WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by DrDMD05, Feb 27, 2001.

1. DrDMD05

DrDMD05 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well this forum has been in existence for a few hours now and no one has posted anything. So here?s to breaking it in. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. andy33

andy33 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am very excited that pre-optometry has finally been added to a forum...I know that I for one haven't ruled out the field of optometry yet as is true for several other people I know...good move SDN!!!

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So what's the rationale behind a career in optometry? Why not go to med school and become an opthalmologist?

What's the scope of an OD's practice? Where does it end and where does the MD's begin?

Curious,

W.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DrDMD05

DrDMD05 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i agree. it seems much more profitable to be an opthalmologist. and the schooling is equal at four years.

[This message has been edited by DrDMD05 (edited 02-28-2001).]

5. andy33

andy33 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

There are several good reasons for choosing optometry over opthalmalogy. I, for one, am interested in providing health care and making a comfortable living while having time on the side to pursue other interests. I do not want to deal with the stress of conducting surgeries that could permanently affect the vision of my patient. (I realize that I will in part be responsible for people's eyesight but not in such a risky way). Also, I feel that coming from a small community and hoping to raise a family in a small community, the optometry degree will be a lot more useful as some people are actually intimidated by the costs of most opthalmalogist when compared to optometrists. I can see both ways of thinking and I agree, there are a lot of good things that opthalmalogists can do, but that doesn't invalidate the work of optometrists....just my insight.

6. andy33

andy33 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh..I almost forgot to ask...doesn't opthalmalogy require a rather lengthy residency? I have no idea....someone enlighten me please!

7. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Training the Opthalmologist.

FOUR years of medical school.
    FOUR years of an opthalmology residency (which includes one-year of internal medicine as the internship, PGY1, year).

Sounds easy? Not really. Opthalmology only sports about 430 positions nationwide and requires EXCELLENT grades and really good Board scores for the chance at interviewing. Last year nearly 20% of all MD seniors who applied for opthalmology were unmatched (rejected).

I realize that there are advantages in being an OD in terms of the hours and training one puts in, but I guess I don't know enough about the OD's scope of practice.

Someone enlighten me.

W.

8. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    dmd, dmd, dmd...

Do the words "profit," "money," and "salary" EVER escape your mind for a second? [​IMG]

For everyone's information, the MD with the highest salary in the United States is an opthalmologist who pulls in $10,000,000. The second highest salary for the MD in the US also goes to an opthalmologist who pulls in $5,000,000. Source: Opthalmology resident, SUNY Downstate Medical Center. [​IMG]

W.

9. Jason Park

Jason Park Junior Member

one of them has to be Charles Kelman of New York or James P. Gills of Florida

10. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From the American Optometric Association http://www.aoanet.org/:

11. Ophthalmology is a heck of a word to spell...

Optometry seems like it does more diagnosis and Ophthalmology, more surgery and eye-treatment.

What is the major difference between the two?

12. viperdoc

viperdoc Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

You are just filled with info [​IMG]

13. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I suppose. [​IMG]

It sure beats being full of *hit. [​IMG] Although, I just know someone out there is aching to write that about me.

W.

14. J.opt

7+ Year Member

I was just bored and thought on reviving the forum?s oldest thread. :sleep: