "I would pick this again" because I figured there would ALWAYS be some job out in BFE I could make a decent living. Now hearing how multiple practices are no longer hiring and how current PGY5s are having their offers revoked, this is definitely no longer the case. I can say with the most recent developments I would not choose this again.
Yup, just make an existing doc drive out 1-2 days/week and there's your "rural" coverage assuming it isn't a freestanding/private center

All these practices pulling offers and positions is incredibly sad. You 4s and 5s didn’t ask for it and did not have the chance to learn about what was going on before selecting RO. I was here with a handful of others around 2014/15 to ring the alarm. Alot of people looked at us side eyed but eventually realized we were correct. For as bad as it was I did not fathom it getting this bad this fast. I used to use the analogy would you rather have Michael Jordan shooting free throws that determined your future or Shaquille O’Neal. Well when you choose Shaq this is the kind of unexpected thing (supervision change) that can happen and just obliterate any hope that was left. It’s too bad but it truly is time to abandon the thought of choosing RO.
Yup. Unfortunately this was a "black swan" event with the CMS supervision rule change, no one saw it coming, not even ASTRO, and they are literally powerless to stop it

Hopeful there will be some green shoots in 2025-2030+, but for now this field is literally radioactive, will take several years imo to absorb all these grads into the system

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I blame scarbtj who wouldn’t shut the **** about supervision rules being silly.

I forget who but someone around here kept telling him not to dig stuff up that didn’t need digging....

• Haha

I forget who but someone around here kept telling him not to dig stuff up that didn’t need digging....
Lol don't be ridiculous. RadOnc was "general supervision" until just after the turn of the century IIRC. Perhaps @scarbrtj can shed more light on the exact chronology.

Said it before, will say it again, it wasn't CMS's job to find a use for all these extra grads thanks to residency expansion. It sucks, but it's the truth... Direct your ire to where it belongs, the individuals that created and expanded slots

If Scarbtj has that much pull, tell him to make the chairs stop with all the residency expansions and to get the urologist to stop operating on all high risk patients!

• Haha
I’m being tongue in cheek about scar but in reality this sudden shift is directly due to CMS changing the rules, which no one saw coming. Can’t blame CMS for doing their job, but this would be a major problem and existential crisis to the field as we know it regardless of how many grads there were. Just like APM.

Honestly f*** SCAROP and ADROP

They royally screwed us. The worst part is that we have little recourse as residents

We already are in such a power imbalance to speak up just being residents, but it then got worse bc there was overtraining

Now with job offers being removed wtf are we supposed to say to SCAROP and ADROP without risk of significant retribution

Honestly f*** SCAROP and ADROP

They royally screwed us. The worst part is that we have little recourse as residents

We already are in such a power imbalance to speak up just being residents, but it then got worse bc there was overtraining

Now with job offers being removed wtf are we supposed to say to SCAROP and ADROP without risk of significant retribution
Fight the good fight and tank the rad onc match in 2020. Everyone wins (mostly)

Not to say this post isn't legitimate, but it is posts like this that give those who condemn information from SDN ammunition to continue in doing so. This is just a fairly vague post from a throwaway account. Anyone could have made it. I could have written this post as a pre-med. It lacks any credibility. I'm not sure I can really see the harm in posting these sorts of things from a legitimate account with a known identity as long as you're professional in your discourse. No bashing, no emotional tirades, just straight facts. No one is going to condemn a person for posting online that they're struggling to find a job, and it would lend merit to these types of posts. Otherwise, who knows if this is real or just another M4 looking to thin the herd.

Hell, you don't even need to attach your name to it. An account that wasn't made a day ago simply to post on a hot talking point and then fade away and never post again would be an upgrade to the types of posts that keep appearing on here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Not to say this post isn't legitimate, but it is posts like this that give those who condemn information from SDN ammunition to continue in doing so. This is just a fairly vague post from a throwaway account. Anyone could have made it. I could have written this post as a pre-med. It lacks any credibility. I'm not sure I can really see the harm in posting these sorts of things from a legitimate account with a known identity as long as you're professional in your discourse. No bashing, no emotional tirades, just straight facts. No one is going to condemn a person for posting online that they're struggling to find a job, and it would lend merit to these types of posts. Otherwise, who knows if this is real or just another M4 looking to thin the herd.
haha the herd is thin already

While you're not wrong, that is a truly cynical view

Why would an M4 need to thin the herd? There are 150 applicants for 200+ spots.

