wondering if i should apply again (for fall 2008 entry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradocs we are

In love with you
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could have a look at my profile, and give me advice on whether or not to apply, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7783

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about where you went wrong. Is it your just your Canadian citizenship? Can you go to school in Canada? Applying late always hurts. Maybe it's a combination of applying late from Canada?

Your app seems pretty solid, so you really need to get some legit advice from real advisors on why it is you didn't get any love at all. There must have been something that was wrong, and until you can figure out exactly what that is, and fix it or compensate for it, you may have a tough time applying again.

Edit: relooking at your list, I saw a lot of canadian schools, so I'm just baffled.

If you could have a look at my profile, and give me advice on whether or not to apply, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7783

So I don't know much about the Canadian system, but I'd say the biggest problem with your app is the fact that you didn't have AMCAS verified until mid-November! That's way way too late. There were a few schools on my list that didn't work out as well because of my late app and I had everything complete in mid-October. I definitely think you should try again, but this time make sure you have AMCAS in in July which would allow you to complete your secondaries in August/early September. Also, stick to a 2 week schedule for all secondaries so that you're done with all of them as they come in instead of getting bogged down by the last couple you're waiting for. Also, doesn't the Canadian system have a 10 on each section MCAT requirement? That may have also impaired your ability at those schools if that's really true.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused about where you went wrong. Is it your just your Canadian citizenship? Can you go to school in Canada? Applying late always hurts. Maybe it's a combination of applying late from Canada?

Your app seems pretty solid, so you really need to get some legit advice from real advisors on why it is you didn't get any love at all. There must have been something that was wrong, and until you can figure out exactly what that is, and fix it or compensate for it, you may have a tough time applying again.

I am not sure who to ask! lol, that's partly why I am on here. I did ask a few medical students who are on admissions committees (in canada) but they thought my application was solid as well. I had so much hope :(. One thing they did suggest was making sure my reference letters are not screwing me over. Also, yes that one 9 in verbal is making it tough for me to get into Canadian schools, but I know it should not be giving me grief in American schools.

We don't have premedical advisors in Canada. However, I will try calling a couple of schools in Canada that are willing to offer me feedback. The rest of the schools pretty much told me in their rejection letters that due to the high volume of applications, no feedback can be given on individual applications! Boo!

What about personal statement? Although I write pretty decent...so maybe it was the content rather than the style. I wonder if there are any red flags. Maybe I should have someone look that over the next time I apply.

I am not sure who to ask! lol, that's partly why I am on here. I did ask a few medical students who are on admissions committees (in canada) but they thought my application was solid as well. I had so much hope :(. One thing they did suggest was making sure my reference letters are not screwing me over. Also, yes that one 9 in verbal is making it tough for me to get into Canadian schools, but I know it should not be giving me grief in American schools.

We don't have premedical advisors in Canada. However, I will try calling a couple of schools in Canada that are willing to offer me feedback. The rest of the schools pretty much told me in their rejection letters that due to the high volume of applications, no feedback can be given on individual applications! Boo!

What about personal statement? Although I write pretty decent...so maybe it was the content rather than the style. I wonder if there are any red flags. Maybe I should have someone look that over the next time I apply.

apply earlier!!!!!! and apply to a ton of schools. you will get in.

apply earlier!!!!!! and apply to a ton of schools. you will get in.

thanks! I just need to regain my self-confidence...Right now, I feel like jumping into some river...Niagara Falls will do...hehe

apply earlier... Wayne State loves Canadians, too, so add them to the list :thumbup:

apply earlier... Wayne State loves Canadians, too, so add them to the list :thumbup:

:) hey, i read your mdapplicants.com profile, and PAT ON THE BACK!!! I want to be in your position next year! *crossing fingers*

I didn't discover Wayne State until I drove to MSU last month and a friend there told me about it...it's already on my list ;). I would love to go to Michigan or New York for school actually, so maybe next year I will be lucky!

Applying early will definitely be a big help to your app, but also make sure you keep yourself busy and do or continue some interesting work and volunteering. If you apply again with a carbon-copy of the same application as this cycle, the benefits of an early filing may be outweighed by the fatigue of an Adcom that isn't interested in someone who hasn't grown or experienced anything new in an entire year.

it really seems like one thing you could have done to make your application stronger is apply earlier!
nov 18th is way too late to get your amcas verified. You may have gotten more interviews with just an earlier application and not having to change anything about your file.

my suggestion is to get ur amcas verified in july, finish secondaries by august-sept.

you can do it!

hey, your stats are amazing. suprised you didnt get more interviews.

If you apply again do this:

1. Apply EARLY. We talking in the "J" months.

2. Apply BROADLY. Schools that historically take lots of Canadians were not added to the list. for example SLU, Wayne, RFU, Upstate

Those two were your biggest mistake.

PS: I am a fellow canuck who had lots of luck because i applied early and broadly. I had similar MCAT scores (34) but much lower gpa to boot (3.7).

Have some people look over your personal statement for you (if you haven't already). Talk to old writing professors, principal investigators you did research with, doctors you shadowed, friends, parents, etc. It's good to have a wide range of people read it and get their feedback. A lot of people overlook the importance of a good personal statement, so definitely spend some time on making it better.

Also, apply in June instead of November! That alone could have been your death blow.

If you are, however, truly wondering if you should reapply maybe you should reconsider your choice to go into medicine. You seem to be an excellent applicant on paper and have done all the necessary things to get in. If this really is your dream, then you shouldn't even wonder about reapplying and just do it.

If you are, however, truly wondering if you should reapply maybe you should reconsider your choice to go into medicine. You seem to be an excellent applicant on paper and have done all the necessary things to get in. If this really is your dream, then you shouldn't even wonder about reapplying and just do it.

I am just frustrated. Everything seems "right" yet I am not succeeding. I was only starting to wonder if I, like so many out there, just have false hope and perhaps should give up the "dream" and do great things through a different path.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just frustrated. Everything seems "right" yet I am not succeeding. I was only starting to wonder if I, like so many out there, just have false hope and perhaps should give up the "dream" and do great things through a different path.

Don't give up your dream. Take the advice above. Do something really quality for this year. And you should be fine. It's tough, but if you want it bad enough, you'll get it.

Wayne State is a great school for Canadian applicants. And midtown Detroit isn't as bad as people say!!

Applying early will definitely be a big help to your app, but also make sure you keep yourself busy and do or continue some interesting work and volunteering. If you apply again with a carbon-copy of the same application as this cycle, the benefits of an early filing may be outweighed by the fatigue of an Adcom that isn't interested in someone who hasn't grown or experienced anything new in an entire year.

thanks, good advice!

I second everything else ppl said thus far, but just to add my $0.02: I think your MCAT is fine. It will only screw you over at Queen's and UWO, of all the Canadian schools, but who wants to go there anyways (j/k). I'd definitely have some ppl look over my personal statement and make sure my references aren't screwing me over if I were you, but otherwise you look golden. Best of luck!

PS. Make sure you actually answer what they want you to answer in the personal statements. For AMCAS, you have to address "Why doctor?" For Toronto, they want to know "Why doctor?" AS WELL AS why you chose your ugrad studies and how they will relate to you in your future medical career. Be sure to answer the question because Toronto is particularly fussy about the personal statement.

Yea, I am jumping in here to add my support too.

You should reapply for sure, I don't see anything wrong other than the fact that you applied TOO LATE for US schools and not enough of the right ones.

You should add UVM, Wayne, SLU, MCW, DMS to your list...and any NY school I suppose if you want to be near home.

As for Canada, it's really discouraging to see that you got rejected from every single one. It must've been the OOP thing - anyway, I also agree with the others about making sure your essays and LORs are done carefully.

Yea, I am jumping in here to add my support too.

You should reapply for sure, I don't see anything wrong other than the fact that you applied TOO LATE for US schools and not enough of the right ones.

You should add UVM, Wayne, SLU, MCW, DMS to your list...and any NY school I suppose if you want to be near home.

As for Canada, it's really discouraging to see that you got rejected from every single one. It must've been the OOP thing - anyway, I also agree with the others about making sure your essays and LORs are done carefully.

Yeah, I agree with everyone that has said this. I realize you applied late, and that along with school choice could have done the problem, but if there's any way you can double check to make sure your LORs didn't have anything negative in them (I don't know how you'd do this, maybe try to get new letters if you can?). Or, it's possible that if there's something really negative in them, one of the schools that rejected you will tell you. It seems odd to me that you only got one interview too.

Yeah, I agree with everyone that has said this. I realize you applied late, and that along with school choice could have done the problem, but if there's any way you can double check to make sure your LORs didn't have anything negative in them (I don't know how you'd do this, maybe try to get new letters if you can?). Or, it's possible that if there's something really negative in them, one of the schools that rejected you will tell you. It seems odd to me that you only got one interview too.[/QUOTE]

since she got a interview at MSU, most likely, nothing is wrong with her PS (other than maybe it focuses to much on primary care) or her LORs.

um...but wait, doesnt MSU offer interviews before it even reads your LORs? um, if thats the case perhaps it were your LORs.

Yeah, I agree with everyone that has said this. I realize you applied late, and that along with school choice could have done the problem, but if there's any way you can double check to make sure your LORs didn't have anything negative in them (I don't know how you'd do this, maybe try to get new letters if you can?). Or, it's possible that if there's something really negative in them, one of the schools that rejected you will tell you. It seems odd to me that you only got one interview too.[/QUOTE]

since she got a interview at MSU, most likely, nothing is wrong with her PS (other than maybe it focuses to much on primary care) or her LORs.

um...but wait, doesnt MSU offer interviews before it even reads your LORs? um, if thats the case perhaps it were your LORs.

LOL...ya, but I did get waitlisted there...I wasn't superb at the interview; kinda babbled on a little...AND for MSU, I was starting to think maybe it was my LORs so I only asked the 4 profs who willingly offered to write me references and offered me jobs themselves at their labs without me asking. So for MSU, I think I didn't make that mistake of LORs...

And my PS, I stated that I had a strong interest in neurology...hehe, which makes me wonder why the heck MSU liked me...maybe it was my paragraph on serving the underserved in Africa...

BUT I AM SO VERY GRATEFUL TO HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO MSU! I liked that school, so I am applying there again for sure.

Holy late application, Batman.

"-Went to Africa for 2 weeks to see how the poor lived"

Um, is this serious? There are plenty of poor people to "observe" right here in North America. A $4000 safari to watch poor people in their native habitat sounds like $4000 down the drain. You might want to leave that little factoid off your application.

Um, is this serious? There are plenty of poor people to "observe" right here in North America. A $4000 safari to watch poor people in their native habitat sounds like $4000 down the drain. You might want to leave that little factoid off your application.

haha, sorry..ya there is a problem with how i phrased that activity...i didnt go to just observe (although I liked doing that); i also helped in this huge AIDS center down there, built houses and visited sick people in their homes...lol...but thanks for making me laugh...and i am a batwoman ;)

PERFECT your personal statement. I've read too many PS's that are crummily written, laden with grammatical errors, tense changes, poor vocabulary, etc. It's something that many overlook, but it's the first opportunity to sell yourself. On SDN, alone, people have trouble with spelling, grammar, etc. Part of it is probably attributable to the informal nature of forum conversation.

I'm not saying that this was your problem (late application is my guess), but I know it is something that can give an average applicant an advantage or severely handicap a highly qualified applicant. DEFINITELY don't give up. Once you're in, it will be even sweeter. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all the input, support and encouragement! I know I am not a stellar applicant, and I have done my share of mistakes, but I have learned alot through this whole application process.

Thanks so much to those who listed off potential schools I can apply to; that was great help! I wish I had started this forum when I was thinking of applying so I could have saved myself some of the grief. But there is no time for a regretful attitude, only for a hopeful one!

I would still love to hear your comments, suggestions, criticisms, analysis and humour. :D Keep 'em coming!

In terms of the US schools (I don't know about the Canadian system) you applied to too few schools, and to very high volume application schools: NYMC, George Washington, and Albany Med get tons of applications.

Couple that with applying so late, and I think your application was just tossed to the side. Switch up the schools, apply early and you will get in somewhere next year. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the input, support and encouragement! I know I am not a stellar applicant, and I have done my share of mistakes, but I have learned alot through this whole application process.

Thanks so much to those who listed off potential schools I can apply to; that was great help! I wish I had started this forum when I was thinking of applying so I could have saved myself some of the grief. But there is no time for a regretful attitude, only for a hopeful one!

I would still love to hear your comments, suggestions, criticisms, analysis and humour. :D Keep 'em coming!

One thing you could do is call the schools that rejected you and just politely tell them that medicine is the path for you, and you will be reapplying next year, and would like to ask them why your application was rejected. This way you will know first-hand if there were any weaknesses in their view besides applying late.

A combination of bad luck and bad judgement is what kept you out. You're a very strong applicant. If you apply early this cycle, you should not have a problem.

I don't think you guys will ever understand how much hope you have given me!

I was really starting to believe the voices in my head telling me that I was disillusioned and that med school applicants were geniuses and Mother Teresas. Some of you have confirmed how I was feeling about my own application; others pointed out a few things I did not see. I like the comment about bad luck and bad judgment working against me because that is true. I should have consulted others before I had applied. I actually didn't tell many that I was applying (family and a couple of friends), and wrote everything myself and hit submit. Hence, I didn't realize that AMCAS takes 4-6 weeks for verification, that 'rolling admissions' meant it was extremely crucial for an earlier application, that U.S. medical schools required sincere letters of interest and calls and follow-ups. So here I am - now I have learned to ask and not to rely upon myself solely.

