Women to Interview: Pant suits or Skirt suits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr.Linus

I see people discussing the color of the suit and where to find the best fit/best value. My question is whether it is more appropriate to wear a skirt suit or pant suit?

Members don't see this ad.

Pants, pants, pants. More comfortable, and you don't have to worry if you aren't capable of sitting with your legs completely together for an entire day. ;)
Also far easier (for the same reason, no worry!) to get up from a sitting position and to sit from a standing position.
$0.02
Carbon

It really doesn't matter. Both are completely acceptable. But if you want to go for a more feminine look, a skirt's a winner. You can always find suits with long skirt's if you're concerned about the cold. Except your ankles will still be cold. :( :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i myself don't even wear a suit (i'm always the only one without one). its really not a big deal, just dress appropriately and conservatively and you'll be fine. your interviewer is not going to give you extra points for it.

I am a male, so what do I know? All that I can say is that I just read several interview books (mostly business, but some medical school interview books), and I have read in separate books to go with the skirt if you are a female. One of the books even ventured as far as to say "Absolutely no pant suits for females."
I hope this helps, but again I found mostly business interview books. Good luck on your interview!!:clap:

directly from the mouth of a 3rd year on the admissions committee at geffen @ ucla: interviewers don't talk about whether the applicant wore a pants suit or a skirt suit. the interviewer will, however, comment if the skirt is too short!

from my experience, wear whatever you're comfortable with. i wore a skirt suit for my first few interviews, then switched to pants. i was accepted to a school where i wore the skirt and one where i wore the pants. the first time i wore the pants, though, i got a big run in my pantyhose. i was surely glad i had worn pants!

this is ridiculous.
OF COURSE IT IS FINE TO WEAR PANTS TO AN INTERVIEW!
i will be wearing pants to all of mine.
maybe in the south it is less acceptable (?i have no idea as i'm not from there), but it is fine everywhere else.
there was only one girl in a skirt suit at the only interview i went to. wear whatever you feel the most comfortable in! i think i look plenty feminine in my pants suit :)

Thanks folks for your responses. I will go with pant suit I think because of the probable run in my pantyhose! And also, because of the cold.

Just thought I'd mention that I have not seen a single girl that was wearing a skirt suit (out of about 10) nor did I wear a skirt suit to any of my NC interviews...

Of course it's fine to where pants suits in the South, though I would go for something that looks feminine. Personally, I'm planning on wearing a skirt that shows off a little skin.... (Just kidding, y'all) Wear what you'll be most comfortable. To tell the honest truth, I lean towards a skirt because I tend to sit with better posture when I'm wearing a skirt. Must be because I've got to be more careful how I sit:)

I have interviewed a large number of people at all levels. Both pants and skirt are acceptable. However, I can assure you that if you are interviewing with males, they prefer a skirt. You see, men are little different from cave men and they were obviously motivated by a certain female form. That is why we have gentlemen's clubs and other amusements so that the brain center that is involved can be triggered. Though you want to present yourself as intelligent and desire to be appreciated for your brain and academic talents, your physical appearence is appealing and can earn points from a subconscious level. Thus a man wants a woman to look like a woman. If she is in a well fitting skirt suit, he appreciates this on a level that he can not vocalize and may not even be aware of. If the suit is too tight or you are showing to much leg, then this gives a message that you might be loose and you lose the effect you might be trying to create. If you present yourself as sloppy either in dress or body language this is also transmitted to the brain as a negative. If you are fat that is a definite turn off and considered repulsive. So loose weight for your health and to advance your professional career. This applies to both women and men. Always were black or dark blue, dark blue preferrably. Always hold yourself upright. You are not there to feel comfortable. Always have something in your hands such as a note book. Do not bring a drink or food! Sit up right and never lose eye contact. You achieve this by looking at the bridge of the nose. If someone says something off color, he/she may be testing you. Act demure and never respond. Simply cast your eyes down and observe what a nice day it is. If you really want the position, investigate the persons that will interview you and make notes on their personal lives and accomplishments. Then insert this into the conversation in a very quite manner, nothing obvious.

Remember, most men are sexual animals unless they are not interested in wormen. As such, you can have them eating out of your hand with some very innocent behavior. They will still think of you in a professional manner.

I bet the person who posted this SIX YEARS AGO will be very grateful.

I think we've all reached a consensus on this thread.
Formal wear on girls is WAY Hot!

I have interviewed a large number of people at all levels. Both pants and skirt are acceptable. However, I can assure you that if you are interviewing with males, they prefer a skirt. You see, men are little different from cave men and they were obviously motivated by a certain female form. That is why we have gentlemen's clubs and other amusements so that the brain center that is involved can be triggered. Though you want to present yourself as intelligent and desire to be appreciated for your brain and academic talents, your physical appearence is appealing and can earn points from a subconscious level. Thus a man wants a woman to look like a woman. If she is in a well fitting skirt suit, he appreciates this on a level that he can not vocalize and may not even be aware of. If the suit is too tight or you are showing to much leg, then this gives a message that you might be loose and you lose the effect you might be trying to create. If you present yourself as sloppy either in dress or body language this is also transmitted to the brain as a negative. If you are fat that is a definite turn off and considered repulsive. So loose weight for your health and to advance your professional career. This applies to both women and men. Always were black or dark blue, dark blue preferrably. Always hold yourself upright. You are not there to feel comfortable. Always have something in your hands such as a note book. Do not bring a drink or food! Sit up right and never lose eye contact. You achieve this by looking at the bridge of the nose. If someone says something off color, he/she may be testing you. Act demure and never respond. Simply cast your eyes down and observe what a nice day it is. If you really want the position, investigate the persons that will interview you and make notes on their personal lives and accomplishments. Then insert this into the conversation in a very quite manner, nothing obvious.

Remember, most men are sexual animals unless they are not interested in wormen. As such, you can have them eating out of your hand with some very innocent behavior. They will still think of you in a professional manner.

:eek:
There are just too many thing that are ridiculous/laughable/disturbing in your post to address them all. Dude, you seriously have to get past the dark ages. Just one question- have you ever been or are you currently in litigation proceedings for sexual harassment? If not, its only a matter of time man.:thumbdown:

I didn't realize this was still such an issue until Hillary Clinton begin her bid for the Whitehouse, then the ridiculous debate steeped in sexist rhetoric reared its ugly head. :rolleyes:
Sure, some may prefer a woman in pantsuits, but you must ask yourself whether that is the type of environment &/or for which you wish to work- you may be subjecting yourself to the likes of David (previous poster), which will cause a whole slew of other problems in your life than just unemployment.:scared:

I personally enjoy and often wear both, but prefer pants on practicality & comfort. Previously, I had never given it much thought, but perhaps out of spite & rebellion to the people with obvious issues regarding women in pants- my poor skirts may have to be retired for awhile. What a ridiculous debate in this modern age!:(:mad:

haha F*CK THAT! I am wearing skirt suits to all my interviews! I dont even own pantsuits but have 3-4 awesome skirt suits available to me.