Woo-hoo! Full ride scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was informed today that I am the recipient of a full ride scholarship to obtain my funeral director's license courtesy of the company I currently work for. The only hang up is that I have to transfer to what until recently was a 2 year school but now offers a few bachelor's programs (and the school has "university" in its name so most people out of the state would never know this fact). (the program I'm going into is a AS program). The only reason I am doing this is because it will mean a major pay raise once I complete the program (from $22K a year to about $50K) and I'm guaranteed to have a job with a national company once I graduate. :thumbup:

Since I'm only a few semesters (four) into my bachelor's I don't think it will be that much of a hinderance and it will be a good way to get my bulls--t gen ed classes out of the way for less money. Also it will be a good way to pad my GPA. I'll be doing the general bio and chemistry prereqs for med school while at the new school- but I will be doing upper level course work in both once I transfer back to the school where I will complete my BS degrees in biology and chemistry, so I don't think it will be that much of a detriment when I go to apply. :thumbup:

Sorry, I'm all excited. I needed to share this with people.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! That is fantastic. :thumbup: Now give me some.

Congrats! Though, I was extra-confused/surprised by your title, and now just slightly confused... So you're going to get a Funeral Director's license plus some pre-med classes for free, but still continue pre-med?

You'll have an interesting card to hand out as a doctor. "In case anything bad should happen, Mrs. Jones, though I don't expect it, I am also fully licensed for funerals as well..."

Anyways, congrats again!

Members don't see this ad :)
dajimmers said:
Congrats! Though, I was extra-confused/surprised by your title, and now just slightly confused... So you're going to get a Funeral Director's license plus some pre-med classes for free, but still continue pre-med?

You'll have an interesting card to hand out as a doctor. "In case anything bad should happen, Mrs. Jones, though I don't expect it, I am also fully licensed for funerals as well..."

Anyways, congrats again!
HAHAHA....He provides full service.
From the womb to the tomb.

Hahahaha, there are all sorts of bad jokes since I also run as a volunteer EMT-I in the same area I work as a funeral director's assistant.
FAMILY: "Wait.....aren't you the medic who took care of Mom last night?"
ME: "Yes, I am. I take it you found the business card I left on her bed?"
;) :laugh:

A recurring joke around the funeral home:
Rejected ideas for a t-shirt for the funeral director's assistants would wear while doing removals
1. “Because Grandma isn’t getting any fresher”
2. “Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, hauling bodies is a must”
3. “We don’t descend like a flock of vultures; vultures don’t charge nearly this much.”
4. “It’s not just a good idea, it’s also the law”
5. “See! Told you they were sick.”
6. “When they absolutely positively didn’t make through the night.”
7. “Yes, it’s a dead body. No, you can’t take a peek.”

But on a serious note I've found that I have become much better at dealing with people since doing this job for the past few months, even more than I was after years of working in health care. While I don't recommend this line of work for everyone, I must say that if you can excel in this, you would stand an excellent chance of having good bedside manner as a physician.

But yes, I plan on going for my associate's in mortuary science while knocking out a couple of the pre-reqs. If I do exceedingly well, it would allow me to pull my GPA into the 3.8 range.

Whoo Hoo! Make the most of the opportunity, man.

I consider it an honor that you occupy your free time by making bad jokes on my thread Brett. :laugh: