1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Woof... not so great last semester

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by robinsph, May 14, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. robinsph

robinsph

Aug 18, 2013
    So, last semester I was taking 16 credits of all pretty hard classes at University of Michigan (last semester of Latin, Calc 2, Molecular bio, and a class on Lakes Rivers and Wetlands). I didn't fail anything, but it was my worst semester since my very first semester of college (2 C's, B-, B). I don't know what the hell happened but I really dropped the ball on that semester and I think I should address it in my personal statement. The grade I'm most concerned about is molecular bio because I got a C in it; it all came down to one test which i studied like crazy for but somehow really really messed up on which threw me to a C instead of getting an A-. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should bring this up in my personal statement?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. medickdb

medickdb 5+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Don't.

4. iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay Banned Banned

Aug 15, 2013
    Would you rather explain why you didn't do well in certain classes/semester/year or spend that character count on your journey/desire/call/experiences that led you to want to become a doctor?

Up to you but answer is pretty clear.

5. Drrrrrr. Celty

Drrrrrr. Celty Osteo Dullahan 7+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2009
    As they said, don't let one poor semester take you down. Plenty of people will have a crappy last semester for more than a few reasons. Just answer genuinely come interview time.

6. robinsph

robinsph

Aug 18, 2013
    Good advice! Thanks guys!

7. WesternRedCedar

WesternRedCedar

Dec 14, 2013
    "So, last semester I was taking 16 credits of all pretty hard classes"

4 classes...isn't a heavy semester....

Agree with everyone elsethough, dont mention it.

8. iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay Banned Banned

Aug 15, 2013
    I have never taken below 17 credits except this semester.... should have though....

9. shinytofu

shinytofu 2+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Oregon
    Nevermind the personal statement - would C's in the final semester be a huge red flag for admissions, especially when taking an easier courseload? I would assume it would come up during interviews.

10. WesternRedCedar

WesternRedCedar

Dec 14, 2013
    Just have an honest explanation, don't lie. Many have an "off" semester, even if for non-emergency related situations...

Make sure your next semester is A's OP. Otherwise a downward trend, especially in an easy semester will not be looked at favourably.

But no, don't waste space on PS on that - they will already see your grades.