Wondering what to do in my yr off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinfin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys recommended doing for a student taking a year off before medical school. I was thinking maybe post-bacc or research? What do med schools look more favorably upon?

Members don't see this ad.

it all depends on how close you are to applying.

In terms of helping yourself get in, I would concentrate on doing something medically related. Research is good, and if you can do medical research in which you are surrounded by physicians and patients, all the better. Any projects involving medically related charity work is great as well.

In terms of mental health and well-being, I would suggest that once you are accepted, if you have time, you do some traveling or something minimally related to medicine. This opinion may not be shared by all, but I personally believe it makes you a more well-rounded person and decreases the chance of burnout (because you have a good deal of hard work ahead of you).

Start studying for USMLE-1.... Take a moth or two vacation, if you can afford it, prior to school starting so you are refreshed and rejuvenated.

Er... wait. You said "before medical school" and then you say "what to med schools look favorably on." Ignore my post because you've obviously counted your chickens before they've hatched.

I think what you do would depend on what kind of school you plan to apply/get into(research oriented etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
NO!!! Do something interesting and that you enjoy doing. It's your LAST CHANCE. As long as your application is strong, take the time off and do something for YOU, not for the med schools. I just last week had a long conversation with a medical resident and he said DO NOT do ANYTHING medical related in your year off if you don't want to...if you can't live without volunteering a couple hours a week at a free clinic or something, that's cool...but don't do it as your job or whatever.

Originally posted by avhart
NO!!! Do something interesting and that you enjoy doing. It's your LAST CHANCE. As long as your application is strong, take the time off and do something for YOU, not for the med schools. I just last week had a long conversation with a medical resident and he said DO NOT do ANYTHING medical related in your year off if you don't want to...if you can't live without volunteering a couple hours a week at a free clinic or something, that's cool...but don't do it as your job or whatever.

I agree.

LIVE DAMMIT.........LIVE!!:eek:

Taking a year off is a great experience and people who don't do it right after college are shortchanging themselves - you're only young once!

I took a year off to work in the most non-medical of settings, learn to fight (literally), sleep, make some dough. My advice is to just stay away from books and hospitals- you won't regret it.

:D

I agree with everyone who has posted before me--have fun!! Do something you've always wanted to do but never had time for. Travel. Party. Have a damn good time.

I'm just finishing up my 'year off' after college, and I'll be going to med school in the fall. I am so glad I took this year off!! I was terribly burnt out after graduating last May. This year has certainly helped me recover and regain my sanity. I've traveled, volunteered, worked enough to keep myself going, slept, hung out with my friends and family, developed a passion for Jane Austen novels...the most medically-related thing I've done (aside from actually applying to med school) is become an outreach volunteer at Planned Parenthood and shadow a family practice doc in Cali.

It's been glorious! I'm a little sad to see it end, but I'm all the more excited to start med school! :clap:

Originally posted by peace_puff
I agree with everyone who has posted before me--have fun!! Do something you've always wanted to do but never had time for. Travel. Party. Have a damn good time.

I'm just finishing up my 'year off' after college, and I'll be going to med school in the fall. I am so glad I took this year off!! I was terribly burnt out after graduating last May. This year has certainly helped me recover and regain my sanity. I've traveled, volunteered, worked enough to keep myself going, slept, hung out with my friends and family, developed a passion for Jane Austen novels...the most medically-related thing I've done (aside from actually applying to med school) is become an outreach volunteer at Planned Parenthood and shadow a family practice doc in Cali.

It's been glorious! I'm a little sad to see it end, but I'm all the more excited to start med school! :clap:

I can't tell you how reassuring all of these posts are...Right now I'm beginning my "year off," and of course, I've worried about what I should or shouldn't be doing. This is fabulous insight. Thanks guys! :)

Hey Guys-

Thanks for the ideas. I'm more of a middle of the raod applicatn, so I need every advantage I can get. So, I'm seriously leaning towards research and then (this is wishful thinking) hopefully I get in by october/november and do whatever I want till med school. anyway, thanks again. Is it true at Columbia and Cornell all the applicants have 2 to 3 yrs of research and have been published?