Multiple ppl on Twitter have also said of those 150, they are receiving apps from those not even trying to match Rad Onc.

Hell, you don't even need to attach your name to it. An account that wasn't made a day ago simply to post on a hot talking point and then fade away and never post again would be an upgrade to the types of posts that keep appearing on here.

Would totally agree with you circa 2003-2018 or so. Not now. Rad onc isn't even competitive anymore, psych is even more coveted at this point

LMFAO.

How about you post your real identity, then the rest of us will post ours? Big tough guy that you are.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

I know exactly who OP is. She is real. And so is her plight.

If you can't see the harm in posting these kinds of issues with a known identity in our field then you are blind.

Reactions: 5 users
This is the true #womenwhocurie #radoncrocks bs response

• Haha

disgusting post. Poster should be embarassed. Probably a virtue signaler about “women who curie” “He for she” nonsense yet does NOTHING to support women in reality. We got a real tough guy here folks. Welcome to our field.

I will see you at the breadline. I am camping here, like camping for the next XBOX or a Trump rally. Except i am dead broke with no job prospects. SAD.

Last edited:
I am a PGY-5 female at a top 15 (per Doximity) program. I can't say more than that because - as you may have heard - there aren't that many of us, and I don't want to out myself.

I've avoided this board since I started residency because I found the negativity distracting. Since I had committed to this field, I felt like it was only bringing me down to spend time on here reading all the doom and gloom. But now I have something to confess: I would not choose radonc again. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I think as many voices as possible need to be heard detailing the suffering that residency expansion has wrought on so many of us now and likely in years to come.

The last five years have been tough on my husband and me. Like most female doctors, I married someone similarly high-achieving who NEEDS to be in a major city to do his job. I was aware from the start that this might be difficult to guarantee in radiation oncology, but, like all of you, I love this field. I love the patients, the technology, and the work we do. I got into a very good residency and I was assured time and again (by other interviewees, upper level residents, attendings) that if I did well in our program I should not worry about finding a job. None of our residents ever had, they said. So I took a leap and committed five years of my life to this amazing field. I've done well in residency. I published on a variety of topics, and I'm well liked in our department, but there was always this specter of the job search haunting me.

I was optimistic when I started my job hunt earlier this year. I really just wanted to be in the same city as my husband without a huge commute for either of us. He was even willing to switch locations within his firm, if necessary, to accommodate my job (love him <3). But from the outset there was very little available in any city that would work for him.

I interviewed with a variety of academic places, and had a couple offers for low quality pseudo-academic satellite positions with private practice workload for academic pay. There were some opportunities with historically malignant churn-and-burn private practices. Then, a few weeks ago, one of the docs at our institution used one of his connections to help me find the kind of job I was looking for - the kind of job I went into medicine for. Nothing extravagant, but a mid-six figure salary that would allow me to pay off my loans and support our family. I had a phone interview and they seemed interested and invited me out for a site visit.

Yesterday, they called to cancel. The new general supervision change, they said, had caused them to hold off hiring this year. Maybe in the future. They were, of course, very sorry. And how can I blame them? They are doing what's best for themselves and their practice.

So here I am, in the winter of my PGY-5 year, without any job, and dwindling hope of finding one that isn't exploitative. My husband is, as always, super supportive, and fortunately makes enough that - at least temporarily - we can both survive on his salary. I know I still have six months left, but my stress level is through the roof. It feels like the walls are closing in and I really might end up unemployed. One of my co-residents had a offer pulled as well.

This is an employment crisis for me and for many others. But more importantly, it's a women's issue. And what I came on here to rant about is that NOT ONE SINGLE HIGH PROFILE RADONC WOMAN has said anything about this. Not Reshma Jagsi, Malika Siker, Fumiko Chino... none of the twitter celebs have touched this with a ten foot pole. When they have, they have largely supported getting more women and minorities into the field. REALLY?! MORE?! So they can end up jobless and desperate like me five years from now?!

So what I really came on here to say, in addition to sharing this story, is to say that the #womenwhocurie thing is a farce. THERE IS ONLY ONE "WOMEN'S ISSUE" IN THIS FIELD, and it is RESIDENCY EXPANSION. Women are more likely than men to have geographically-restricted spouses. This is not controversial. I can see this in my own program: several of the male residents I've known were married to NPs or PAs, one stay-at-home mom, one to another doc. They could pretty much move anywhere they wanted and cast a job search net across the whole country. But ALL of the female residents I know (in radonc or elsewhere) are married either to other doctors (they are probably the most flexible) or to lawyers/consultants/financiers. These people, as does my husband, need to be in big cities to do their work. AS THE JOB MARKET TIGHTENS IT WILL CONTINUE TO DISPROPORTIONATELY AFFECT WOMEN. And minorities too, because I don't know many POCs who want to go work in rural appalachia.

So here I am - a living embodiment of why radonc is a terrible field for many women (or men with geographically restricted spouses - I know there are plenty of you out there too :)). But when I go to some of these women's meetings I don't hear a peep about it. All we talk about is things that don't matter. I've never met anyone in power in this field who was the least bit sexist to me, or who didn't go above and beyond to mentor me (male or female). People call me Dr. X - and when they don't, it doesn't harm me in the least, and I'm not at all offended by it. BUT I WANT A JOB. And the idea that all I need is a good pep talk and a hashtag is, to be frank, demeaning and a bit sexist.

When I almost decided not to enter this field, I didn't do it because of some implicit bias or whatever unprovable gobbledygook people are attributing it to these days, I did it because I am a rational human being making choices about what's best for me and my family. And now, five years, as an almost-equally rational human being, I would advise anyone reading this not to choose it. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Please listen. If you are a student applying, or a PGY-1 in a prelim-IM program (really if you are in any position to feasibly bail out of radiation oncology) I would advise that you do it. The sky really is falling.

I just want a job near my husband. I want to be able to have a family and a decent income and a fulfilling job helping cancer patients. I don't care about all the academic politics and power moves and heaping blame on men. These people went on and on expanding their residencies in a way that knew was unsustainable and now we will all pay the price for it. And instead of acknowledging this or trying to fix it, they are silent. I wish they would stand up and use their voices to help women in this field in the best way they can: cut residency spots, drastically and immediately. Frankly, if you want to show you are an advocate for women... #heforshe or #sheforshe.... this is the only meaningful thing you can do.

Poster appropriately points out the disgusting hypocrisy and superficiality of the women who curie bs. Supporting women is a lot more than hashtags, pictures by a linac. Women have often times been eachother’s worst enemies, failing to support eachother or straight up slashing each other's throats . The silence is deafening. We will remember the silence of our “friends”. I will NOT forget.

Last edited:
Poster appropriately points out the disgusting hypocrisy and superficiality of the women who curie bs. Supporting women is a lot more than hashtags, pictures by a linac. Women have often times been eachother’s worst enemies, failing to support eacgother or straight up slashing each other's throats . The silence is deafening. We will remember the silence of our “friends”. I will NOT forget.

And here is the fearless leaders response. Bravo. No empathy whatsoever in her messages

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
And here is the fearless leaders response. Bravo. No empathy whatsoever in her messages

Lack of empathy rivaled only by how out of touch she is with the current demand for specialties like uro, ent and pcps/hospitalists. She still thinks folks are walking into $500k jobs

• Haha

well the poster did swat away opportunities. She points out that she got offers but they were “pp work for academic pay”. Again, do not turn down these things in todays climate. You will end up with NOTHING. I’ll see you at the breadline.

i am really looking forward to the match. So funny. half of programs need to be shut down

• Haha
Class of 2019: Generation Board Exam Debacle

Class of 2020: Generation General Supervision Job Loss

Class of 2021: Generation...Deep Learned Ourselves out of a Specialty? Generation One RadOnc per 10 Million Americans?

Stay tuned.

But...stay tuned from another specialty. Time to go look at MBA programs.

SAD reality. Is rad onc like a big fat turd circling a partially clogged toilet?

• Haha
well the poster did swat away opportunities. She points out that she got offers but they were “pp work for academic pay”. Again, do not turn down these things in todays climate. You will end up with NOTHING. I’ll see you at the breadline.

i am really looking forward to the match. So funny. half of programs need to be shut down

She was probably a very competitive applicant who could have matched into a different specialty and had better employment options at the end of training. I think it's reasonable to look at pseudo-academic sites and think "I could have done better."

She was probably a very competitive applicant who could have matched into a different specialty and had better employment options at the end of training. I think it's reasonable to look at pseudo-academic sites and think "I could have done better."

Thats fine but reality has a way to smash you in the face regardless of who you are. This is a hard year and perhaps not the year for that. Many people will end up unemployed if they let perfect be the enemy of good

Thats fine but reality has a way to smash you in the face regardless of who you are. This is a hard year and perhaps not the year for that. Many people will end up unemployed if they let perfect be the enemy of good

We know that now but cut her some slack

Around ASTRO time, so many ppl were saying how great the job market is despite no concrete facts

Her mentors And annoying Twitter Trolls have prob influenced her to believe all is well

Lack of empathy rivaled only by how out of touch she is with the current demand for specialties like uro, ent and pcps/hospitalists. She still thinks folks are walking into $500k jobs

I don’t think she is talking about 500k jobs dude. She’s right that not every field offers the ability to walk into an academic satellite job and make 350k working 50 hours a week, no weekends. yes, no 500k potential likely, but srill
A job that may meet her needs with the goal being to stay in a city

If Scarbtj has that much pull, tell him to make the chairs stop with all the residency expansions and to get the urologist to stop operating on all high risk patients!
In the Bible didn't Joshua tell the sun to stand still and the moon to stop? And they did? I told CMS to change the supervision rules! Just kidding, if you're wondering. Or am I.
I’m being tongue in cheek about scar but in reality this sudden shift is directly due to CMS changing the rules, which no one saw coming.
If you didn't see it coming you weren't using your imagination. (Like they say in psych: "always keep a dirty mind.") In today's day and age, and this is not just particular to medicine, you ALWAYS have to think worst case scenario. If you can imagine it, and it seems plausible, you have to think it's possible. (However, in medicine, you REALLY have to think worst case scenario.) General supervision seemed plausible because historically things were done that way (and much of rad onc's sister specialty, radiology, is governed only by general supervision rules since forever), technology kept making radiation (and lots of other medical treatments too) safer and shorter and less scary thus allowing non-medical bureaucrats to countenance a general supervision world, and finally I still can't find any other country on the planet who has a strict, governmentally-mandated direct supervision requirement like the US had. If the government (and to some extent the legal system) hadn't fiddled around in medicine artificially inflating the need for US radiation oncologists none of this fiasco would have happened in the first place.

To the OP... I am genuinely, truly sorry. I am sorry for everyone.

Last edited:
Am I missing something here or this a silly way to frame the job market issue? Yes, geographic flexibility is extremely limited in this field but that is the case for EVERYONE. Why are we acting like it's somehow more of an issue for women than it is for men?

Women are more likely than men to have geographically-restricted spouses. This is not controversial. I can see this in my own program: several of the male residents I've known were married to NPs or PAs, one stay-at-home mom, one to another doc. They could pretty much move anywhere they wanted and cast a job search net across the whole country. But ALL of the female residents I know (in radonc or elsewhere) are married either to other doctors (they are probably the most flexible) or to lawyers/consultants/financiers.

This is what I don't understand. "All the gals I know chose to marry people with geographic limitations while the guys married people with more flexibility, so unfair!"

You made a decision to marry someone knowing full well they had a job that restricted where they could live. And then you made a decision to enter a field that has been known to be very geographically limiting, It's not like this issue came about all of the sudden. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices and, assuming you're not looking to replace your husband with a more geopraphically friendly one, that means you need to accept the reality that your job prospects will be limited because that's the path you chose.

I am a huge critic of this job market and how bad leadership has let things get, but it is equally limiting for everyone irrespective of gender.

Reactions: 6 users
I don’t think she is talking about 500k jobs dude. She’s right that not every field offers the ability to walk into an academic satellite job and make 350k working 50 hours a week, no weekends. yes, no 500k potential likely, but srill
A job that may meet her needs with the goal being to stay in a city
Read the tweet, she said "mid six" figures in a decent sized city. Both of those things are far more difficult to achieve now. If you want to make $300-350k, which seems to be the going rate in academic rad onc, lot of other options out there in medicine which afford much more geographic flexibility.

Last edited:
Read the tweet, she said "mid six" figures in a decent sized city. Both of those things are far more difficult to achieve now. If you want to make $300-350k, which seems to be the going rate in academic rad onc, lot of other options out there in medicine which afford much more geographic flexibility.

All I’m saying is that if the OP is expecting to make 500k in a big city, well sorry SIS! We all Do! That’s not reality for a job we will all have available to us as a starting job, as Carbon Ion alluded to.

she should take the 350k job at the ‘DISGUSTING’ academic satellite in the city where it works for her husband and call it a day.

