women's health and primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

saiyagirl

are there different (working-mother friendly) ways to go into women's health without becoming an ob/gyn (who have absolutely crazy hours and crazy residencies). any thoughts out there?

also, what other primary care doctors have decent hours? i think i want to be in primary care or womens health, but i'm also interested in relatively decent lifestyle as i am female and will probably have babies to look after some day.

just thinkin.

Members don't see this ad.

dermatologists generally work 9-5 and have fairly easy residencies. however, dermatology is also one of the most competitive areas to obtain a residency in.

I've heard of two that are family-friendly: dermatology and anesthesiology. I know a pediatric anesthesiologist who has 3 kids and works 3 days a week. She had 2 children during med school and just decided that she wanted more time with her children, so she partnered up with an anesthesiologist group and works when she wants. Sounds perfect, doesn't it?!

there was a conference on women's health at ucla & usc this weekend. one of the panels discussed female doctors with families. if there was one thing they conveyed to the audience, it was that you have to specialize in something you have passion for. otherwise, you'll just get burnt out. there was a variety of specializations represented in the panel, including a vascular surgeon who is moving on to be the chief of surgery at hopkins. your passion will provide you with the energy and motivation to continue working as a doctor while still managing time for a family.