Wondering whether or not the following count as clinical and research experience . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deathbyrockyroad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, friends. I've exhausted a search of these forums and, while I've found many "Wondering if this counts as research?" threads, they all seem to be grounded in the hard(-er) sciences. My undergraduate majors were music and anthropology so my research is very much humanities driven.

To make a super long story short, my capstone thesis was a study of vocal aesthetics in opera. There was about 1.5 years of original research that contributed to the project. All of that data was ethnographically mined; in other words, I went out to various field sites to participate in--and observe--choirs, opera productions, etc. Interviews were a huge component of the project, as well. Nothing to do with the scientific method and the antithesis of a hypothesis driven paper. Ultimately published (albeit by my alma mater that publishes all of their capstone projects-- wondering if that counts?).

Second query has to do with clinical experience. I currently work as a personal care aide (PCA, HCSS, HHA, the acronyms are as many as they are varied). I currently work with patients who have traumatic brain injuries as a caregiver; essentially, my job is to help them live as independently as possible in their own homes and to help them integrate themselves into their communities. Was also wondering if this counted as clinical experience--or is this limited to lab settings? Was pre-med for a while and a lot of these requirements go by the same terms.

Thanks so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, friends. I've exhausted a search of these forums and, while I've found many "Wondering if this counts as research?" threads, they all seem to be grounded in the hard(-er) sciences. My undergraduate majors were music and anthropology so my research is very much humanities driven.

To make a super long story short, my capstone thesis was a study of vocal aesthetics in opera. There was about 1.5 years of original research that contributed to the project. All of that data was ethnographically mined; in other words, I went out to various field sites to participate in--and observe--choirs, opera productions, etc. Interviews were a huge component of the project, as well. Nothing to do with the scientific method and the antithesis of a hypothesis driven paper. Ultimately published (albeit by my alma mater that publishes all of their capstone projects-- wondering if that counts?).

I don't think this would help too much with the research experience requirements for most doctoral programs, because of the bolded section. The point of research experience is to show that you have the skills and knowledge of performing the kinds of empirical research done in psychology and with the professional methods of producing research that can add to the existing literature.

Second query has to do with clinical experience. I currently work as a personal care aide (PCA, HCSS, HHA, the acronyms are as many as they are varied). I currently work with patients who have traumatic brain injuries as a caregiver; essentially, my job is to help them live as independently as possible in their own homes and to help them integrate themselves into their communities. Was also wondering if this counted as clinical experience--or is this limited to lab settings? Was pre-med for a while and a lot of these requirements go by the same terms.

Thanks so much for your time!

Having clinical experience is good, though individual programs weight it differently, but eventually it will lead to diminishing returns.

It's more important that you get some research experience. Since you aren't a psych major and don't have much experience, it might be helpful for you to complete a master's program in clinical or experimental psychology that results in a thesis and possibly some poster presentations or peer-reviewed publications.

I conducted ethnographic research for my own dissertation, but it was systematic and used qualitative analyses. Qualitative research is acceptable in our field although psych.meout is right that most programs will what to know that you can design and interpret solid quantitative research. Add some of that to what you have done and also learn how to intelligently critique the work that you have done prior. In other words, when you say that an ethnography has nothing to do with the scientific method, that is not really accurate. It is true that it would not be an experiment, but systematic observation is part of the scientific method.

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly think it counts as "research" but is obviously WILDLY removed from what programs look for in topics and slightly removed from what most programs would ideally want in method. If this is your "only" research experience, I don't think its going to help very much but if it is one of several experiences you are likely fine.

Ethnography can certainly be an appropriate part of the scientific process and there is nothing wrong with doing it. I know multiple folks who have done it in graduate school. However, I think its important to be able to show you are generally familiar with standard topics in the field. This may be less true if you are really going to focus your applications on mentors/programs that do ethnography work.

RE: clinical experience - sorta? Counts as patient contact. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much though. Most people won't have much more than that applying to grad programs, just because its tough to get "true" clinical experience at that level. The research will be the bigger hurdle for most programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all very much for your perspectives and input--it's all very much appreciated (particularly the note about the intervention of the scientific method in ethnographic works--will think on that)!

I suppose it was a long shot! At the moment, this is my only experience with research, but I have about two or three years before I want to apply to graduate programs so I have quite a bit of time to get things rolling in that department. Currently applying to a few research assistant externships around the area, hopefully someone will bite. Also looking to take a couple of classes at a local state school in the interim--Psychological Statistics and Research Methods will probably happen in the spring. Hoping that a university setting will also help to provide some additional experience with research and possibly publications (will have to look into how to get more of the latter).

Briefly flirted with the idea of doing a terminal MA to help with research and publications, but I'd actually like to pay off my undergraduate debt before I embark down that road again.

Thank you all again!

Thank you all very much for your perspectives and input--it's all very much appreciated (particularly the note about the intervention of the scientific method in ethnographic works--will think on that)!

I suppose it was a long shot! At the moment, this is my only experience with research, but I have about two or three years before I want to apply to graduate programs so I have quite a bit of time to get things rolling in that department. Currently applying to a few research assistant externships around the area, hopefully someone will bite. Also looking to take a couple of classes at a local state school in the interim--Psychological Statistics and Research Methods will probably happen in the spring. Hoping that a university setting will also help to provide some additional experience with research and possibly publications (will have to look into how to get more of the latter).

Briefly flirted with the idea of doing a terminal MA to help with research and publications, but I'd actually like to pay off my undergraduate debt before I embark down that road again.

Thank you all again!
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with the RA jobs.

Rather than create an entirely new thread, I was hoping I might get a response to this query here: I recently applied to a research related externship but the response that I received from one of the organizers at this institution has left me slightly puzzled. Their reply is, in part, as followed:
We have revised much of what we do in this department, and now do not pursue research studies in a formal sense; rather we do program evaluation research on the effectiveness of the behavioral health services we provide to children and families. There is a great deal of work with data analysis and reporting now.
They told me to send in my resume if I'm still interested but I'm not entirely certain what this statement means. Does program evaluation research, data analysis, and reporting still constitute the type of research relevant to what graduate programs are looking for experience-wise?

I was hoping somebody might be able to educate me on this issue. I'm afraid that I'm not even entirely certain what types of questions to ask in response to this reply!

Rather than create an entirely new thread, I was hoping I might get a response to this query here: I recently applied to a research related externship but the response that I received from one of the organizers at this institution has left me slightly puzzled. Their reply is, in part, as followed:

They told me to send in my resume if I'm still interested but I'm not entirely certain what this statement means. Does program evaluation research, data analysis, and reporting still constitute the type of research relevant to what graduate programs are looking for experience-wise?

I was hoping somebody might be able to educate me on this issue. I'm afraid that I'm not even entirely certain what types of questions to ask in response to this reply!
I actually think that effective program evaluation is some of the most important research that we have going; however, I don't know if the people in the admissions departments would value it as much as traditional quantitative experimental design for potential students. It doesn't meant that it won't count, especially if it is done well and even better if results are presented or published.

I actually think that effective program evaluation is some of the most important research that we have going; however, I don't know if the people in the admissions departments would value it as much as traditional quantitative experimental design for potential students. It doesn't meant that it won't count, especially if it is done well and even better if results are presented or published.
Thank you for your response! Decided to send in my resume to this institution. Since all of my other research related cold calls have basically been rejected, my options are pretty limited. Hoping that this may end up opening doors to other opportunities, assuming they decide to take me in.