All I’m saying is that if the OP is expecting to make 500k in a big city, well sorry SIS! We all Do! That’s not reality for a job we will all have available to us as a starting job, as Carbon Ion alluded to.

she should take the 350k job at the ‘DISGUSTING’ academic satellite in the city where it works for her husband and call it a day.
Yup. Although at this point post CMS bombshell, might even be less than that... And again less likely to be in a big city

I see and understand how scary and difficult the OP’s situation is right now, but several years ago when I applied it was readily apparent that this is a field that inherently has low geographic flexibility. Even before the expansion you couldn’t be guaranteed a job in a specific place. Buyer beware

To the OP - I didn't sign my job offer until January when I was looking. DOn't lose hope. Alot of people I know had discouraging moments in the job hunt, even going back 4-5 years ago. Job offers rescinded, groups 'changing their mind', etc. It happens, it sucks. More-so now in the current era probably. But don't lose hope, it will work out. My viewpoint in January last year was way different than it was in November, when a couple things fell through and I was left with 'now what'

I agree with others who have said that IF the satellite jobs are going to work for your husband in terms of location, then perhaps adjust your expectations to making in the 300's and take the job.

Reactions: 7 users
Am I missing something here or this a silly way to frame the job market issue? Yes, geographic flexibility is extremely limited in this field but that is the case for EVERYONE. Why are we acting like it's somehow more of an issue for women than it is for men?

This is what I don't understand. "All the gals I know chose to marry people with geographic limitations while the guys married people with more flexibility, so unfair!"

You made a decision to marry someone knowing full well they had a job that restricted where they could live. And then you made a decision to enter a field that has been known to be very geographically limiting, It's not like this issue came about all of the sudden. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices and, assuming you're not looking to replace your husband with a more geopraphically friendly one, that means you need to accept the reality that your job prospects will be limited because that's the path you chose.

I am a huge critic of this job market and how bad leadership has let things get, but it is equally limiting for everyone irrespective of gender.
I don't think it's silly; I think it's cogent and relevant. Sometimes people lose sight of the main issue. When they don't, it's better for everyone. Bill Clinton, love him or hate him, won because he said "It's the economy, stupid." It's still true: just substitute job market/residency expansion/oversupply for economy. Diversity is laudable. But I bet a guy would have been given an askew glance on the Titanic if he started talking about the amount of diversity in the lifeboats.

Now that I have said that... can someone speak to the ability of the "higher ups" to discuss residency numbers/slots/job market (presently aka "employability") now whereas in the past it was very anti-trust-y to do so?

I don't think it's silly; I think it's cogent and relevant. Sometimes people lose sight of the main issue. When they don't, it's better for everyone. Bill Clinton, love him or hate him, won because he said "It's the economy, stupid." It's still true: just substitute job market/residency expansion/oversupply for economy. Diversity is laudable. But I bet a guy would have been given an askew glance on the Titanic if he started talking about the amount of diversity in the lifeboats.

Now that I have said that... can someone speak to the ability of the "higher ups" to discuss residency numbers/slots/job market (presently aka "employability") now whereas in the past it was very anti-trust-y to do so?
They’re discussing what you wanted and you’re still complaining. I’m confused.. what are you looking to achieve here? It would be great if they came here and apologized but idk if that will happen.

In the Bible didn't Joshua tell the sun to stand still and the moon to stop? And they did? I told CMS to change the supervision rules! Just kidding, if you're wondering. Or am I.

If you didn't see it coming you weren't using your imagination. (Like they say in psych: "always keep a dirty mind.") In today's day and age, and this is not just particular to medicine, you ALWAYS have to think worst case scenario. If you can imagine it, and it seems plausible, you have to think it's possible. (However, in medicine, you REALLY have to think worst case scenario.) General supervision seemed plausible because historically things were done that way (and much of rad onc's sister specialty, radiology, is governed only by general supervision rules since forever), technology kept making radiation (and lots of other medical treatments too) safer and shorter and less scary thus allowing non-medical bureaucrats to countenance a general supervision world, and finally I still can't find any other country on the planet who has a strict, governmentally-mandated direct supervision requirement like the US had. If the government (and to some extent the legal system) hadn't fiddled around in medicine artificially inflating the need for US radiation oncologists none of this fiasco would have happened in the first place.

To the OP... I am genuinely, truly sorry. I am sorry for everyone.
I would also add one depressing thought to this: use your imagination and think what APM will bring once it's fully implemented.

Because it will be.

Last edited: