Fishier3000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi everyone,

I am a senior at a well-accredited university (I'm not sure if it helps, but it is an Ivy League school), and I would like to see what I should do for the next few months especially this month in order to improve my chances for medical school.

Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.69
MCAT: 36 (14/10/12)

Research:
1yr Evolutionary Genetics Research

Shadowing:
A few hours with a dermatopathologist

Volunteering:
60 hrs hospital volunteering
10hrs volunteering at cancer patients' homes

Hobbies:
Fishkeeping
Gardening

Thanks!

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Fishkeeping sounds interesting. Your volunteering, shadowing, and research are kind of on the light side (particularly the shadowing and volunteering). Try to do some shadowing over winter break. You should also try to find some non-clinical volunteering opportunities if possible (soup kitchen, homeless shelter, tutoring inner city kids, etc). What would your school list be?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Hi everyone,

I am a senior at a well-accredited university (I'm not sure if it helps, but it is an Ivy League school), and I would like to see what I should do for the next few months especially this month in order to improve my chances for medical school.

Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.69
MCAT: 36 (14/10/12)

Research:
1yr Evolutionary Genetics Research

Shadowing:
A few hours with a dermatopathologist

Volunteering:
60 hrs hospital volunteering
10hrs volunteering at cancer patients' homes

Hobbies:
Fishkeeping
Gardening

Thanks!
I'd look at your research as average among applicants. Your active and passive clinical experience are remarkably sparse. Try to shadow someone who is seeing patients, ideally in primary care. And get more experience interacting with sick people. Teaching and leadership, but most of all nonmedical community service would also make your application stronger.

That said, your numbers are terrific.

OP
Fishier3000

Fishier3000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Fishkeeping sounds interesting. Your volunteering, shadowing, and research are kind of on the light side (particularly the shadowing and volunteering). Try to do some shadowing over winter break. You should also try to find some non-clinical volunteering opportunities if possible (soup kitchen, homeless shelter, tutoring inner city kids, etc). What would your school list be?
I haven't completely decided on my school list, but I would like to stay close to family during medical school (My family lives around Philadelphia).
So, I was thinking Temple, Penn State, Jefferson, Drexel, Commonwealth, and Pittsburgh at least.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I haven't completely decided on my school list, but I would like to stay close to family during medical school (My family lives around Philadelphia).
So, I was thinking Temple, Penn State, Jefferson, Drexel, Commonwealth, and Pittsburgh at least.
Pitt would be a reach with your ECs, but it's worth a shot. The others look good. Just don't come off as too cookie cutter and don't make them think you're applying to them as safeties (Jefferson doesn't like that in particular).

OP
Fishier3000

Fishier3000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
I'd look at your research as average among applicants. Your active and passive clinical experience are remarkably sparse. Try to shadow someone who is seeing patients, ideally in primary care. And get more experience interacting with sick people. Teaching and leadership, but most of all nonmedical community service would also make your application stronger.

That said, your numbers are terrific.
I figured that my clinical experience is low compared to other potential applicants. I don't think I will be able to shadow someone during my break, but on winter term (my school is on a quarter system), I would be able to do so. Instead, I was thinking volunteering at a nursing home during the break.

To Catalystik and nemo, thanks for your help!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Think ahead to what you can stay involved with after the break, through the end of the school year. For volunteering, total number of hours is less important than longevity of the activity. Even if you can only give an hour of your time per week to helping others with nonmedical community service, DO IT.

What healthcare environments exist near your school? Look on the internet about volunteer opportunities now, as you may need an updated TB test, updated immunizations, or some titers. If none, is there some way you can help a physically challenged co-student at your school? Look into it now.

Shadowing is something that can be accomplished in large chunks of time, rather than as a weekly commitment. Ask your own physician, those of your parents, or physician parents of friends if you can spend some time observing them in the workplace. You should be able to get in an average amount, about 50 hours, in the next month.

OP
Fishier3000

Fishier3000

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Think ahead to what you can stay involved with after the break, through the end of the school year. For volunteering, total number of hours is less important than longevity of the activity. Even if you can only give an hour of your time per week to helping others with nonmedical community service, DO IT.

What healthcare environments exist near your school? Look on the internet about volunteer opportunities now, as you may need an updated TB test, updated immunizations, or some titers. If none, is there some way you can help a physically challenged co-student at your school? Look into it now.

Shadowing is something that can be accomplished in large chunks of time, rather than as a weekly commitment. Ask your own physician, those of your parents, or physician parents of friends if you can spend some time observing them in the workplace. You should be able to get in an average amount, about 50 hours, in the next month.
I was thinking of shadowing at my school because my school has a shadowing program that I can more easily sign up for. The physicians I do know in my area aren't exactly willing to let me shadow...

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
**If I am in the wrong thread I am terribly sorry, this is the closest thing I could find to what I am trying to ask!**

When I took a botany class my sophomore year, I identified and isolated 3 mRNA sequences from ragweed pollen (big project that a professor at my school has been doing for years) If my name and the sequence were both published in the GenBank, is that acceptable for me to put on my application and my CV if I only did that one portion, but did not go back to help the professor with the project after that?
Thanks for the advice!

Edit: this is the only research experience I have this far- but I do have good ECs otherwise, a lot of clinical time among other things. :)
This thread is not "close" to what you wish to ask. Your query would more appropriately be posted in the main PreMedAllo or PreMedOsteo forum (depending on your focus), so that it is more likely to be seen by those with the experience to answer it.