Women and Makeup ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you finished working that 16 hr day and you are exhausted (and look it).

Any tips for makeup that women would like to share? I remember when I had my 16 hr days with working full time and in school full time I even gave up on makeup. It never lasts, constantly have to touch up, but I want to maintain a professional appearance with my uneven skin tone (and possible blemishes!). But some either just wear off, cake off, look so fake, or just aren't very "skin" friendly for those of us with sensitive skin!!!

So any make up brands you like? Any make up tips in general?

Spill it girls!

Members don't see this ad.

i have sensitive skin and have been very happy with clinique's "almost makeup" line. it's an oil-free moisturizer/foundation but is light and fresh and does not feel cakey at all. they have several lines of foundation and this is the lightest coverage. it blends really well and i find that my skin still feels great at the end of a long day - it's never burned or caused an allergic reaction. i also find it refreshing in the middle of the day to splash cold water on my face - wakes me up and keeps my skin happy.:)

So you finished working that 16 hr day and you are exhausted (and look it).

Any tips for makeup that women would like to share? I remember when I had my 16 hr days with working full time and in school full time I even gave up on makeup. It never lasts, constantly have to touch up, but I want to maintain a professional appearance with my uneven skin tone (and possible blemishes!). But some either just wear off, cake off, look so fake, or just aren't very "skin" friendly for those of us with sensitive skin!!!

So any make up brands you like? Any make up tips in general?

Spill it girls!

I use Neutrogena for everything: face lotion slightly tinted, with powder over it, and a subtle tinted chapstick. My life so far (military & physics) has been suited to very, very light make-up only -- but I didn't want to wear none and look awful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to wear more make-up in college, but it has gotten less and less as the years passed :laugh: Now I just wear natural color lipstick and Clinique eyebrow shaper.

I kind of like my Covergirl concealer. It's as big as a pen, so touching up is quick and easy and I wore it for almost 24 hours and didn't need to touch up.

When I get my eyebrows done (threaded - indian style) I never have to worry about eyeliner because the brows stay neat for several weeks. SO eyebrows are one things I never have to worry about.

When I get my eyebrows done (threaded - indian style) I never have to worry about eyeliner because the brows stay neat for several weeks. SO eyebrows are one things I never have to worry about.

what does eyeliner have to do with brows. i thread my own eyebrows but i still wear eyeliner :confused:

I'm a makeup junkie. Some of my favorites:

*Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer - Great because it combines a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen and retinol. It's what I use on a daily basis because it's fuss free.
*Revlon Age defying compact makeup- This is a godsend foundation for dry skin! I use this when I want to look more made up
*Loreal True Match blushes- easy to identify your shade because their labeled according to Warm, Cool, and Neutral
*Mascara- Practically anything by Loreal or Maybelline is good.
*Eyeshadow- anything by Mac, they have the most pigment and staying power. I also like Revlon Colorstay 12 Hour eyeshadow quads.
*Brows - NYC makes a great brow kit, I think it's called "Browser" It comes with brow powder, wax, and an applicator. Cheap too.
* When it comes to lips, I like Pout Protectors by Wet n Wild. Sheer, glossy color with spf.

Also, in case you didn't know: Makeupalley.com is a helpful site.

My fave "I'm late and/or feeling lazy" look is to use a tinted moisturizer, followed by blush applied to cheeks and eyelids with a blush brush, Brown mascara on lashes and brows, and a tinted lip balm. I can do this in 5 min. flat.

HTH

I love the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer too! I've also been using the Bare Essentials mineral powder foundations while I'm on more laid back rotations (read: not having to get up really early). It seems to keep my makeup on longer. I use Sephora brand eye shadows and carry my lipgloss with me.

What is eyebrow threading?

See I use bare minerals right nwo too and I feel that its horrible makeup. It feels so icky on my face after a few hours. Maybe its just b/c my skin is oily in the t-zones ... I do like it overall though for coverage ...

I use proactiv for my acne (which has flared up the past year) and neutrogena face wash.

I'm a makeup junkie. Some of my favorites:

*Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer - Great because it combines a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen and retinol. It's what I use on a daily basis because it's fuss free.
*Revlon Age defying compact makeup- This is a godsend foundation for dry skin! I use this when I want to look more made up
*Loreal True Match blushes- easy to identify your shade because their labeled according to Warm, Cool, and Neutral
*Mascara- Practically anything by Loreal or Maybelline is good.
*Eyeshadow- anything by Mac, they have the most pigment and staying power. I also like Revlon Colorstay 12 Hour eyeshadow quads.
*Brows - NYC makes a great brow kit, I think it's called "Browser" It comes with brow powder, wax, and an applicator. Cheap too.
* When it comes to lips, I like Pout Protectors by Wet n Wild. Sheer, glossy color with spf.

Also, in case you didn't know: Makeupalley.com is a helpful site.

My fave "I'm late and/or feeling lazy" look is to use a tinted moisturizer, followed by blush applied to cheeks and eyelids with a blush brush, Brown mascara on lashes and brows, and a tinted lip balm. I can do this in 5 min. flat.

HTH
Wow, good to know.
I've always wanted to try a tinted moisterizer but I was too scared it would get too oily and not do anything to even my skin tone.

I like Mabelline Purestay powder foundation, mostly because its like a compact but more coverage.
I usually use that with a bronzer to makes me look more alive and less like a zombie, the only thing i hate about it is it's kind of a shimmery bronzer so sometimes it can look like too much.

I def need new eyeshadows, I tried to substitute colored eyeliners but they fade, smudge, and just don't last.

Also, I'm looking for a matte natural looking lip color.

edit: Omg! That site is awesome! Dr Pepper lipgloss!! AHHHHH! That brings back like 1,000 good memories which I totally forgot I had.

I love the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer too! I've also been using the Bare Essentials mineral powder foundations while I'm on more laid back rotations (read: not having to get up really early). It seems to keep my makeup on longer. I use Sephora brand eye shadows and carry my lipgloss with me.

What is eyebrow threading?

THreading is when they use a thread to shape eyebrows, it like pulls out the hair in a straight line usually and you usually have to go to a pro.

Members don't see this ad :)
(okay, this is going to be really long-winded, sorry!)

Two words: Laura Mercier.

Most amazing make-up out there, by far, and I've tried everything. The tinted moisturizer (I use the oil-free one) may be more than enough for some people, but I use the concealer, too, and it's miraculous - it conceals anything. The line's hella expensive, but well worth it!

So my advice? Tinted moisturizer, a long-lasting, non-cakey concealer like the Laura Mercier one, and a good powder like Physician's Formula. Don't bother with Revlon or CoverGirl or the other drug store brands - they don't last as long and they're the ones that tend to turn orange throughout the day. PF is the only one that works for me, besides the obscenely expensive Laura Mercier powder.

I feel like a lot of women overdo their eye makeup...mascara and a neutral eyeshadow (think the color of your blush, or possible blush if you don't use one right now) should do fine. Brown or neutral eyeliner works well, too, but it's hard to find an eyeliner that stays put all day. Black eyeliner looks bad during the daytime unless you're really dark skinned.

I have a lot of trouble finding lip color because I'm *very* pale and everything looks too fake on me, but I really like the Burt's Bees lip colors that you can get at Bath & Body Works. They're creamy and moisturizing (with this minty tingle) but they wear off naturally, so you don't end up with lipstick lines around your lips or anything on your teeth.

Also, and this may sound crazy...if you can find 20 free minutes during the day (and I know it'll be hard), try to wash your face entirely and re-apply everything. You'll look a lot fresher and it's easier to touch up your face when your make-up's only been on your face for 6 hours instead of 12.

Finding a good skin care line is important, too. I've tried a lot of different things (I used to have horrible acne) and honestly, the only thing that ever did anything was birth control. I'm on ortho-cyclen and while I have a few blemishes in the same areas, my makeup pretty much covers everything, so no one can ever tell. I use the Burt's Bees tomato complexion soap (and the peach exfoliating scrub once every few days), the toner, the herbal blemish stick and the moisturizer. It's an investment but I it's definitely improved my skin even after I went on the pill. How is proactive working for you?

Best of luck!

Have you tried foundation primer? It prevents foundation from getting cakey and makes it last longer too. Smashbox Photofinish primer is a good one (you can get it from Sephora).

what does eyeliner have to do with brows. i thread my own eyebrows but i still wear eyeliner :confused:

When someone threads my brows, my brows are more defined, thus I don't need to add any makeup to my eyebrows. Sorry for the confusion. I was not referring to eyeliner (but I don't wear eyeliner either!)

Anyone have any good tips for the dark circles under the eyes? As previously mentioned, I don't have lots of sophisticated make-up experience, but I'm starting to notice these more as I get older. (and white hairs, too! but those I'm just going to live with)

I use concealer. There are some good ones out there that are good neutralizing colors. physicians formula or what ever was good. They have a stick of two types of concealer. I also have a pretty good makeup with Bare Minerals with concealing. I was surprised at how well just the foundation covers. :thumbup:

as for white hairs ... hair dye works ;)

Anyone have any good tips for the dark circles under the eyes? As previously mentioned, I don't have lots of sophisticated make-up experience, but I'm starting to notice these more as I get older. (and white hairs, too! but those I'm just going to live with)

Covergirl fresh complexion is awesome, it's like $5 and it's pretty liquidy so you don't have to tug much at sensitive under eye skin.

I like Maybelline Age rewind concealer. Also, if you want a good at-home remedy for dark circles, try this:
Put 1 tsp of regular unflavored gelatin (like Knox brand) in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of boiling water and mix. Put it on with a cotton ball (make sure its not too hot), leave on for about 30 min, then rinse. Do this daily for about a week and then every once in a while for maintence. Gelatin is high in Vit K and Biotin which is apparently why this works.​

My face is oily so make-up slips right off my face. So my trick is to focus on skin care and make-up becomes unnecessary. I use Oxy 10 to wash, clindomycin topical solution, and retin-a as advised by my dermatologist. Then I use toner for oily skin, apply an anti-aging syrum, eye cream, anti-puffy gel under the eye, then sunblock. Personal product line of choice is BeautiControl but I'm sure others are just as good.

Recently I've added monthly facials as part of the skin care regimen. Microderm abrasion may be added later. Also have had positive results with botox.

For dark circles, I use a green colored cover-up. The green neutralizes the darkness and does a lot better than a skin tone color cover-up. Also the color of clothing that is closest to my face makes a huge difference on how my face looks. Wear colors that enhance your natural beauty.

The last thing I do, when not wearing make-up is to curl my lashes and smile my $25,000 smile. Teeth whitener is provided by my dentist.

There are many ways to enhance natural beauty and not have to deal with make-up through out the day. Another key factor to beautiful skin is drinking lots of water, eat healthy foods, and quit smoking. Freshning up will be a thing of the past. :D

I am actually considering having my makeup permanently applied (brows and eyeliner). Because it is not applied as deep as traditional tattoos it lasts a few years (not too much commitment) but as a mom and M1-to-be it will save me valuable time. My family friend just had her brows, eyeliner, and lips just done and it looks very natural.

It does really matter who does it though. I know a woman that went to a training school and had a student do hers :eek: ...it looks horrible!

I am actually considering having my makeup permanently applied (brows and eyeliner). Because it is not applied as deep as traditional tattoos it lasts a few years (not too much commitment) but as a mom and M1-to-be it will save me valuable time. My family friend just had her brows, eyeliner, and lips just done and it looks very natural.

It does really matter who does it though. I know a woman that went to a training school and had a student do hers :eek: ...it looks horrible!

DAMN! That would suck if it was messed up.

I want to be like that lady who was on TV as the Human Barbie doll. Mostly I want her hair and car.

i hardly wear makeup (i only wear it on a special occasion), but I do put on moisturizers and eye cream daily(both w/ SPF), and I have been cleaning my face with a refining exfoliator once a week. Speaking of beauty products, I don't want to put lots of chemicals on my face...

i'm not a big fan of makeup anyway..

I love buying and trying new makeup items. My best friend happens to work at Bloomingdales so the makeup gal she is friends with also gives her a lot of free makeup which is kindly passed on to me free. In my experience with makeup I have found that I am not a fan of drugstore makeup. I have tried most department store/sephora brands and this is what I use:

After moisturizing (have been using anti-wrinkle creams with SPF since early 20's to keep the suckers from forming in the first place), I use Shiseido Pre Makeup Cream. It keeps me matte and feels very light. Over this I use Stila powder wetted with H2O and then pat a little of it dry on top to set it.

The longest lasting shadows I have used, also non cakey, were Benefit cream shadows. I currently use Stila powder shadows but if I want them to last all day and night I put a base of Benefit Lemon Aid on the lids first and then the powder shadow on top. It won't budge or cake or crease. Mac has nice shadows. Clinique cream shadows crease easily.

I use Benefit Bad Gal eye liner or Lorac with the glitter bits if I am in a sparkly mood.

I don't use mascara regularly but if I do it is Dior (regular) or Shiseido (waterproof). I always curl my lashes and hold the curler in place at least 10 seconds.

To keep lipstick on I first apply Benefit Lip Plump and let it dry for a minute. Then I line it and fill in completely. I like Stila or Benefit lip liners. I think Mac comes off too easily. Then I put either/or both lipstick on top or a lip gloss or a lip plumper. I use Stila Lip Glaze, and Stila and Benefit lipsticks. Clinique lipsticks come off too easy. Lauder is ok. Mac is no good. I like Sovage's lip plumper.

It sounds complicated but it takes 5-10 minutes to do and lasts a long time. It is also very natural looking depending on the colors you select. You can have a makeup counter gal help you with that.

I never looked like I had just been on call during morning reports thanks to my makeup regimen. Oh, and sleeping with hair in a bun, when the bun is released in the AM instead of post call bed head I'd have waves adding to the refreshed look.

Isn't there a generic makeup brand (sally something or other) that has a spray for your face that's supposed to keep your makeup on? It sounds like it'd be bad for your skin, but maybe it works.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but Dr. Feelgood is pretty amazing. It's available at sephora in a silver tin and it's a balm that you put either under or on top of your face makeup (whatever brand you use). I feel like it keeps my makeup on forever and doesn't make my skin feel gross.

See I use bare minerals right nwo too and I feel that its horrible makeup. It feels so icky on my face after a few hours. Maybe its just b/c my skin is oily in the t-zones ... I do like it overall though for coverage ...

I use proactiv for my acne (which has flared up the past year) and neutrogena face wash.

Really? I use Bare Minerals and I L-O-V-E it! :love:
Great coverage, long lasting, and I can't even feel it on my face. Best of all, it looks very natural. Using the mineral veil over the foundation helps me w/ oiliness.

I also use proactive, but since I started using Bare Minerals, my breakouts have dramatically decreased. I’ve found that with proactive, a good moisturizer is a must. I use MD Formulations moisture defense antioxidant lotion. It’s pricy, but worth it in my opinion.

Orgions brand makeup lasts all day long, including the eye makeup.:thumbup: Cover girl pressed powder works well too.

I love buying and trying new makeup items. My best friend happens to work at Bloomingdales so the makeup gal she is friends with also gives her a lot of free makeup which is kindly passed on to me free. In my experience with makeup I have found that I am not a fan of drugstore makeup. I have tried most department store/sephora brands and this is what I use:

After moisturizing (have been using anti-wrinkle creams with SPF since early 20's to keep the suckers from forming in the first place), I use Shiseido Pre Makeup Cream. It keeps me matte and feels very light. Over this I use Stila powder wetted with H2O and then pat a little of it dry on top to set it.

The longest lasting shadows I have used, also non cakey, were Benefit cream shadows. I currently use Stila powder shadows but if I want them to last all day and night I put a base of Benefit Lemon Aid on the lids first and then the powder shadow on top. It won't budge or cake or crease. Mac has nice shadows. Clinique cream shadows crease easily.

I use Benefit Bad Gal eye liner or Lorac with the glitter bits if I am in a sparkly mood.

I don't use mascara regularly but if I do it is Dior (regular) or Shiseido (waterproof). I always curl my lashes and hold the curler in place at least 10 seconds.

To keep lipstick on I first apply Benefit Lip Plump and let it dry for a minute. Then I line it and fill in completely. I like Stila or Benefit lip liners. I think Mac comes off too easily. Then I put either/or both lipstick on top or a lip gloss or a lip plumper. I use Stila Lip Glaze, and Stila and Benefit lipsticks. Clinique lipsticks come off too easy. Lauder is ok. Mac is no good. I like Sovage's lip plumper.

It sounds complicated but it takes 5-10 minutes to do and lasts a long time. It is also very natural looking depending on the colors you select. You can have a makeup counter gal help you with that.

I never looked like I had just been on call during morning reports thanks to my makeup regimen. Oh, and sleeping with hair in a bun, when the bun is released in the AM instead of post call bed head I'd have waves adding to the refreshed look.

Wow, great detailed post. Thanks!

I just found a great product for french manicures at home. Sephora has this combo bottle with the bed color on one end and the clear "whitening" polish on the other end - with brushes into both. Think bottle - handle - bottle. Coupled it with the French tips manicure pen (a pen with white nail polish in it) - it did a really nice looking, quick french manicure. It took me about 25 minutes to do fingers and toes! It seemed to be easier to control the nail polish with the double ended thing - it makes a longer handle to hold.
Have fun!

I have a pretty complex make-up/skin care regimen, but I'm sure it'll be simplified when I start med school. For now, I wash my face 2x daily with the Shiseido face wash in the white bottle, and I use a softener and a morning and nighttime moisturizer by Shiseido. Then I put the MAC fast response eye cream on my eye lids and under my eyes. Apparently, it's supposed to get rid of dark circles and lines, but I don't really notice a difference. The good thing is, if some eye shadow falls below my eye, it's really easy to wipe up.

Then I put on the MAC Paints in Bare Canvas as a primer for eye shadow. This is the key to keeping eye shador/liner on during the day. When I don't use it, all of my eye make-up ends up creased in the center of my eye lid, but when I do use it, my make-up stays perfect even after I've forgotten to take it off at night! I use MAC eye shadows and the black eye shadow with an angled brow brush for eyeliner. I use cheap waterproof mascara from target.

For face, I used to wear Laura Mercier foundation, which was really lightweight and smooth, but I felt like it didn't give me enough coverage, so I switched to the MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I also use some MAC concealer. To set the make-up and help combat shine, I use the MAC select sheer loose powder. It makes my skin look almost airbrushed and really does help the make-up last longer. Then I add a little bronzer and some chapstick.

In case you can't tell, I really like MAC make-up. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it. I haven't found any other eye shadows that last as long and are as potent as MAC's. You don't have to keep rubbing/patting it on to get color on your entire eye lid.

My make-up routine may seem a bit complicated, but it does last a lot longer than other ways. Oh, and for blemishes, I like to use Kiehl's blue herbal on-the-spot treatment (I think that's what it's called), although anything with a good amount of salicylic acid would probably work just as well. Birth control is definitely the solution for acne. As soon as I stopped taking it, the zits returned! :(

Then I put on the MAC Paints in Bare Canvas as a primer for eye shadow. This is the key to keeping eye shador/liner on during the day.

No lie! That stuff is AMAZING. When you're in a real hurry, it works by itself too (at least for me - super pale) -- it covers up the pinkish discoloration and little vessels on the eyelids that make you look tired and old. And for going out, if you're doing a smoky eye or a lot of colored shadow, the colors go on brighter, blend easier, and stay forever.

I am a product ***** and a skincare fanatic. Other people have cigarettes and alcohol, but I have products.

Start with great skin care and you'll wear less makeup, as people have already said. Philosophy's Makeup Optional line is so fantastic. I get so many comments on my skin now that I use it religiously. It consists of their Purity face wash, a 2-step microdermabrasion kit that is spectacular, a firming serum, Hope in a Jar moisturizer which is also fantastic, and a clear primer that smooths lines. Seriously. It's not that expensive, especially compared to a lot of the other lines.

Anyway, I wear little to no foundation at work but use Chantecaille when I do -- very sheer. Stila Convertible Color blush or a Tarte cheek stain. Anastasia brow powder. The MAC Bare Paints on the lids, with Nars' All About Eve shadow duo, then Benefit Bad Gal mascara -- no smudges, and it's not even waterproof. I don't do lipstick or gloss, I think it's a bit much for the hospital. Just lip balm.

Now I want to go to Sephora................ :D

I must admit I have gone to the extremes. I do not have time for that. One reason I like very short hair is to eliminate time wasted in shampooing & drying. I figure 20 mins of doing that 3x a week that is 48 hrs. a year just for freakin showers. I have 3 mins showers & up I am gone. Its been too long I don't own a hairbrush.I floss my teeth on stoplights. I have underwears that can last a lifetime coz this is all I change everyday.The rest I recycle or if I really,really like it , I stop by the laundrymat. A friend of mine who is a public defender atty. this one is worst than anyone I know. She literally change once a week & she sleeps most of the time wearing the ssame clothes. But let me tell you , she is the best lawyer I came across in this planet.

I must admit I have gone to the extremes. I do not have time for that. One reason I like very short hair is to eliminate time wasted in shampooing & drying. I figure 20 mins of doing that 3x a week that is 48 hrs. a year just for freakin showers. I have 3 mins showers & up I am gone. Its been too long I don't own a hairbrush.I floss my teeth on stoplights. I have underwears that can last a lifetime coz this is all I change everyday.The rest I recycle or if I really,really like it , I stop by the laundrymat. A friend of mine who is a public defender atty. this one is worst than anyone I know. She literally change once a week & she sleeps most of the time wearing the ssame clothes. But let me tell you , she is the best lawyer I came across in this planet.

Dude. SRSLY. :eek:

La Bella Donna Mineral Makeup. Difficult to find. There is a website. They will send you free samples if you email for the phone number in nyc. It is much better than Bare Minerals for my sensative skin. Looks flawless and covers beautifully. The key to application is in the brushes: one for application and a cover up brush. I use the loose minerals with the recommended application brush and use the same stuff to cover up blemishes and under eyes discoloration iwth the cover up brush. All can be done in approx 1 minute. No makeup lines. No breakouts. SPF naturally.

I then use eyebrow gel. Groomed eyebrows can make a female or male face look so much cleaner. approx 10 sec.

Quick mineral color on cheeks approx 10 sec and done in less than 2 minutes.

If I want to make a better impression...I do a little more eye makup. approx 5-10minutes for mascara + eyeliner.

It can all be done quick!!!

Lemme get this straight. Do you buy undies, wear once and throw away?
When you floss, do you just suck all that junk down? You know, all the little pieces of old food on the floss? EEWWW!!
What do you mean when you say "recycle" underwear?
Does your friend not change her underwear or outer clothes or both?
Although I'm not quite clear on all the above yet, it still sounds pretty NASTY!!!!!!
You cannot seriously be that busy. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any recommendations for white eyebrow hairs?

I am naturally blonde so FOR NOW, the white hairs aren't that noticeable from a distance. However, I was just home and I noticed something weird about my mother...turns out she has, for years, been plucking out all the white hairs. So she has like 5 hairs now and looks a little harsh (and crazy).

I do not want to do that but am wondering about the inevitable day when the majority of the hairs are white. The hair is so coarse that I would think dye wouldn't work well...or would it? Is there any liquid mascara type stuff that would be light enough to match or coordinate with my head hair? Seems like a pencil would rub off but I have used the clear eyebrow grooming gel to good effect. It would be nice to have a similar, but colored product.

I am a fair bit of a cosmetics freak but cannot recall ever seeing something like this in a light enough color (I have seen brown and black).

Not makeup but skin care related -- I'm going to give a big thumbs up for Paula's Choice beta hydroxy lotion. I've been using it for about two months now (and on still on my first bottle!), and it's made my skin tone more even and I think more radiant. It's also good for controlling redness. I've started with 1% but think I'll get 2% on my next order. You have to order her stuff online at www.paulaschioce.com. You can get samples for practically nothing, and you get 3 free samples of other products with every order you place. If you check out her site, you can see that her products are pretty affordable, too, and I think she really knows her stuff when talking about skin care.

For sunscreen, I'm also going to give props for Neutrogena's Age-Defying line. It doesn't make your skin look oily, which is a real problem with lots of sunscreens, and supposedly it's UVA formulation is a more stable one.

And I recently bought a foundation that I like. It's the active foundation from Revlon. It's cheap, light and seems to hold up for most of the day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for white eyebrow hairs?

I am naturally blonde so FOR NOW, the white hairs aren't that noticeable from a distance. However, I was just home and I noticed something weird about my mother...turns out she has, for years, been plucking out all the white hairs. So she has like 5 hairs now and looks a little harsh (and crazy).

I do not want to do that but am wondering about the inevitable day when the majority of the hairs are white. The hair is so coarse that I would think dye wouldn't work well...or would it? Is there any liquid mascara type stuff that would be light enough to match or coordinate with my head hair? Seems like a pencil would rub off but I have used the clear eyebrow grooming gel to good effect. It would be nice to have a similar, but colored product.

I am a fair bit of a cosmetics freak but cannot recall ever seeing something like this in a light enough color (I have seen brown and black).

Many salons where I live do eyebrow tinting - usually to lighten very dark, harsh looking brows, but I bet they could cover the white as well. You may want to check a few salons where you live.

Many salons where I live do eyebrow tinting - usually to lighten very dark, harsh looking brows, but I bet they could cover the white as well. You may want to check a few salons where you live.

I could try that...my mother had me convinced that the hair was so coarse (the white hairs being coarser than the usual coarse eyebrow hairs) that dye wouldn't "take"...I guess she tried it with one of her home hair color thingys. I'd rather a professional do it, being so close to my eyes. I wonder how long it would last 'cause eyebrow hairs seem to grow fast.

Thanks...

Hello!

I am just now discovering this forum and love it already - we women need our own spot to talk girly. :love:

I swear by MAC. I don't have a complicated routine - MAC concealer stick for under eye shadows and then MAC studiofix pressed powder - I take the compact with me and use it for touchups. Usually I wash my face along with the turkish bath :smuggrin: and redo makeup postcall. I also use MAC eyeliner and a bit of lipliner - both stay put very well and I only need update the powder once.

To Lakambini19: :scared:

I have super sensitive skin, no matter what I use, I get break-outs, and rashes. Also, if I use any of that Oxy/clearosil stuff, I get really dry skin, and then rebound oily skin, and pimples. All I use daily is Nuetrogenia SPF oil-free lotion, and Covergirl loose powder and Revlon black eyeliner. So, of course by lunch, my face is shiny, and my eyeliner is smudgy. Does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do about this? Maybe a better powder? Or reapply in the afternoon? I just want to look fresh and professional, without paying for it with pimples.

I swear by Proactive- the commercials are real, girls! It really transformed my skin. But it does have a small side effect on me: it dries up my skin a bit. So I use it once a day: just at night righ before I go to bed. But Shiseido has a line especially for break-out prone skin....it's called Pureness line. I use the cleansing water to remove makeup at night, and in the morning to wipe up some excess oil. The I put on the Matyfying, oil-free moisturizer (it's very light, non-greay and absorbs instantly!) I just bought this line of makeup called Raw minerals...it's a bit pricey, but it just looks gorgeous! It's the same idea as the bare minerals line. My make up routine takes about 5-10 minutes, but it does last all day :)

PS netrogena has a great face wash/mask product that I use just for the mask about 1-2/week, and it keeps my face looking very fresh!

I have super sensitive skin, no matter what I use, I get break-outs, and rashes. Also, if I use any of that Oxy/clearosil stuff, I get really dry skin, and then rebound oily skin, and pimples. All I use daily is Nuetrogenia SPF oil-free lotion, and Covergirl loose powder and Revlon black eyeliner. So, of course by lunch, my face is shiny, and my eyeliner is smudgy. Does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do about this? Maybe a better powder? Or reapply in the afternoon? I just want to look fresh and professional, without paying for it with pimples.

I would suggest you buy makeup that is not available in the drugstore. These foundations and powders often have chemicals in it that irritate the skin. Try something hypoallergenic like MAC powder. Applying the powder to your eyelids before applying eyeliner will help the eyeliner last longer. Also, it is easier to carry pressed powder around for touch-ups. Try proactive or cetaphil for oily skin to try and keep the oil production and pimples at bay. Hope that helps. :)

I would suggest you buy makeup that is not available in the drugstore.

Actually, a lot of the drugstore brands are owned by companies that also sell department store brands. For instance, Lancome and L'oreal are owned by the same company so they both sell very similar products under different names. :)

Please read this. It saved my skin!

I know this thread's been dead a while, and I have only worn make-up twice in the past year, but I've got a question:

My skin is INSANELY dry. I mean, even washing it daily makes it crack, flake, and peel.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, yet fairly inexpensive moisturizer that won't make me feel oily? I was using Johnson and Johnson's Clean and Clear, though it was a) semi-glittery and b) smelled weird. Right now I'm using Vaseline, but that's a little too heavy...and it's technically a hand lotion anyway.

I'm looking for a face lotion and something for the rest of my body that isn't very greasy. Like I said, I would also appreciate something relatively inexpensive, as I'm living on a student budget.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

I use Cetaphil, which you can get without a prescription. Burts Bees banana hand cream is also great, but is a bit greasy.

Any chance you have a thyroid hormone deficiency? That can cause super dry and flaky skin.

I know this thread's been dead a while, and I have only worn make-up twice in the past year, but I've got a question:

My skin is INSANELY dry. I mean, even washing it daily makes it crack, flake, and peel.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, yet fairly inexpensive moisturizer that won't make me feel oily? I was using Johnson and Johnson's Clean and Clear, though it was a) semi-glittery and b) smelled weird. Right now I'm using Vaseline, but that's a little too heavy...and it's technically a hand lotion anyway.

I'm looking for a face lotion and something for the rest of my body that isn't very greasy. Like I said, I would also appreciate something relatively inexpensive, as I'm living on a student budget.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. This is probably the only product that I can't live without. It doesn't feel like lotion, just hydrates the skin there is no oilness to it. It's about $20 a bottle, but for me usually lasts about 2 years and I use it at least twice daily.

On that note, I also heard that Cetaphil is a good one if you want lotion for the rest of the body. My sister uses it and she loves it because it's not oily. Also relatively inexpensive.