Women in OMFS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L8DYV

refreshing
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, im 26 and female. do many women make it through OMFS??

Members don't see this ad.

L8DYV said:

there was a thread about his some time ago. See if you can search for it. It will give you many answers. Gatorette is the only female OMFS (future female OMFS) that I've seen on this forum.

L8DYV said:
We've got one coming next year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you doing your omfs program at??

L8DYV said:
Where are you doing your omfs program at??
He's at LSU Shreveport... At Alabama, I think we have 3 women residents out of the 18 total. I also know that OHSU took a woman this year...

TiggerJSA said:
He's at LSU Shreveport... At Alabama, I think we have 3 women residents out of the 18 total. I also know that OHSU took a woman this year...
18 residents at bama? I thought you just took 2 per year?

where i volunteer, there's a female resident. she is totally cool. she is diminutive but she kicks royal ass. she will be chief resident next year

I hear toofache32 has kleinfelter's...........I guess you can categorize him as female.

fightingspirit said:
where i volunteer, there's a female resident. she is totally cool. she is diminutive but she kicks royal ass. she will be chief resident next year

you're a fu*king tool; you're the biggest piece of **** on this website.

Doggie said:
I hear toofache32 has kleinfelter's...........I guess you can categorize him as female.
Aw, come on.....what's an extra X chromosome between friends?

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
18 residents at bama? I thought you just took 2 per year?
Sorry, we may have like 15. They took 3 this year, and took 3 some other years (I don't think it happens every year). A couple were 4 year international spots in the past, and some years took MD guys. I guess they like to stir the pot a little...

the students that applied from vcu this year were all females and all 3 of them got into sometype of omfs residency ..

Hmmm.. Interesting thread. It is a known fact that the ladies get a plus on thier app for getting in to dental for being "minority." Would you guys say the same thing happens in OMFS?

unlvdmd said:
Hmmm.. Interesting thread. It is a known fact that the ladies get a plus on thier app for getting in to dental for being "minority." Would you guys say the same thing happens in OMFS?
No. We don't give anyone a "plus" for anything related to age, race, or gender. We give interviews based on qualifications, and we select residents based on how they interview.

OMFSCardsFan said:
No. We don't give anyone a "plus" for anything related to age, race, or gender. We give interviews based on qualifications, and we select residents based on how they interview.

Amen! There are some OMFS programs that state they attempt to train "non traditional students" such as King Drew in LA or Howard or .... that one in Tennessee. Most everyone in every other program should get in fair and square and get treated exactly the same.... I personally think that this idea of affirmative action is humiliating and illegitimate and in the end it won't work and achieve the goals that it intends to accomplish. You've heard it here straight from a mexican's mouth....

esclavo said:
I personally think that this idea of affirmative action is humiliating and illegitimate and in the end it won't work and achieve the goals that it intends to accomplish.

I agree with this as well. Especially with people like toofache32 (who's got 2 left thumbs and apparently an extra X-chromosome), I dont think it is medico-legally right to accept sub-par applicants just to fill quotas.

We need more "hot" & "attractive" OMFS female residents...why is it that most, let me repeat "most" OMFS female residents I've met are hurtful to the eyes?

They all have great personalities, but that's about it for them.....

During my interviews this year, I did meet this great, outgoing, good looking OMFS applicant. She was very sociable and above all, pleasing to the eyes! Who ever is going to Montefiore next year, you're very lucky! One of your co-resident is a fun cute girl!

If I were to be working with someone for many years, then having them pleasing to the eyes would be a huge plus! I'm just spoiled by coming to NSUCDM, I guess!

the hot ones hook up with staff.... and then

Yah-E said:
We need more "hot" & "attractive" OMFS female residents...why is it that most, let me repeat "most" OMFS female residents I've met are hurtful to the eyes?

They all have great personalities, but that's about it for them.....

During my interviews this year, I did meet this great, outgoing, good looking OMFS applicant. She was very sociable and above all, pleasing to the eyes! Who ever is going to Montefiore next year, you're very lucky! One of your co-resident is a fun cute girl!

If I were to be working with someone for many years, then having them pleasing to the eyes would be a huge plus! I'm just spoiled by coming to NSUCDM, I guess!

OMFSCardsFan said:
Amen! Finally it works out in some fields like it should: fair and square :D

Yah-E said:

so what? among your male co-residents, you look for professional appeal and among the girls, good looks are a "huge plus"? i thought one ought to look at female co-residents as fellow professionals or friends.

interesting

esclavo said:
in the end it won't work and achieve the goals that it intends to accomplish. You've heard it here straight from a mexican's mouth....

sure, but is there another way to improve the socio-economic status of disadvantaged populations? k-12 improvement would be rather costly to the state and is not in tune with the larger notion of capitalism. perhaps when a solid upper middle class is created for minorities, then we can criticize affirmative action. also, not every mexican is the same. i suppose you know better then everyone else on this site--cus you're mexican yourself--that not all mexicans are the same. some mexicans are the sons and daughters of legal immigrants who are light-featured. others may be the children of illegal imigrants who are not light-featured. same issues apply for other minorities.

fightingspirit said:
sure, but is there another way to improve the socio-economic status of disadvantaged populations? k-12 improvement would be rather costly to the state and is not in tune with the larger notion of capitalism.
Since when is that anyone else's business? Who said the SE status of "disadvantaged" populations deserves improving? Ironically, rich people don't deserve their lot in life either...they could have easily been the one who was born poor/disadvantaged/dumb/liberal. Their are no guarantees in life and it's certainly not the responsibility of the "successful" people to make sure the "disadvantaged" people stay in school and don't make poor decisions. We all want equality....but only with those above us.

Let me clue you in to a little-known secret to most liberals....staying in school & getting a f'in job. Personal responsibility. What a novel idea.

Natural Selection is real, folks.

uhmmmmm, interesting...but getting back to the subject at hand...hehe.... Do women in OMFS have families? What about popping out kids during residency? Is this at all possible?? Do these women residents do this?? How about menopause issues?? Adoption?? Would any sane man even date a woman OMFS resident (good looking of course) and is a lasting marriage possible with the career responsibilities?? Help!! :oops:

L8DYV said:
uhmmmmm, interesting...but getting back to the subject at hand...hehe.... Do women in OMFS have families? What about popping out kids during residency? Is this at all possible?? Do these women residents do this?? How about menopause issues?? Adoption?? Would any sane man even date a woman OMFS resident (good looking of course) and/or is a lasting marriage possible with the career responsibilities?? Help!! :oops:
Just my opinion....but a person can only have 1 full-time job. Two full-time jobs will result in at least one of them being half-assed. In my experience it's usually the "Mom" job which gets compromised. It's easy to rent a mommy during the day but it's not the same.

TiggerJSA said:
I also know that OHSU took a woman this year...

this is true.

I know a female resident at San Antonio (i think it was UTSAHSC) had a kid during medschool with no problems.

Also UF has like 6 women out of 12 residents with 2 women out of four faculty.

side note: how is house hunting hiccup?

toofache32 said:
Ironically, rich people ....

Natural Selection is real, folks.

wow toofache, calm down. i admire your posts and i am not attacking you here but i think you ought to rethink what you posted. i truly wonder if you'd ever say that in an inTview...lol (i guess we tend to be a bit more PC on inTviews but on message boards, we go all out...)..anyways, i did not mention the rich and their connection to affirmative action...but since you mentioned the "rich" and improving SE, then here's my take...

you said:

"Ironically, rich people don't deserve their lot in life either...they could have easily been the one who was born poor/disadvantaged/dumb/liberal.".

..this is precisely why we need to provide at least some sort of help to the disadvantaged...in other words, it could have been you and it could have been me. it might be easy for you to speak with such a tone, as you're in the bright side of it. would your tone be like this if you were in the dark side?....it is also sad that nowadays, people are equating being liberal with being dumb and lazy. liberals are not dumb, nor are they lazy. liberals, like non-liberals, can be smart or dumb. why did you have to strip every liberal of his/her individuality and brand them as dumb and lazy? you could have made your point without the branding.

you also said:

"Their are no guarantees in life and it's certainly not the responsibility of the "successful" people to make sure the "disadvantaged" people stay in school and don't make poor decisions. We all want equality....but only with those above us"

well, by the same token, we ought to shut down our state schools; after all, why should we take taxes from the rich and use them to fund public universities where mostly the middle and lower classes go? after all, the successful people can afford private lessons for their kids, then those would do well at SATs and then get into private schools....
i dont know where you went to school toofache but i am going to stony brook this year and i know for sure that stony does not depend on the taxes paid by the lower middle class and lower class. it depends on the state of New York, which in turn depends on taxes that come from well-to-do folks; the less rich people pay in taxes to the state of new york, the less funding my future d-school would get. i certainly hope to see stony continue its mission, as opposed to being shut down.

as an immigrant, city and state funded schools have been my door and my equal opportunity to attain the american dream

and you said:

"Let me clue you in to a little-known secret to most liberals....staying in school & getting a f'in job. Personal responsibility. What a novel idea."

here, you are contradicting the first portion of your argument. i am a darwin junkie and i concur with you regarding the "lot in life".
we dont have control over where we get born and where we get raised and what race we are. this goes hand in hand with the notion that we dont have full control over the conditions that place us at a disadvantage in life. yet, in the above quote, you give the impression that the "poor/dumb/liberals" have control over their "lot"....they may have some, but not full control. you are successfull and you've made it to OMFS. a bit of compassion would do no harm....just may take..i dont mean to be a wise a-s-s or anything...my posts tend to be misunderstood :D

fightingspirit said:
some mexicans are the sons and daughters of legal immigrants who are light-featured. others may be the children of illegal imigrants who are not light-featured. same issues apply for other minorities.
If only immigration knew this, then they could just look for all the "not light-featured" Mexicans to send back...

OMFSCardsFan said:
If only immigration knew this, then they could just look for all the "not light-featured" Mexicans to send back...

omfscards, do you get paid for finding flaws in my arguments? ...why dont you bug someone else man? ...there are plenty of flawed arguments on this website but mine seem to really get your systems going...lol...i did not mean that EVERY illegal mexican is dark-featured. i was just tryin to describe a disadvantaged status. besides, i am sure you know that if INS really wanted to hunt down mexicans, it would find each and every one of them....they would not have to rely on physical traits whatsoever....

fightingspirit said:
omfscards, do you get paid for finding flaws in my arguments?
It'd be great if I did...I'd make a goddamn fortune. I find it interesting that you manage to turn every single post into an argument, yet you can't put together a single cohesive, intelligent statement once you've started it.

After reading my own posts, I think I came across as an a$$hole. Even though this is true, I didn't mean to come across that way. I apologize if it seemed like a personal attack because it wasn't. I just get worked up easily over this because I work with people daily who abuse the system with a sly grin on their faces...knowing they can just work the system without giving back to it.

fightingspirit said:
you said:

"Ironically, rich people don't deserve their lot in life either...they could have easily been the one who was born poor/disadvantaged/dumb/liberal.".

..this is precisely why we need to provide at least some sort of help to the disadvantaged...in other words, it could have been you and it could have been me. it might be easy for you to speak with such a tone, as you're in the bright side of it. would your tone be like this if you were in the dark side?....it is also sad that nowadays, people are equating being liberal with being dumb and lazy. liberals are not dumb, nor are they lazy. liberals, like non-liberals, can be smart or dumb. why did you have to strip every liberal of his/her individuality and brand them as dumb and lazy? you could have made your point without the branding.

Grouping liberals in with these other sad souls was just a joke. BTW, we all know laziness isn't a factor as much as some people would think. There are "disadvantaged" people around here who work just as many hours per week as me, and they are still unable to obtain health insurance. And TX_OMS spent 80 hours a week trying to get laid in dental school, but it never happened. He finally had to find a lady dick-doc to get some play.

fightingspirit said:
you also said:

"Their are no guarantees in life and it's certainly not the responsibility of the "successful" people to make sure the "disadvantaged" people stay in school and don't make poor decisions. We all want equality....but only with those above us"

well, by the same token, we ought to shut down our state schools; after all, why should we take taxes from the rich and use them to fund public universities where mostly the middle and lower classes go? after all, the successful people can afford private lessons for their kids, then those would do well at SATs and then get into private schools....

I don't have a beef with paying taxes and supporting education. I support the idea of people becoming educated regardless of socio-economic status. The "problem people" I referred to at the beginning of this post aren't the college-educated types. I'm talking about the ones who don't want your help, they just want your free stuff. Why would they bother going to college when they can just live off government programs without the effort? What's the incentive to become educated when they've already grown up in that environment and realize they will still survive? It's the people who are willing to "just get by" and who are content with their position that I'm talking about. You're not gonna make them any more successful by giving them handouts....they've already demonstrated that they don't want it or aren't responsible enough to have things given freely to them. It's just like humans feeding the bears....we teach them that there is an easier way to survive, if surviving is all that matters.

A patient in our OMFS clinic received a prescription for pain medicine after an extraction. Realizing he would have to pay for the Lortab (after his free extraction) he asked the resident "so....you wanna help me pay for this?" Without missing a beat, my co-resident said "I already do....every month when I pick up my check." I chuckled to myself down the hall. Social services get them through the day and they still want something for nothing.

fightingspirit said:
and you said:

"Let me clue you in to a little-known secret to most liberals....staying in school & getting a f'in job. Personal responsibility. What a novel idea."

here, you are contradicting the first portion of your argument. i am a darwin junkie and i concur with you regarding the "lot in life".

My point was that the liberal mindset tends to be "let's just give them stuff" even though they may not deserve it....and they often don't want it as demonstrated by how they abuse the system. And it never occurs to liberals to teach these people to go through the same steps as those who were independently successful. This is exactly where the take-from-the-rich-and-give-to-the-poor liberal phenomenon comes from.

This is only my opinion and observation.

toofache32 said:
After reading my own posts, I think I came across as an a$$hole. Even though this is true, I didn't mean to come across that way. I apologize if it seemed like a personal attack because it wasn't. I just get worked up easily over this because I work with people daily who abuse the system with a sly grin on their faces...knowing they can just work the system without giving back to it.

fightingspirit said:
you also said:

fightingspirit said:
I don't have a beef with paying taxes and supporting education. I support the idea of people becoming educated regardless of socio-economic status. The "problem people" I referred to at the beginning of this post aren't the college-educated types. I'm talking about the ones who don't want your help, they just want your free stuff. Why would they bother going to college when they can just live off government programs without the effort? What's the incentive to become educated when they've already grown up in that environment and realize they will still survive? It's the people who are willing to "just get by" and who are content with their position that I'm talking about. You're not gonna make them any more successful by giving them handouts....they've already demonstrated that they don't want it or aren't responsible enough to have things given freely to them. It's just like humans feeding the bears....we teach them that there is an easier way to survive, if surviving is all that matters.

A patient in our OMFS clinic received a prescription for pain medicine after an extraction. Realizing he would have to pay for the Lortab (after his free extraction) he asked the resident "so....you wanna help me pay for this?" Without missing a beat, my co-resident said "I already do....every month when I pick up my check." I chuckled to myself down the hall. Social services get them through the day and they still want something for nothing.

My point was that the liberal mindset tends to be "let's just give them stuff" even though they may not deserve it....and it never occurs to liberals to teach these people to go through the same steps as those who were independently successful. This is exactly where the take-from-the-rich-and-give-to-the-poor liberal phenomenon comes from.

This is only my opinion and observation.

now that's more like toofache...... :) ;) ...yes there are many who abuse the system

OMFSCardsFan said:
It'd be great if I did...I'd make a goddamn fortune. I find it interesting that you manage to turn every single post into an argument, yet you can't put together a single cohesive, intelligent statement once you've started it.

:sleep:

I went back and revised that post to take the mandatory cheap-shot at a fellow OMFS colleague.

fightingspirit said:

What the ****!? These dumb-bitch chatroom nannies decide to ban me from this site (again) for an unfriendly response to this "fightingspirit" douche-bag (again). You dumb-**** chatroom nannies need to get your fat-****, non-opposable digits out of your dirty asses and "moderate" this website. This guy's still on here talking ****, wasting space, and detracting from the conversation as much as he was before... and you're going to have MY IP address permanently banned for telling him his comments are waaaaay out of line!? What's your problem? I know my words were a bit harsh, but I did like I was supposed to and bleeped out the offensive characters. What's the point though; it doesn't even work to conform to your little censorship game. So to you chatroom nannies, I raise this salute: **** you ItsGavin, and **** you Aphistis, Aphid, Aphallic... or whatever the hell your name is, and **** all the rest of you "moderators," "webmasters," and "dungeon-masters" who don't know how to do your goddamn jobs. Next time you're going to do that, have the decency to send a PM, an email, or something explaining your reason and rationale. You leave me here trying over and over again, wondering why in the hell I can't log on anymore. Real ****ing smooth. :thumbdown:

I can't even bear to read this ****er's ****, it makes me sick.

Banned...again said:
What the ****!? These dumb-bitch chatroom nannies decide to ban me from this site (again) for an unfriendly response to this "fightingspirit" douche-bag (again). You dumb-**** chatroom nannies need to get your fat-****, non-opposable digits out of your dirty asses and "moderate" this website. This guy's still on here talking ****, wasting space, and detracting from the conversation as much as he was before... and you're going to have MY IP address permanently banned for telling him his comments are waaaaay out of line!? What's your problem? I know my words were a bit harsh, but I did like I was supposed to and bleeped out the offensive characters. What's the point though; it doesn't even work to conform to your little censorship game. So to you chatroom nannies, I raise this salute: **** you ItsGavin, and **** you Aphistis, Aphid, Aphallic... or whatever the hell your name is, and **** all the rest of you "moderators," "webmasters," and "dungeon-masters" who don't know how to do your goddamn jobs. Next time you're going to do that, have the decency to send a PM, an email, or something explaining your reason and rationale. You leave me here trying over and over again, wondering why in the hell I can't log on anymore. Real ****ing smooth. :thumbdown:

Calm down baby. You ain't in S'port yet. It's just a web site. For all you know this kid is 15 years old. TxOMS and I both have been banned from this site before you even knew what a class II was. Hell, I had the whole LSU IP address banned at one point. If you come into S'port already this fired up, you got no where to go but down. What you don't realize it that you still have three years before Tx and I let you sleep on a pillow in the call room.

Welcome to Thunderdome, bitch.

:laugh:
Banned...again said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

omfsres said:
Calm down baby. You ain't in S'port yet. It's just a web site. For all you know this kid is 15 years old. TxOMS and I both have been banned from this site before you even knew what a class II was. Hell, I had the whole LSU IP address banned at one point. If you come into S'port already this fired up, you got no where to go but down. What you don't realize it that you still have three years before Tx and I let you sleep on a pillow in the call room.

Welcome to Thunderdome, bitch.

Wow this thread is the first that has almost gotten completely out of hand. I'd just like to point out that it was a woman who brought us to this point of beligerent ranting and raving... :) Just kidding

Banned...again said:

Understated, yet persuasive.

esclavo said:
Wow this thread is the first that has almost gotten completely out of hand. I'd just like to point out that it was a woman who brought us to this point of beligerent ranting and raving... :) Just kidding

opps!!!! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.