Women who started med school after 26 -- tell me your experience!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Love this thread--you are all boss ladies!

I'm in my mid 20s and single. Working as a RN 3 days/week and taking pre-reqs at a local college the other 4 days/week. It's been a grind, but I'm really glad I'm doing this finally. I should be ready to apply for the 2019-2020 cycle, assuming my first MCAT score is adequate. I would like to have a family, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. I'm glad to hear that women on here have been able to balance both.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Women in medicine is a tricky subject. This post will prolly get flagged as hate speech but let’s roll with it.

If you don’t want kids, I think that it is entirely possible to find someone understanding of the demands medicine places on you. No problem. Gonna be harder to find someone that understanding, but there are guys out there who will.

If you want kids, medicine becomes very tricky. The best case scienerio is that you are out practicing as a PC doc at age 29. While the 80 hour workweeks subside, Docs are still pulling in 40-50 hours/week full time. How many kids do you want? If the answer is three, well, that’s 9 months each and studies have shown that babies do best breastfeeding for 18 months. When are you sopposed to have time to do that? What is the point of having a child if you can’t raise it?

Personally, having female family members in medicine, they express their regret for going to medical school, and wish they would have done the PA/NP route because it’s shorter. After age 35, the risk of pregnancy complications goes up, and females are pretty much done after age 40.

Now, I think that the saving grace in the conversation is if grandparents are a part of the equation. Children need a father and a mother figure present in the first 6 years of life when the subconscious is developing.

lol.

Y'all I started at 30, had a baby 3rd year, breast fed exclusively for the first year (because pumping is a THING yo) still breastfeeding @15months because she likes it and so do I, matched into my top choice residency, very happy about all my decisions.

There are women with kids and women who are pregnant in all levels of training.. OF COURSE its hard but like, WORKING IS HARD. Not just working in medicine!! 40-80hour weeks are not exclusive to medicine.

P.S It turns out my husband is a functional human being who figured out how to heat up breast milk and help keep the child alive and cared for! It's almost as if he too had contributed to the process of pro-creation and also cares for our child.

Reactions: 31 users
Yes, you will get some jerks giving you grief for starting school "late", and no, it won't matter because it's just bullies yapping. Yes, I did avoid some more competitive residencies that I was interested in due to my age, and no, I don't feel regret or that I settled for something inferior. Yes, you'll fear that residency programs will feel you're too old for them, and no, you're not. Plus, due to your maturity, you'l know to avoid ranking those malignant programs because at this point in your life, you know who you are and what you need from life.

Your post was so inspirational, thank you! Can you please share which med schools were more receptive to older, non-traditional applicants? I'm in my mid-thirties and will be applying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten my CNA license and worked as a CNA for a while. You could go more advanced, but that does take some time. Or I would have gone further with my EMT studies to become an EMT-Intermediate or Advanced. It's much easier to find jobs that way.

Volunteering in a hospital is not going to get you the creds you need. It's not a bad thing to do, just don't put all your volunteering eggs in that basket. You don't really get a lot of good experience volunteering in a hospital anyway. If you go the CNA/EMT route, you won't need a lot of clinical volunteering so you can focus your volunteer time on something you're passionate about that is in service to those in need. I would suggest AmeriCorps, but you need to take all the prereqs so AmeriCorps would be difficult to do for you at this time.

You might want to start a separate thread in the Non-Trads forum so you can get further input. Or maybe you found your way in to the FB page and you're getting great advice from there.

Thanks so much for your input and the tips! I really love hearing different people's perspectives about all of this. I am pretty set on becoming an MD, and am willing to sacrifice the time. I think my main concern is feeling like an "imposter," which I have now heard from several others that they share this same feeling! It is good to know I am not alone in that. :) I am hoping to volunteer at a hospital to gain experience in the hospital atmosphere and (hopefully) shadow a few different doctors to gain some insight on that career. Thanks again!!