I do wish to re-apply again. I will definitely consult BEFORE I apply now, rather than AFTER getting the crappy rejections, going through the cylces of bafflement and sadness and rage over and over again!

I assure you guys I will not be in this same boat next year; I refuse to be the statistic that went wrong.

Maybe Michigan will pull through?

Didn't retake the MCAT? Normally, it's never wise to retake if you have a 30+, but since you are Canadian, you need to be extraordinary as a re-app (from what I've seen). In the re-apps forum, there are two people with ~3.8/39 that didn't even get INTERVIEWS from schools up north. Good luck, though, I think you'll have luck with US schools, but Canada is a long shot.

There are only two things i could think of that possibly went wrong.

1. You applied late.

2. You had a better LOR along the way and should consider getting new LORs to be on the safe side assuming that the LORs had something to do with it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: ya, that still makes me laugh. Okay, so I was being a little umm what's the word I am looking for? stupid? yes, i was being a little stupid...and i can't justify that comment...i still shake my head to this day at that comment i wrote...what was i thinking or not thinking...:laugh:

You mentioned consulting before applying again? Please don't take this harshly, but it is July. Many people hit the submit button the second AMCAS opened June 5. If you are serious about going to medical school, you should literally go home tonight and hit the submit button yourself. This is early ***right now***, but another month or maybe even a few weeks, and you will be applying at the later tier of early verging on wayyy after many many people again. In fact, people have already started getting interviews from schools, because they have not only applied, but they have already filled out secondaries and sent them back, and the schools already had enough time to reciprocate with an interview invitation.

I'm glad you are encouraged, because your stellar mdapps profile should encourage you even alone, but seriously - apply early, or we might see you here again next year (that would be my cycle, so please apply now - lol).

Also, expand your US school list to include more private schools and more lower tier (but they are still great!) schools. Don't just apply to the applicant-hungry power houses...

Hope this helps! Good luck, and seriously - hit that submit button.

Anybody else recommend other school names?

I recommend you get the MSAR book for this year. You can get it at any bookstore or from Amazon. It will give you the stats on schools, and there is controversy on trying to name lower-tier, because what is lower-tier for you, may actually refuse you while you get into a "higher" tier school. The process is a little random, but it's also very particular. Schools are looking for different things, so the MSAR book can help you figure out where you might be competitive, as well as places that may be more safeties for you too....

Make sense?

Go get the book! I'd suggest schools, but I have no idea who takes Canadians in large numbers - that would be a MSAR thing. :)

And hit submit on the schools you have already loaded to AMCAS! Get the process going!

Well, based on the sats I think you are a very strong applicant and that you have a great shot. The only problem that I can guess is: 1) late date 2) the schools applied to 3) the essays you wrote 4) the fact that you are foriegn.

1) apply earlier (aka NOW)
2) apply to schools like : MCW (in Milwaukee), RFU (in Chicago), Med college of Ohia, UVM (University of Vermont), Loyola
3) take off schools like Drexel, and one of the virginia schools is VERY VERY strict about virginia residents only altough they claim to accept out of state students with a strong tie to virgina (call them up). Mayo Med school is also a waste of money. This school pretty much pays for all their students' education (scholarships) and only accept a small number every year....your chances are super low at Mayo!!

I second the suggestion of getting the MSAR book....it can help you tell which schools take foriegn applicants and which do NOT. Plus, there is a phone number handy that you can use to call each school you think you have a shot at, and ask them what they think your chances are.

Note: The schools I recommended are those that have stats close to yours (or lower). However, I do NOT know how the foriegn thing will apply.

Best of luck.

:) hey, i read your mdapplicants.com profile, and PAT ON THE BACK!!! I want to be in your position next year! *crossing fingers*

I didn't discover Wayne State until I drove to MSU last month and a friend there told me about it...it's already on my list ;). I would love to go to Michigan or New York for school actually, so maybe next year I will be lucky!

Ew, why would you want to go to Michigan? Trust me, I've lived here my entire 22 years. Not worth it. Then again, for a Canadian, I guess the weather might seem warm. Hahaha

Ew, why would you want to go to Michigan? Trust me, I've lived here my entire 22 years. Not worth it. Then again, for a Canadian, I guess the weather might seem warm. Hahaha

I am not looking forward to Michigan's weather per se, although yes I anticipate it may be warmer than Toronto. I like Michigan because it's close to home; that's a big bonus for me. I also like Michigan's conservativism in general.

Wish me luck this time round!!!!!!!!!!!!!