Women's health fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpie1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what extra skills this fellowship offers in addition to what someone can get out of their IM residency? What kind of jobs do they then get hired for? Still IM?

Members don't see this ad.

Pure speculation, since you bumped this. I bet these are primarily for academic-types so residency programs can say 'look, we have a women's health fellowship trained attending, a geratrician, etc."

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you wanted to work in a women's health center, or do academics, it might be helpful. For example, some academic places have women's health centers where they do more osteoporosis prevention and management, in addition to well woman care. The thing about these type fellowships are they aren't really necessary for most jobs, you'll still be an internist and make the same money. So if you do it, mainly do it just out of interest and not because you think it will give you more earning power. I think some OB/gyn groups might possibly hire an IM doc w/extra training like this, but I've no personal knowledge about that.

does anyone know if it's possible to have a practice only for female patients? i know it's a long stretch, i am just trying to figure out what i want/can do!

Does anyone know what extra skills this fellowship offers in addition to what someone can get out of their IM residency? What kind of jobs do they then get hired for? Still IM?

does anyone know if it's possible to have a practice only for female patients? i know it's a long stretch, i am just trying to figure out what i want/can do!

Got no idea specifically outside of the preventive health stuff from Gyn - but I assume lots of pelvics/paps, STDs, oral/dermal contraceptives, you might even get trained in placing and moving IUDs, maybe management of polycystic ovarian stuff, screens of the female cancers: arranging for mammo's, etc. Might even be able to manage 1st trimester pregnancy stuff . . . all seems reasonable

And yes, you can have a female only practice. Why not?

I think you could set yourself up doing a female-only practice, particularly if you get with a group of OB/Gyns who wants to have an internist work with them. There are also women's health centers at some university med centers that have internists working there...my med school had this. In the private world, you can in theory set yourself up in most any niche that you can think of, as long as you don't stray too far from your training. There are fp and IM docs that set themselves up doing most all dermatology and cosmetic stuff...it's not illegal as long as they don't claim to be dermatologists.