WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDMD05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well this forum has been in existence for a few hours now and no one has posted anything. So here?s to breaking it in. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

Members don't see this ad.

I am very excited that pre-optometry has finally been added to a forum...I know that I for one haven't ruled out the field of optometry yet as is true for several other people I know...good move SDN!!!

So what's the rationale behind a career in optometry? Why not go to med school and become an opthalmologist?

What's the scope of an OD's practice? Where does it end and where does the MD's begin?

Curious,

W.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by turtleboard:
So what's the rationale behind a career in optometry? Why not go to med school and become an opthalmologist?

What's the scope of an OD's practice? Where does it end and where does the MD's begin?

Curious,

W.

i agree. it seems much more profitable to be an opthalmologist. and the schooling is equal at four years.

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 02-28-2001).]

There are several good reasons for choosing optometry over opthalmalogy. I, for one, am interested in providing health care and making a comfortable living while having time on the side to pursue other interests. I do not want to deal with the stress of conducting surgeries that could permanently affect the vision of my patient. (I realize that I will in part be responsible for people's eyesight but not in such a risky way). Also, I feel that coming from a small community and hoping to raise a family in a small community, the optometry degree will be a lot more useful as some people are actually intimidated by the costs of most opthalmalogist when compared to optometrists. I can see both ways of thinking and I agree, there are a lot of good things that opthalmalogists can do, but that doesn't invalidate the work of optometrists....just my insight.

Oh..I almost forgot to ask...doesn't opthalmalogy require a rather lengthy residency? I have no idea....someone enlighten me please!

Training the Opthalmologist.

FOUR years of medical school.
FOUR years of an opthalmology residency (which includes one-year of internal medicine as the internship, PGY1, year).

Sounds easy? Not really. Opthalmology only sports about 430 positions nationwide and requires EXCELLENT grades and really good Board scores for the chance at interviewing. Last year nearly 20% of all MD seniors who applied for opthalmology were unmatched (rejected).

I realize that there are advantages in being an OD in terms of the hours and training one puts in, but I guess I don't know enough about the OD's scope of practice.

Someone enlighten me.

W.

dmd, dmd, dmd...

Do the words "profit," "money," and "salary" EVER escape your mind for a second?
smile.gif

For everyone's information, the MD with the highest salary in the United States is an opthalmologist who pulls in $10,000,000. The second highest salary for the MD in the US also goes to an opthalmologist who pulls in $5,000,000. Source: Opthalmology resident, SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
smile.gif

W.

one of them has to be Charles Kelman of New York or James P. Gills of Florida

From the American Optometric Association http://www.aoanet.org/:

As primary eye care providers, doctors of optometry examine, diagnose, treat and manage diseases and disorders of the visual system, the eyes and associated structures as well as diagnose related systemic conditions.

Optometrists examine the internal and external structure of the eyes to diagnose eye diseases like glaucoma, cataracts and retinal disorders; systemic diseases like hypertension and diabetes; and vision conditions like nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia. They also determine the patient's ability to focus and coordinate the eyes, to judge depth and to see color accurately.

They prescribe eyeglasses and contact lenses, low vision aids, vision therapy and medications to treat eye diseases as well as perform certain surgical procedures.

Optometrists work in private practices, multidisciplinary medical practices, hospitals, teaching institutions, research positions, community health centers and the ophthalmic industry, while others choose careers in the military, public health or government service.

Ophthalmology is a heck of a word to spell...

Optometry seems like it does more diagnosis and Ophthalmology, more surgery and eye-treatment.

What is the major difference between the two?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by turtleboard:
dmd, dmd, dmd...

Do the words "profit," "money," and "salary" EVER escape your mind for a second?
smile.gif

For everyone's information, the MD with the highest salary in the United States is an opthalmologist who pulls in $10,000,000. The second highest salary for the MD in the US also goes to an opthalmologist who pulls in $5,000,000. Source: Opthalmology resident, SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
smile.gif

W.

You are just filled with info
smile.gif

I suppose.
smile.gif

It sure beats being full of *hit.
wink.gif
Although, I just know someone out there is aching to write that about me.

W.

I was just bored and thought on reviving the forum?s oldest thread. :sleep: