women in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothache

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been hearing a lot of negative things about women going into dentistry, i don't want to list them right now since i know it will probably offend the ladies. but just want to know the pros and cons, and what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a female attending dental school class of 2008.

I don't know any negatives. Please list them and I won't get offended.

Dentistry is not all about physical because if it were, we would all have our jaws broken and janked out of our faces.

One of the arguements is that there is a decreasing supply of dentist and adding women to the picture may further aggravate this. Roughly a little more then one third of the entering classes in d-school is women.

Some say women may use their degree for a limited time and then stop practicing, in esence become homemakers.

Well let me tell you something, the majority of women do not think so...hell I got my ear talked off 3 weeks ago at lunch by some fellow classmates that are female. When it is time for a family, they will work up to a month before the term is due and return to work in less then 2 years.

Is there an issue, maybe or maybe not. In my opinion there just might be. I know my fiance and myself, when we will be having kids she will stay home (her choice not mine) until they are in about 4th grade or so. So that will be one less PA for about 9 years or so. Will dental women do the same....I have no clue???

I would love to hear some SDN females opinions on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard the same argument from a few practicing dentists. The shortage of dentists being compounded by females only working part time or not at all after starting a family.

Again, I dont agree with this, it is just something I have heard. I don't have any data to back this up, so take it with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
. Roughly a little more then one third of the entering classes in d-school is women.

At least here in Texas, it is closer to 50% I think

i think one of the big negatives about female in dental school is that fact that we do have to put our lives on hold... I do have female classmmates that are planning to get married etc during school but it's very difficult to start a family and stuff... and for most (not all) most of this stuff will get pushed back...

there's a lot of tough choices you're going to realize that you're going to have to make because of the career path you're choosing... i guess it's the same even if you were to be in a different professional/grad program.

i can't comment on the taking time off for kids thing... no kids planned for the near or far future :p

Okay, let me first prefaces this by saying I am not sexist, and these remarks are not backed by fact.

From an instructor in my school, I was told that it's been shown that an overwhelming % of women leave dentistry within five years of practice. (once again, I do not know the source nor do I know the numbers) A lot of women may say they won't now, but once their first born looks up into their eyes and the maternal instinct kicks in, it's hard to go back. At least this is what a few women dentists who no longer work have explained to me. It is a significant problem in dentistry. The number of female acceptances into dental school has increased (which is a great thing IMO), but this will only continue the shortage down the line, which is not a bad thing for the rest of us.

As far as other issues in dentistry for women, a few of my friends in my class have explained the sexist professors and how they look down on them because they are female. This isn't all professors, but they said it does happen frequently.

Well, what I see quite frankly after talking to a friend of is that Dentistry is actually an excellent field for women. Let me elaborate. I was talking to a female pre-med student who expressed some real concerns with regard to the amount of time it takes to be a practicing physician. One of the main concerns I heard was the increased risk of miscarriage for pregnancies after the age of 30 years. Other concerns include keeping one's physique in shape through those stressful medical school and residency years, there may be a need to "look around" and I can see how this can a concern. I know these issues affect men as well, but she really impressed upon me how much more deeply these things affect women.

In contrast, a dental career allows women to realize their career as soon as age 25. This really helps people settle down and move on with their lives. A dental career helps people realize a career where they can help people and see the satisfaction on the faces of individual people just like a medical career can (in fact more so than in medicine sometimes). This is a career that allows people to use their talents to contribute a highly valued service to society, and the rewards are many. So I think it makes a lot of sense for more females to pursue a dental career.

I know about the physical demands argument, and I think that while it is a pertinent argument, that effective technique can be learned in order to overcome that relative weakness. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses and a big strong person may have a weakness that they need compensate for as well.

Another point (and I feel like a pig saying this) is that if more female dentists enter the field and their record shows a shorter practice life, then that sets the demand supply situation in dentists' favor. As it is the tight control that the ADA and dental schools on the market makes things quite comfortable for people in our position, but the increase in female admissions will exert market pressure even further in that direction.

On a completely unrelated and off topic note, I think that since we have such a beneficial market position as dentists, sometimes it becomes important to spend a little time every once in a while to help people who suffer from a shortage of dental care.

I say the following as a mother, economist and a future dentist:

I think it is an interesting phenomenon that there are now more women in college than men, yet no one is complaining that the American labor force as a whole will suffer.

There are many factors that influence a woman's decision to stay home or not. The higher a woman's earning potential, the less likely it is that she'll stay home and clean diapers all day. The actual profession might actually have a facelift to accomodate for this trend so I won't be worried

As the older generation of dentists retire creating more demand for us in the next couple of years, one might actually see more husbands picking up the slack at home and us female dentists working hard at our million dollar practices :D

Originally posted by kenniemd
I say the following as a mother, economist and a future dentist:

I think it is an interesting phenomenon that there are now more women in college than men, yet no one is complaining that the American labor force as a whole will suffer.

There are many factors that influence a woman's decision to stay home or not. The higher a woman's earning potential, the less likely it is that she'll stay home and clean diapers all day. The actual profession might actually have a facelift to accomodate for this trend so I won't be worried

As the older generation of dentists retire creating more demand for us in the next couple of years, one might actually see more husbands picking up the slack at home and us female dentists working hard at our million dollar practices :D

Possible but there are a lot of factors that influence these things. I think dentists as a whole just really value their time. Dentists as a whole (male or female) actually use their high incomes to reduce their propensity to work. As a group we're the kind of people that if the amount we earn per hour just doubled, we'd work half as many hours (this is a crude example, but we much more likely to work less rather than more).

As for for female dentists making the money and the husbands staying at home - I'd absolutely love that. However I suspect that most female dentists end up marrying guys that have similar income potential though. (usually other dentists, or physicians).

Hello guys,
Since dentistry is an art, I think women are more artistic compared to men.
No offense:)

Hi. I just want to kick in that every dentist I know works incredibly long hours, and not because they make more, but because they are hard working people. They like their free time too, but they play hard AND work hard. Also, there is an even bigger shortage for academic dentists then clinical dentists, so even if women do choose to spend more time at home than men do(which has yet to be shown) they will hopefully begin to fill that very real void.

Originally posted by dentaldoc
Hello guys,
Hello dentaldoc,
Since people are individuals, I think your blanket stereotype is unfounded and stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by aphistis
Since people are individuals, I think your blanket stereotype is unfounded and stupid.
No offense:) [/B][/QUOTE

Hi Aphistits,
Do u think so?....:eek:...Since people are individuals, then why do u think the topic "Women in dentistry" came in to picture. Any way I don't care about ur "thinkings"

Hi Aphistis,
Do u think so?....:eek:...Since people are individuals, then why do u think the topic "Women in dentistry" came in to picture. Any way I don't care about ur "thinkings"
Aw, now come on. At this rate, you're going to end up hurting someone's feelings. So much for your "no offense," eh?

One thing that did surprise me A LOT was that when I went to ADA conferences 2003 in San Francisco, almost all " dentists" " doctors" were men, all assistants, hygienests were women. There was such an odd, overt gender gap.

Very few speakers, who are dentists, are female during the scientific sessions.

Even at the exhibits, salespersons would just assume that women are not dentists at all ! I wasn't surprised when one salesman started vigorously introducing their latest stuff to my husband , totally ignoring me.....

:p

Originally posted by organic
One thing that did surprise me A LOT was that when I went to ADA conferences 2003 in San Francisco, almost all " dentists" " doctors" were men, all assistants, hygienests were women. There was such an odd, overt gender gap.

Even at the exhibits, salespersons would just assume that women are not dentists at all ! I wasn't surprised when one salesman started vigorously introducing their latest stuff to my husband , totally ignoring me.....

I attended my local ADA chapter semi annual meeting last Friday. Out of 150 or so attendees 2 were women. These two talked through the first hour of the lecture until one of them left (only to come back at the last minute to get her CE credit slip). The other one pined the loss of her friend by reading a furniture catalog.

The only conclusion that can be found in this is that women already know everything and can't benefit from CE.

JMHO
Rob

Originally posted by aphistis
Aw, now come on. At this rate, you're going to end up hurting someone's feelings. So much for your "no offense," eh?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No I am not....compared to u:)

Since you think women are more artistic than men, do you have anything to back that up?

Personally, all the famous artists that come to my mind are men and not women.

Vincent Van Gogh
Salvador Dali
Leonardo Da Vinci
Claude Monet
Pablo Picasso
Pierre Auguste Renoir
Andy Warhol
Marc Chagall
Paul Klee

Originally posted by ShawnOne
Since you think women are more artistic than men, do you have anything to back that up?

Vincent Van Gogh
Salvador Dali
Leonardo Da Vinci
Claude Monet
Pablo Picasso
Pierre Auguste Renoir
Andy Warhol
Marc Chagall
Paul Klee
Thanks, Shawn. I was getting a little lonely being the only member of the Evil Misogynist team. :hardy::rolleyes:

Originally posted by organic

There is no doubt that currently dentistry is male-dominated field. That is rapidly changing though, but it will still take a while for things to go 50:50.

Originally posted by alioops
Hi. I just want to kick in that every dentist I know works incredibly long hours, and not because they make more, but because they are hard working people. They like their free time too, but they play hard AND work hard. Also, there is an even bigger shortage for academic dentists then clinical dentists, so even if women do choose to spend more time at home than men do(which has yet to be shown) they will hopefully begin to fill that very real void.

Hello, just out of curiousity do you know how many hours a week the dentists you know work? I might need to adjust my perception of how the field works. Thanks.

Originally posted by ShawnOne

Vincent Van Gogh
Salvador Dali
Leonardo Da Vinci
Claude Monet
Pablo Picasso
Pierre Auguste Renoir
Andy Warhol
Marc Chagall
Paul Klee

u can find the whole list of women artist here:
http://www.wendy.com/women/artists.html

But what I meant by "artistic" is not that..

I am a woman and will be a dentist in May 2004. I have gotten the "Oh, dentistry is a great profession for women - you can work and have kids!" line more times than I can remember. There are women in my class who probably will do this. But for me, kids are the last thing on my mind - #1 life goal right now (after gradutaion) is to have a blast living up my 20s in New York City. Personally, in the sometime future, I wouldn't mind being the one who works and have a stay-at-home-man to do laundry and cook and do other chores I despise. I think dentistry is too much fun to leave it. However, if the tables were turned and I meet someone who outearns me & my dental salary by a ridiculous amount, I'll become a full time academic dentist and hire someone to do the laundry & vacuum. I can't see myself leaving dentistry and as an academic dentist, it would be fun to criticize newbie operative preps for lack of retention & other ridiculous criteria!

There are also women in my class who came to school with only one goal in mind: marry an orthodontist (aka "MRS."degree seekers). "Having babies" is their #1 priority as soon as they graduate. I guess if they were qualified to get admission and and make it through the 4 years, they can do whatever they desire with the degree. I hope some of these women will at least work in a dental school when their kids are old enough and not leave the profession all together.

Well, I am a woman that started out as pre-med and decided to go into dentistry instead and one of the major factors is that the profession is more family-friendly. No one can deny this. Doctors usually average 50-70 hrs a week post-residency (and you're at least 30!) and will never be detached from their beepers. Dentists work an average of 37 hrs. a week, typically regular hrs, and they actually have their nights free. Usually. Now, think about it. If a woman wants to have it all- the job and the kids- she can work "full-time" and still be home at night with her children, cook dinner, help them with their homework, etc. And if her kids aren't in school yet and she wants to be home more, she can work as an associate dentist part-time. I know LOTS of female dentists that do this. I don't see why a dentist wouldn't want another dentist coming in 2-3 a week. It's the same reason why doctors hire nurse practitioner's- more patients for cheaper pay. Also, these women that put 6 figures into their education and get out usually making 100k, how and why could they completely walk away from the profession? And how could you endure 4 years of dental school to find a husband? You could definitely go for a less ambitious health field and still find plenty of eligable, rich Dr.'s. I honestly think that the "Mrs." degree is a stereotype when it comes to doctoral school. Maybe undergrad- but no one goes to school for 8 yrs. to hopefully, maybe, one day, if you're lucky, marry an orthodontist.

Originally posted by sleepy21
I honestly think that the "Mrs." degree is a stereotype when it comes to doctoral school. Maybe undergrad- but no one goes to school for 8 yrs. to hopefully, maybe, one day, if you're lucky, marry an orthodontist.

sleepy21, are you a pre-dent or a dental student? If you are a pre-dent, you'll be surprised when you get to dental school b/c the "Mrs." girls are there too. I know I was surprised. They may not all be looking for the orthodontists in particular, but there are some in every class that are very content with the husbands they've found and don't really want to do much more than graduate and have kids. It sounds hard to believe, to put yourself through all that work for 4 years and not use the DDS, but it's true.

Not only will you see it in your classmates, but you may also see remnants of it in some of your women faculty. I can think of a few women faculty on my clinic floor who fit this scenario, one in particular parades around with a 3.65 carat diamond (yes, she told us the carats) and in between checking our preps, she is reading her magazine or planning a vacation or something. But some of them are dedicated faculty whose husbands are also professionals so they are full time at the school with limited faculty practice. They don't really care too much about having to earn a large salary from dentistry, they are with us it b/c they love it and I think we are very lucky to have these faculty members with the whole faculty shortage going on.

griffin04,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Up until now, I had thought you were a guy. It's great to know that you are a female.

Yeah...Female Power :)

sorry ladies, it seems like no matter what, the negatives out weigh the positives for women in dentistry... men and women are different and play important roles, we are built differently. no matter what people say, ultimately human nature defines us well. men are supposed to hunt and bring home the food while the ladies cook and do all the other things that keep men strong and healthy. physically, and mentally men do over power women based on history, for instance look at our presidents, but men don't have the emotions like a women to care, love, etc..... if men and women are equal for instance in physical aspect, taking the strongest man and strongest woman, the man will win, it's no brainer. i'm not trying to say men are just better than women because this is just an on going debate, but am saying that we each have important roles, and maybe women and dentistry don't really go well, especially if they are planning to have family.

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by toothache
sorry ladies, it seems like no matter what, the negatives out weigh the positives for women in dentistry... men and women are different and play important roles, we are built differently. no matter what people say, ultimately human nature defines us well. men are supposed to hunt and bring home the food while the ladies cook and do all the other things that keep men strong and healthy. physically, and mentally men do over power women based on history, for instance look at our presidents, but men don't have the emotions like a women to care, love, etc..... if men and women are equal for instance in physical aspect, taking the strongest man and strongest woman, the man will win, it's no brainer. i'm not trying to say men are just better than women because this is just an on going debate, but am saying that we each have important roles, and maybe women and dentistry don't really go well, especially if they are planning to have family.

That whole post is just absurd.

but men don't have the emotions like a women to care, love, etc.....

......not to agree with your logic, but that is exactly why we need more women in healthcare (not to say men can't be compassionate and emotional) You just shot yourself in the foot with that statement.

Are u out of ur mind?...may be u was not normal when u wrote this..

that's why women should go into nursing, hygiene, etc... and critterbug, you should walk a mile in my shoes before you criticize me!!

that's why women should go into nursing, hygiene, etc...

Toothache,
we r in 21st century living in a planet called Earth.
By the way where r u from?:smuggrin:

dentaldoc, please read men are from mars, women are from venus, it will help you.

Don't tell me, this is the consequence becos u read "men r from ..........venus" for god sake that's a wonderfull book. I guess this is the outburst of ur mind not able to cope up with the fact brought about by the changes in centuaries.:smuggrin:

Dentistry= scientist and mechanic. I would say men and women are about equal in science area, however all the great scientist were men. But I personally haven't seen any female mechanics out there, interesting. Come on ladies, don't let the SDN men walk all over you.

Originally posted by dentaldoc
Hello guys,

Well, although my gf dabbles in paintings and graduated with a bio and art degree; I'd still say you are wrong. How many famous master artists do you know who are women? None that I can think of off the bat. Bet you can instantaneously spew quite a few male painters right off the bat. Monet, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Picasso, Dali, etc.

I think dentaldoc meant ?esthetic skills? rather than ?Artistic skills? or ?being world renowned Artist?. Esthetic skills make a person a great craftsman, but not necessarily a great artist. There is a distinction between the two terms. In dentistry we need fine craftsmanship, but not a lot of imagination or creation.

In this sense, a larger percentage of women are better suited for the dental profession, where ?have a good taste? comes in handy. But on the other hand, women are generally less philosophical, logical, and rigorous, making it harder to become a scientist than man.

Related to the topic, I think more guys than girls suffer from bad taste, especially in terms of clothing. Come on, many of us can't even tell a good tie from a bad one. Women definitely use their esthetic faculties more often. Fortunately for me, after many times my wife have said ?you don?t look so good in that?? or ?that coffee table is expensive but looks horrible??, I am slowing learning the skills ;)

Originally posted by totony
I think dentaldoc meant ?esthetic skills? rather than ?Artistic skills? or ?being world renowned Artist?. Esthetic skills make a person a great craftsman, but not necessarily a great artist. There is a distinction between the two terms. In dentistry we need fine craftsmanship, but not a lot of imagination or creation.

In this sense, a larger percentage of women are better suited for the dental profession, where ?have a good taste? comes in handy. But on the other hand, women are generally less philosophical, logical, and rigorous, making it harder to become a scientist than man.

Related to the topic, I think more guys than girls suffer from bad taste, especially in terms of clothing. Come on, many of us can't even tell a good tie from a bad one. Women definitely use their esthetic faculties more often. Fortunately for me, after many times my wife have said ?you don?t look so good in that?? or ?that coffee table is expensive but looks horrible??, I am slowing learning the skills ;)

EXACTLY!:)

Someone SQUASH THIS THREAD!!! :mad: :smuggrin: :mad:

*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*
*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*
*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*
*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*

there. got it. :D

carry on...

I am sorry, I know you all don't want to hear anymore, but... Saying women are not scientists is ridiculous. Even with being pushed into staying at home we still manage to shine through. For example:
Marie Sklodowska Curie
Maria Goeppert Mayer
Marie Sklodowska Curie
Irene Joliot-Curie
Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin
Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
Barbara McClintock
Rita Levi-Montalcini
Gertrude Elion
Christiane Nusslein-Volhard
And those are just the ones who won the nobel prize. So maybe men are physically stronger as a whole, but women, although told we are no good at science, still somehow manage to excel. I think that is strength.

Originally posted by alioops
I am sorry, I know you all don't want to hear anymore, but... Saying women are not scientists is ridiculous. Even with being pushed into staying at home we still manage to shine through. For example:
Marie Sklodowska Curie
Maria Goeppert Mayer
Marie Sklodowska Curie
Irene Joliot-Curie
Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin
Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
Barbara McClintock
Rita Levi-Montalcini
Gertrude Elion
Christiane Nusslein-Volhard
And those are just the ones who won the nobel prize. So maybe men are physically stronger as a whole, but women, although told we are no good at science, still somehow manage to excel. I think that is strength.

I second that:D

Originally posted by trypmo
Someone SQUASH THIS THREAD!!! :mad: :smuggrin: :mad:

*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*
*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*
*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*
*stomp* *stomp* *stomp*

there. got it. :D

carry on...

Excuse me if I hijack this thread:smuggrin:

Here is what I think of woman and dentist...they suck.

just kidding. :D

On a more serious note. I have observed a female dentist, I can vouch by saying that woman tend to be more patient than men, especially with kids. I could only marvel at the patience that this female dentist had dealing with kids. No wonder some dentist say they don't treat kids. Women bring their own unique qualities to the profession and the amount of patience that they bring is a huge plus.:thumbup:

maybe they can't handle stress as well as men....

Maybe you really need to give up the trolling.

haha, I love it :)

maybe they can't handle stress as well as men....

Maybe it's because they can't find guys like yourself to be househusbands. :smuggrin:

I'm confused...why is it so weird that a woman would want a job where she can work 30-40 hrs a week and earn a lot more than she could doing the same hours as a nurse or hygienist or teacher or hairdresser or whatever. I always wanted to do be a physician, but I realized that the typical lifestyle of a medical doc isn't that family friendly, but a dentist....now there is someone with normal hours just like any other profession with just as good pay and you're still helping people with their health... that's a no brainer - to me at least. Also, how does a woman who goes to school and then doesn't practice pay off her loans? I guess she would have to really marry up.

Does everyone here live in a cave? Seriously, it consistantly amazes me how many people are able to make it to this point in their education and presumably personal development while clinging to these ridiculous stereotypes.

(1) Gender differences exist. I applaud those posters who took a data-based approach to this argument. Men and women in general have different strengths to offer the profession. Strong interpersonal skills, which most women spend their entire lives developing, are essential to communication with patients, staff and other professionals. Practice management data shows that the most successful dentists are not those persons who graduated with the highest GPA or who can cut a perfect prep, but rather those who relate best to their patients (thus increasing patient referrals, retention etc). Any man or woman can be good at this - it's simply a fact that women get more opportunity to practice throughout their respective lifetimes

(2) No one complains about a male dentist who drops his practice to 2 days a week when he is 50 so that he can play more golf (or whatever hobby). This sort of thing is so deeply ingrained in the cuture of dentistry, that no one thinks to initiate a study or even to suggest that these dentists stay in practice longer on a full-time basis to bridge the dental shortage. People would think this an absurd suggestion.

(3) Someone asked for personal anecdotes, so here goes. I am a female in the midst of a DDS/PhD program. I have no intention of ever practicing full time. No one bats an eyelash at this, even though my research is not directly clinically applicable - the kind of science that is assigned little value among general dentists and dental students. When I graduate in a few years, I plan to practice part time and research full time. Back to the point, though. My professional degree will allow me to hire both a housekeeper and a nanny. Fantastic opportunity. (hate dishes and diapers)

(4) That said, if a professional female drops out of clinical practice for a few years, the result will be more emotionally balanced, intelligent children to drive the future population. Not a bad deal. I agree with one of the few intelligent posts which suggested that the profession will change in response to the changing practicioner. Much of the negativity coming from the ADA regarding females is a result of that organization still being driven by 'old school' dentists who think it's acceptable to be completely gender-biased. As more broad-minded progressive dentists reach the upper tiers of leadership, the thinking, statements and articles coming from that organization will be modulated to better reflect a more flexible and hopefully open-minded profession.

Come to think of it, I had an interesting encounter in pedo this week.

[On a side note, I am now officially and finally done with all the pedo slavery require by the Univ. at Buffalo FOREVER!!! I like kids, but we are totally treated like slaves in a factory by that dept. and they turn so many of my classmates off from pedo]

I was sitting around, pawning off as many patients as I could to the naive and eager juniors. Two of the junior guys (one will be the practitioner, the other the assistant) get an 8 year old girl. She gets in the chair, and a tear starts rolling down her face. No wailing, just silent tears. She won't open her mouth, she won't talk to the students. After 10 minutes of coaxing and talking with mom, we learn that she wants a "girl doctor" so they all look at me and great, now I have to do work. Anyhow, she was fine when I sat down. She immediately cooperated, opened her mouth when I asked, etc. I checked her teeth and the treatment plan, call over the male attending to check before I get started. He sits down, she refuses to open. I sit down, she opens, he checks over my shoulder, and I get to work and do some sealants.

We made an appointment for her to come in and see a female pedo resident and to have the rest of her treatment done under nitrous.

So you think accomodating the blatant sexual discrimination of this eight-year old was the right thing to do? She is being taught that it is acceptable and appropriate to make judgements about others based solely on gender. This is the reason that sexual bias continues to exist; by allowing it be perpetuated you are as guilty of the crime as those who commit it outright.

Or... maybe not. ;)