I liked hospital volunteering to soak up the atmosphere, watch the system work, and consider whether I could feel comfortable there. I also really got a lot out of shadowing. There are so many ways to practice medicine, and I feel I learned a lot about what suited and what didn't through watching other docs do it their own way. I had a lot of the same anxiety! And a lot of people telling me I was crazy. But in the end, after tons of exposure and research (and even some personality testing) I reflected, and prayed, and decided I really should go for it. Once you're quite sure, people turn their own reactions around pretty quickly! But I still didn't tell anyone but immediate family until I was in (too much to explain too soon!). I'd seek out as much experience and exposure as you can get, and keep testing it, that's what I did!

Thanks so much for your input! This is so helpful and inspiring to me. I, too, am really looking forward to hospital volunteering to gain some insight on the atmosphere, etc. I hope to shadow a few different doctors, too. It is comforting knowing I am not the only one with anxiety about these things. I think you have the right idea of only telling immediate family until you were in and am planning to do the same. I will have to move (and quit my current career, of course) for a post-bacc program, but will still probably keep even that pretty quiet. I really appreciate you responding! Thanks again!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
My pleasure! People are so different, but for me, I have a healthy dose of fear of failure, and I didn’t want to add others’ anxiety and doubt to my own until I knew it had a good chance of panning out! I only told people I thought would be fair and balanced (well, and my parents, who thought I should do law ). I didn’t learn a ton, medically, volunteering, but I learned a lot about the softer skills and culture. I think I even learned more from shadowing, so I’d do as much of that as you can! Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you have any more specific questions!

Thanks so much for your input! This is so helpful and inspiring to me. I, too, am really looking forward to hospital volunteering to gain some insight on the atmosphere, etc. I hope to shadow a few different doctors, too. It is comforting knowing I am not the only one with anxiety about these things. I think you have the right idea of only telling immediate family until you were in and am planning to do the same. I will have to move (and quit my current career, of course) for a post-bacc program, but will still probably keep even that pretty quiet. I really appreciate you responding! Thanks again!!!!

I started med school at 29, so did my mother. The key Ann Landers advice that worked for me is you are going to continue to age regardless of what you do. You can be 35 and a practicing physician or 35 doing something else - which is more appealing to you?

Reactions: 11 users
I’ll add that I did restrict my applications to both med school and residency based on my unwillingness to move locations for family reasons (spouse, house, kids, dog, extended family) with no regrets. My local state MD school was plenty welcoming and my residency thrilled to have me, and life is good.

Reactions: 8 users
I’ll add that I did restrict my applications to both med school and residency based on my unwillingness to move locations for family reasons (spouse, house, kids, dog, extended family) with no regrets. My local state MD school was plenty welcoming and my residency thrilled to have me, and life is good.

I wish I had gone this route. Instead, I got into way more schools than I thought I would, and now I’m backing away from going to my (unranked) local school. Fail...

It’s it’s a US MD school in a place where you have family support and social connections? Go to there. Be their top student and write your ticket. This isn’t woman-over-26 specific advice even, but might be more relevant if you have or want to have children.

Yes, and yes. But it’s a small school that doesn’t have home programs in several of the areas I’m considering, so I’m concerned about positioning myself for the match. Don’t want to do the easy thing now just to shut myself in the foot down the road.

Also, I do have children, and my oldest is in 4th grade - if we’re going to have to move for residency, it might be easier for him to do it now instead of as he goes into high school.

I didn’t read every single post (just saw this thread on a quick study break and it was too much to catch up at once).... just wanted to say I’m a first year female DO student. I started at 31, and am currently 32. I came in engaged and am getting married in 2 months. We would like to have a child or two, but I have PCOS so it’s going to take money, interventions, and deliberate effort to conceive. Presently not doing that, but also not practicing any prevention. My hope would be to have a baby during 4th year, but due to the issues I mentioned it would be hard to aim for such a narrow window. (Plus who knows about $$$ then. My fiancé will be done with his allied health program by then so that’s something.) As far as my class, I am friendly with all ages but found that the people in my closest friend group are naturally other females in late twenties-early thirties range.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, and yes. But it’s a small school that doesn’t have home programs in several of the areas I’m considering, so I’m concerned about positioning myself for the match. Don’t want to do the easy thing now just to shut myself in the foot down the road.

Also, I do have children, and my oldest is in 4th grade - if we’re going to have to move for residency, it might be easier for him to do it now instead of as he goes into high school.
Obv you know yourself and your situation best. Having an active on call extended family support network was really key for us (3 kids who were 3-7 when I started) logistically and emotionally. So don’t undervalue it if you have it where you are!

Members don't see this ad :)
Obv you know yourself and your situation best. Having an active on call extended family support network was really key for us (3 kids who were 3-7 when I started) logistically and emotionally. So don’t undervalue it if you have it where you are!

I’m thinking that will be super important. My husband doesn’t fully grasp how little I will be available (especially after having been a full-time mom for the past year). We don’t have family where we live (a lot of friends, but it’s not really the same) - for that reason, I’m still considering the school near where our extended family lives, even though I didn’t like the school itself that much.

I think my main concern is feeling like an "imposter," which I have now heard from several others that they share this same feeling! It is good to know I am not alone in that. :)
I really struggled with imposter syndrome for a long time. In fact, I really let it get into my head and affect my first interview at my top choice school, and as a result it didn’t go so well. Know that many people feel like this, and it’s just anxiety talking.

Your post was so inspirational, thank you! Can you please share which med schools were more receptive to older, non-traditional applicants? I'm in my mid-thirties and will be applying next year.

DO schools were the most receptive. I applied to both MD and DO, and felt way more "at home" with DO schools. I was accepted to every DO school I applied to (old and new ones), and I felt they were not only ambivalent about my age, but saw it as an asset, not a liability. I'm sure there are plenty of allopathic schools that love them some fine-aged wine too, but not the ones to which I applied (which was a mix of top of the line and "what school is that?! :joyful:").

Drop me a line if you're ever in need of inspiration, I'm happy to encourage ladies of all ages to get out there and just do it!

I think my main concern is feeling like an "imposter," which I have now heard from several others that they share this same feeling! It is good to know I am not alone in that. :)

You're definitely not alone! I'm terrified everyday someone will come up to me and expose me for the fake that I am. But I remind myself that we're not faking it- we didn't "luck" into being med students, we most certainly are not imposters, and we truly worked hard to EARN our spot in the medical class. Own your intelligence, your perseverance, and your moxie! No one gives anyone a shot to be a doctor just for the hell of it, it's because it's deserved. :thumbup:

Reactions: 5 users
You're definitely not alone! I'm terrified everyday someone will come up to me and expose me for the fake that I am. But I remind myself that we're not faking it- we didn't "luck" into being med students, we most certainly are not imposters, and we truly worked hard to EARN our spot in the medical class. Own your intelligence, your perseverance, and your moxie! No one gives anyone a shot to be a doctor just for the hell of it, it's because it's deserved. :thumbup:
You are SO right! I keep reminding myself that just because I did not decide to go this route at 18 when deciding on college, or even younger, doesn't mean I'd be any less of a doctor than anyone who did choose this path from the beginning of their college years. Thank you for the advice and support!

Happily stumbling across this thread as I am 29, married, and will be matriculating in 2020 (if all goes well). I left a lucrative job (think Wall Street) to follow what I know will make me happier in the long term. Look forward to keeping up with everyone on the facebook group!

I sometime struggle with the "rewind the clock" syndrome but I have to be honest with myself and acknowledge that I am not the same student/person I was 10 years ago. 18yo me was too eager to jump into corporate world and would not have made a good student. Some days I feel "behind" career-wise but I am thoroughly the rigors of the sciences. I trust that I will do my best and my career will be just fine in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm so happy I found this thread! I haven't read all the posts yet (I'm halfway through though haha), but it is very empowering to read everybody's story.
I'm not a medical student yet, actually it feels like I'm still so far from reaching my goals. But I need to trust the journey and know that I will get there eventually, if I work hard enough.
I'm 31, married and mother to 3 young kids. I'm currently in nursing school. I know, I know... I think I was hoping the nursing role would complete me, and even though I'm "only" in nursing school right now, I can already tell it won't. I'm still going to finish school and plan on working as a nurse while getting ready for med school. But I just can't ever stop thinking about becoming a physician.
Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and hope I can be a part of this awesome community that has formed here!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
This is so inspiring! Im so glad I stumbled upon this. People ask me all the time why I stopped teaching and why continue to apply to med school or pursue that route. I have a new answer for them (age will come why not pursue my passion while at the age) . I'm 26 now with 2 step children and have been married for 2 years now. I think it's nothing like having support rather you are single or in a relationship.

I'll be 29 when I start this fall. My hubby wants kids in the next couple of years but that's not happening. I'm totally fine with it. I think this is my only slight concern (having that conversation, that is).

I'll be 29 when I start this fall. My hubby wants kids in the next couple of years but that's not happening. I'm totally fine with it. I think this is my only slight concern (having that conversation, that is).
I started at 30 - a long time ago, only 20% of my class was female. I was married, had a baby middle of third year, took a semester off and finished late. Was able to match early, had baby #2 in second year of residency. You can have a baby in medical school if that's what you want, it was fun. Its hard but pregnancy/childbirth/newborn pretty much comprises your OB and Peds rotation. I am in Family Medicine, never felt like a more competitive residency was for me anyways.

35 this year, current MS2, woman... just as a reminder :)

I worried about this initially as well... however I have met some of the most amazing people in my class... there are several women nearly a decade younger than me who are like sisters: I’ve cried with them, hug them nearly every day I see them, share triumphs and fears with them... there’s men who are incredibly supportive and help me study and learn material, as well as support through friendship and comradery. The bond I have with some of my classmates (nearly all of them that decade-ish younger) is deep, and I believe it will last beyond medical school.

The very valuable lesson I had (in my experience) to learn was that age was a restriction I placed on myself. No one else among my peers cares. We’re all there to learn medicine, we’re all going through the same difficulty, and we all want to be there for each other.

Also, if you live off campus... studying at school tends to foster those friendships. That was a huge turning point in my social life at school and helped me form some great friendships.

Your age will likely only create a problem for you if you let it. Med school has brought me some of the nearest and dearest friends I think I will ever have.

I'm much older, 30 when I started, had kids in school and residency. It was weird at first but I became friendly with students right out of college and with some attendings and residents who were younger than me. Some of my younger med school friends are starting to retire early but I am still working, women tend to have longer careers. My best friends in life now were in med school with me, first ones to call with bad news, diagnosis details, thinking about changing jobs. One advantage when you start practice is being older as well, sits better with patients. My younger childs godfather was our chief resident, also a nontraditional student who dyed his grey hairs. Once he started his first job he washed out the dye and was a silver fox.

That is a tough decision... How significant is the prestige difference? What are your thoughts on your future specialty? And how do you feel about having biological children?
-------------------------------------------------------

Added after reading the numerous posts that I skipped --

As these strong, motivated and intelligent ladies have already said: You can make it work if you really want to, especially if you're not stuck in the mindset that being a good parent means the woman stays home and nurses for 18 months. (Yuck!) Or that having biological children is God's true plan for your life and that you need to be under 30 (or even 40) to do that...

I did a little basic math with your $128 a day, and Woah! That's a BIG difference! Proximity and companionship can be wonderful, but there are also merits to studying alone and planning special weekends together. Since you mentioned academic medicine, the prestige factor and reduced cost are also more important than in most other environments...

You can breast feed in medical school if that is what you want! Every hospital in the US has commercial milking machines in the OB department. Talk to the nurses and get a time to pump, never had a problem with it. Sterile plastic urine cups are ideal, you throw them into the freezer and grab it before you leave, always had a little cooler lunch box. You can make it work, its not even hard. When I was doing surgery the guys were fascinated by how the urine cups would pile up in the freezer.
I know there is a lot of angst when you are older in medicine about having a baby. My answer to my students is always that the best time to have a baby in medicine is 9 months after you get pregnant. You got there by being smart and motivated, you can make it work. Preclinical years, clinical years are both fine and more flexible than you might think. Residency is harder but doable, internship year would be rough but I have friends who did it, hired nannies.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone!! I am so glad a thread like this has been started because it is a very important topic and I do not feel it has been discussed enough. I have not applied to Medical school yet but plan to apply soon. I am starting to feel worried about juggling family life/responsibilities and Medical school (If I get accepted).. I am married but no children yet but we were thinking about starting soon. Do you guys think it would be easier to start having children before starting medical school? I see so many posts here about medical students being able to juggle family life with having young children and going to school? How do you guys juggle family life if your married with having children and medical school? Any tips you can offer a medical school hopeful??

Hey everyone!! I am so glad a thread like this has been started because it is a very important topic and I do not feel it has been discussed enough. I have not applied to Medical school yet but plan to apply soon. I am starting to feel worried about juggling family life/responsibilities and Medical school (If I get accepted).. I am married but no children yet but we were thinking about starting soon. Do you guys think it would be easier to start having children before starting medical school? I see so many posts here about medical students being able to juggle family life with having young children and going to school? How do you guys juggle family life if your married with having children and medical school? Any tips you can offer a medical school hopeful??

I'm in the same boat so I'd love to hear the answers too.

I haven’t started medical school yet, but my guess is that it’s easier to come into school with kids rather than having them during school. The hormones, time off after, possibly needing time off during pregnancy if complications arise, then the adjustment to having a newborn seem super daunting to me. Plenty of people do it, but I can only imagine that it’s easier to fit school into an existing family situation than vice versa.

I started medical schoo when I was a few months shy of my 26th birthday. Honestly I struggled with the idea of being “late” with life, especially when most of my friends from college are already in stable relationships or getting engaged/married. But, the thing is that no one can predict the future, so not going to medical school does not necessarily mean you will end up meeting someone, get married, and have an amazing life. On the flip slide, going to medical school does not prevent you from having all those things. In fact, the most statistically likely scenario for female medical students is that they end up marrying doctors, which it’s not very shabby at all.

Beyond happy I found this. Can I be added to the FB group? I’m also a nontrad, 28 yo (soon-to-be 29)woman starting prerequisites in two weeks. I’m in desperate need of a community as I journey on a new, long-desired career in medicine. Taught high school for 6 years, recently resigned. My blood pressure went down in a matter of days and I finally feel free from the bureaucratic BS! I’m taking 1 year to complete coursework before applying.

Reactions: 3 users
26 beginning a linkage grad program/med school this yr. I will likely begin med school at 27, married, 2 step children. I would like to be added to the facebook group as well...

Anyone who wants to be added to the FB group just shoot me a PM! I'll send you the link.

Married 27 year old starting as an MS1 in August!

Anyone who wants to be added to the FB group just shoot me a PM! I'll send you the link.
How do I PM? Would love to join the group. 27 and married and starting Med School in August!

LOVE this thread! I'm married, 26, have a 4 month old baby. The baby will be 7 months old when I matriculate, and I interviewed while I was pregnant (hid it pretty successfully, too). I'm thankful for the time I've gotten with him during these months. I applied two application cycles in a row, and finally got in this year to my top choice!

I was pretty balsy last application cycle, because after I didn't get in anywhere, I decided to have a baby. My husband and I know we want a few kids, and I decided that it was a good a time as ever. I haven't started med school yet, but my husband is very helpful and supportive, and has a more flexible schedule. We're near family and plan to utilize daycare part time. It will be hard and full of mom-guilt, I'm sure, but I'm so so so excited to finally start after lots of hurdles and roadblocks. Can't wait to join the fb group too!

Last edited:
I'm 30, ESL, have a 6 year old, getting divorced. IMO this is the best time for me to start medschool. I've had it all, experienced it all, and can give my full attention to my career. Not planning to have any more kids. Im so excited for this new amazing journey. So happy to see like minded people here. You go girls!!!

I'm 38, married, with 5 kids (2 in college, 3 still at home, ages 20-11). This is the way I look at "starting late": I was blessed that I got to be a stay-at-home mom for so many years with my kids, I didn't go back to college until my youngest was in 2nd grade. I got to do the baseball/soccer/football team mom thing, the PTO mom thing, the Room Mom thing, and the Field Trip mom thing. But, being a wife and mom isn't all of who I am, so I'm going back to finish what I started, and show my kids (especially my 2 daughters) that if you want it badly enough, you can/should go out and get it, whatever it may be, and the fact that my youngest is going to middle school next year, means they need me less, and I can focus on med school more than I could have if I had tried this when they were little and I was younger. They are tremendously supportive (so is the hubs!) kids, and I'm extraordinarily blessed to be their Mom.

Reactions: 12 users
I started medical school at 28. Had my first baby in the summer between years 1 and 2. I'm expecting baby #2 now. I will be doing an extra year which will give me a good few months when the baby is born. It is doable and there are quite a bit of people in my age range in my class. However, I do feel that being a parent affects my ability to excel as a medical student - I cannot spend every last minute studying. But it will make me a better doctor in the long run. Starting med school at 26 is hardly behind. The average age of matriculation into US med schools is somewhere near 25.

Reactions: 3 users
Just jumping on this thread a little late but it's inspiring to see all you ladies pursuing your passion into med school. I'm not in med school but I'm 51 and in my final year of an acute NP program. I'll be 52 by the time I'm a critical care nurse practitioner. I have moments of self doubt and dread and wake up at night worrying if I've done the right thing, but as someone so succinctly put it earlier...I'd rather be 51 and in school than plain old 51. I don't have kids...I never wanted any, but instead I traveled the world and emigrated from the UK to the USA when I was 35. I'm also a lesbian so children are not something that would have occurred without serious forethought and planning anyway. My wife is a retired social worker and has been so incredibly supportive. I couldn't have done this without her. While I rush around working and attending classes and clincials, she takes care of absolutely everything at home. I'm very lucky.

It's very odd to be in a class with a bunch of 20-somethings, although I must admit I don't look 51. It's quite a strange feeling being the odd one out, but at the same time, when a question is asked in class I can answer it before anyone else because I've had a 30 year nursing career. I did want to go to med school years ago but I couldn't afford it, and life just didn't go that way. However, my passion is critical care and emergency medicine and I know I cannot be fulfilled unless that's what I'm doing. I'm maintaining a 3.9 GPA so I must be doing something right. The only issue that has been a challenge is menopause. It's an absolute beast. It's really taken a dent in me and I must pass onto you some words of wisdom...when it comes around...be prepared. Good luck all!

Can someone send me a link to the group please? I'm a baby (early 20s) but starting med school in the fall with an elementary schooler and could definitely use a supportive community.

Can someone send me a link to the group please? I'm a baby (early 20s) but starting med school in the fall with an elementary schooler and could definitely use a supportive community.

Sure thing, sent via PM

This is such a wonderful thread and I needed this in my life. I recently turned 26 and will be graduating in December with my Masters in Biomolecular Science. I am studying for the MCAT and shooting to take it in September although it might be pushed out to January due to needing to allocate time towards research for my degree.

It is so easy to get down on yourself when you feel like you are constantly on a timeline you're not meeting. All of my friends from undergrad have recently graduated from medical school this month; however, I just try to tell myself that my 4 year gap has just seasoned me and helped me mature. I also have a decent job that I do somewhat enjoy, but I know its not what I am called to do. I have spent close to four years working in phase one drug development for clinical trials on solid tumor cancers. I always find myself wanting to spend my days in the clinic with the patients and alongside the physicians as opposed to working with the drug sponsors, but I just use this as my motivation to keep moving forward.

Best of luck to all of you! I cannot wait to hear of all of you gaining acceptances to the programs you apply to!

I am extremely curious to hear from those who have taken a similar path, especially women who have started med school in their late 20s. Some of my questions are -- Did you feel like you had to give up on a more time-consuming specialty due to starting later? How much did starting later affect your personal life -- did you have to put other priorities (settling down, kids, etc.) on hold much longer than you would have liked? Do you have any regrets about your decision?
Curious to hear any and all input!

I started med school at 27 and just graduated last week at 31. I entered as a single mother of a then 7-year-old, so starting really didn't have a drastic effect on my personal life plans. I have absolutely no regrets about my decision, and I am fully pursuing surgery despite the fact that I'll be close to 40 when I'm finally an attending. Medical school and the entire process of becoming a physician has been a major highlight of my life, and I couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

Reactions: 11 users
Wow I just came across this thread and everybody is so amazing! I just turned 21, and currently in school for my masters in biomedical science. I anticipate after I finish which will be May 2019, that I’ll be in med school next Fall! I’m getting married next June (yes I’ll be 22... yes I know i’m Young and my whole life is ahead of me) and my fiancé and I are planning to try to get pregnant next year so I would give birth between MS1 and MS2 (yes I know I have time... yes I know I shouldn’t rush it) I’m not sure if that’ll happen, but it’s fun to plan anyway. I’ve always been an old soul and more mature than most people in my age group, so my family and my fiance’s Are extremely supportive no matter what. My fiance has a very stable job, mostly working from home and extremely flexible (jealous), and both of our parents are itching for grandkids so support and assistance will be of no concern. So we shall see what the next few years holds for us!

I’ve been working as a nanny for 6 years and I know that I have ALWAYS wanted to be a mom, ever since I was little, but sometimes it feels conflicting with wanting to be a physician. Although, I am not looking to do anything competitive, most likely pediatrics like my dad.

Anyway, apologies for rambling, it’s just really inspiring to see so many women from so many paths of life doing medical school! Sometimes it almost seems impossible when I think about it but then I read amazing stories like these and I realize that although it will be absolutely insane and difficult it can be done!

Best of luck to all of you amazing women and thank you for sharing your stories!

Started at 36 and I'm now in 3rd year, will graduate when I'm 40. Left a well-paying job to do this, and have zero regrets. But I'm also not a kid person and have no desire at all for them. I've found that's the sticking point that kills relationships far moreso than the medical school thing, but it's not going to change so it is what it is. I'd rather be alone than stuck in a situation I'm unhappy with.

The specialty I'm considering is one of the more physically intense ones out there, and frankly I'm fine with that. I didn't come all this way and go this far into debt to not pursue what I love.

You're going to find yourself in your late 30's (should you be so fortunate) sooner than you think, whether or not you go to med school. Do you want to find yourself without a MD, maybe wishing you did, or would you want to find yourself with medical school and residency already behind you?

This literally just gave me life. Thank you for saying this!!! That helps more than you know.

P.S It turns out my husband is a functional human being who figured out how to heat up breast milk and help keep the child alive and cared for! It's almost as if he too had contributed to the process of pro-creation and also cares for our child.

I laughed way too hard at this. Thank you so much.

The fact that people don't understand that women can have supportive partners who help raise children is mind-boggling to me. My partner works in the tech field and plans to work from home so he can parent our little one when I need to be at school. He WANTS me to apply to medical school because he knows I will be happier in the career that I have always dreamed of, AND he know that my happiness and fulfilment will ultimately make me a better partner and mother.

lol.

Y'all I started at 30, had a baby 3rd year, breast fed exclusively for the first year (because pumping is a THING yo) still breastfeeding @15months because she likes it and so do I, matched into my top choice residency, very happy about all my decisions.

There are women with kids and women who are pregnant in all levels of training.. OF COURSE its hard but like, WORKING IS HARD. Not just working in medicine!! 40-80hour weeks are not exclusive to medicine.

I laughed way too hard at this. Thank you so much.

The fact that people don't understand that women can have supportive partners who help raise children is mind-boggling to me. My partner works in the tech field and plans to work from home so he can parent our little one when I need to be at school. He WANTS me to apply to medical school because he knows I will be happier in the career that I have always dreamed of, AND he know that my happiness and fulfilment will ultimately make me a better partner and mother.

This is SO true! My husband was such a wonderful parent to our boys, especially when they were very little. (Still is - just unusually so when they were babies.) It's such a disservice to both men and women to relegate fathers to secondary (tertiary?) roles when children are little. His support during those early years allowed my career to flourish to where we can both now live the lives we want to live.