Wondering about deferring acceptance for a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlsrn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering, how do school's look at it if you want to defer acceptance for a year, or a semester? Is it hard to do. My wife is pregnant, and a high risk pregnancy at that..been on bedrest the whole nice yards...I was accepted to med school for January's entering class, and thinking about deferring and starting in August. Is that possible? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Its possible, but the best answer would come from the medical school itself.

Originally posted by jlsrn:
• My wife is pregnant, and a high risk pregnancy at that..been on bedrest the whole nice yards...

i noticed your name is jenn and you mentioned your wife...are same sex marriages allowed in NY? just wondering....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi...
that is funny....my wife actually logged me on here at SDN...and for some reason I can't get her name off the bottom of the screen...it isn't a same sex marriage...and we have a 3 year old and one on the way....you gave me a good laugh though...can't believe you were the first to ask...thought someone would mention that a while ago. ;)

•Hi...
that is funny....my wife actually logged me on here at SDN...and for some reason I can't get her name off the bottom of the screen...it isn't a same sex marriage...and we have a 3 year old and one on the way....you gave me a good laugh though...can't believe you were the first to ask...thought someone would mention that a while ago. ;)

haha...oops! sorry bout that!

:) :)

here's hoping the baby is born with no complications for either your wife or the child.

most med schools have specific means to permit students to defer a year. Usually if it's any worthwhile scholastic or volunteer activitity they allow it. Something as serious as a wife's pregnancy seems like probable cause to take a semester off to me.

med_skool_fool...that's ok..it was kinda funny.

USeF the Bull...thanks :)

Possible? It's definitely posible. Depends on the school, but most are happy to defer admission for a year as long as there is a legitimate reason - and your reason sounds as legitimate as it gets! Once you get accepted just talk to your school and they will more than likely be happy to work with you.

•that is funny....my wife actually logged me on here at SDN...and for some reason I can't get her name off the bottom of the screen...•

I can help with this. Just click on the "My Profile" link above your message, it's the first one after the date posted information. Now click on "View/Update Profile" and change your signature say "Bob" or whatever you want it to say.

Ok, thanks....just seeing if this worked. ;)