1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Wondering about Ophthalmology

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jet li, Mar 1, 2000.

1. jet li

jet li Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello Friends,

I am a first year med student wondering about Ophthalmology. First of all, is it a well respected field among physicians? Also, how competitive is it to get a residency in the field? I was also wondering how it compares to other fields as far as compensation and future, especially with all the managed care stuff and turf wars with optometrists. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks a bunch!

Jet

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

4. jet li

jet li Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks a lot. That really helps. However, I am still curious about people's opinions on the field. Are a lot of your classmates eager to go into it? Do they think it's a boring specialty? Do they want to do it but don't have the grades? I would appreciate anyone's 2 cents worth.

5. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey jet li...by the way, loved your moves in Lethal Weapon 4!! [​IMG]

Have you ever shadowed an Opthamologist? Maybe that would be a better way to answer your question. Try shadowing physicians of different specialties if you can & it can help you decide what you really like. Opthalomolgy is a great & tough specialty to get into, but I am not too familiar with a lot of medical students who want to pursue that route. Then again, things can change significantly when you start rotations.

Are you currently a medical student? If not, don't sweat it too much & do more investigation. Give yourself time to tap more into your interests. You never know...dermatology, for example, might be your calling [​IMG]

Dermatology practice: "If it's wet, dry it!" "If it's dry, wet it!" Good luck!!!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 03-02-2000).]

6. jet li

jet li Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just realized that ophthalmology is an early match. I would appreciate some success stories of where people matched. Also, how many people from your school applied and how many matched, and to where? I have seen the stats at the sfmatch web site, but they were just cold numbers. I think it would be encouraging to hear real-life stories of the matching process. ENT and Neurosurg stories welcome too. Thanks.

7. Freedom buddies, I have recently had my x ray vision upgraded. Better buy some lead outfit ladies...

I think my ophthalmologist did his residency in Medical Health Science Center of Health and Medicine on the planet nebulon. Average USMLE - 260.

More good news from....
    Captain FREEDOM!!!