1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

"Woop there it is!" (What does that mean anyway?)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Zendoc, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi. I just took the MCAT for the second time and I am finally applying to medical school after about 5 years of being "pre-med." I have a huge dilemma to figure out though. I took a load of alternative medicine classes at San Francisco State during my five years there. I studied biofeedback, autogenic regulation, blah, blah, blah. I have been considering DO school for a couple of years now because I think that my philosophy aligns much more closely with DO practice than it does with allopathic medicine. However, each time I get serious and start telling people my plans, I somehow get concerned or thrown off my path because of the stigma surrounding alternative medicine or DO school. I know it shouldn't matter what other people think, but after all of the work I've done, it does kind of hurt to think that people may say, "Oh, she went to DO school because she couldn't get into med school..." This would not be the case. I know I will get into medical school but when I think about DO school, I really get excited!!!!!

Is there anyone out there who has gone through this dilemma or went through a period of choosing between allopathic medical school and osteopathic medical school? For those of you in osteopathic school, do you find yourselves with the same opporunities as allopathic medical students? What is osteopathic school like? Are you happy with your decision? I want to make the best, most informed decision. I appreciate any comments. Thank you. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doc2007

Doc2007 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Read FAQs.

4. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you, that was very helpful.

5. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Go with your gut and what gets you excited. I applied to both MD and DO and have just gotten accepted into a DO program down here and am real excited. Past few months I've spent some time with a well respected DO (emergency physician) and I was pretty much sold on DO. In the back of my mind I may have some similar concerns that you have but just from thinking it through, talking with him, and reading stuff on here I don't have any concerns. All I knew is that wherever I went I'd do my best and rock the boards and then shoot for a good residency.

So for your own sanity and future happiness go where you're most comfortable.

6. It'sElectric

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just to clarify, osteopathic medicine is not alternative medicine. An osteopathic medical education is identical to an allopathic one, except we have additional (quite useful for a number of reasons, in my mind) training in the musculoskeletal system and a slight lean towards developing physicians that have a primary care state of mind. Note that the last statement does not mean that DOs only go into primary care fields. In fact, a very large percentage of DOs from most schools go on to specialize.

Other than that, I think you should go to the school (MD or DO) that feels best for you. If you're dead set on OMM, then definitely only go DO.

7. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, Zendoc, first of all, if you want to make the most informed decision, you'll want to learn more about doctors of Osteopathic medicine. You can do this well by shadowing some DO's and asking them a lot of questions, specifically ones that address your concerns. What better source than practicing DO's? Other than that, read about the history of Osteopathy; there are several good books on the subject, i.e., Gevitz, The DO's. The reason I suggest this is because it appears that you have some misconceptions about DO's.

After talking with and following some DO's and MD's around, you'll begin to realize that there isn't much difference in how the two practice. In most cases, you won't be able to tell the difference between the two. DO's and MD's are professional equivalents in the United States; both are physicians and licensed to practice the full scope of medicine. Both attend medical school, so your thought that, "Oh, she went to DO school because she couldn't get into med school..." doesn't even make sense. To my knowledge, DO's are represented in every medical specialty; they have their own residencies and fellowships, but are also eligible to match in Allopathic residencies and fellowships. The main difference is that DO's learn OMM/OMT in medical school, in addition to everything else, although only a small percentage of DO's actually use OMT regularly in their practices. Look at the FAQ here, or goto the AOA site and you'll find out some of the historical focuses and tenets of Osteopathic medicine.

Good luck.

8. Taty

Taty Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "Oh, she went to DO school because she couldn't get into med school..." -heard that one I dont give a [email protected]#$t about it.

My neighbor who is a nurse ( she married to an oral surgeon) and has a daughter who is ER resident,told me that she would never let her daughter to attend D.O school because you cannot specialize, and she was trying to convince me to go to MD school (I have been accepted to both).

I decided go with my gut and attend NYCOM. My neighbor also told me that there are no D.Os in Long Island hospitals...well you know...it is bs since there is NYCOM :)

So...just do what makes you feel happy...

Good Luck

9. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When people ask my PCP (a D.O.) if he practices alternative medicine, he says "Yes, I talk to my patients.";)

10. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I like that. :thumbup:

11. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect

Resident [Any Field]
    I can really respect you for not letting others get to you. :thumbup:

After I got into PCOM, I was talked to by a ex-step-mother who is a nurse and she asked if I was really willing to go DO.... so frustrating. Everyone who matters to me is really proud of me getting into PCOM. My mother's family has gone to a DO all their life and they're thrilled.

12. nvshelat

nvshelat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You should show her a picture of Nick Gabriel, DO, proud NYCOM graduate and one of the leaders and pioneers in his field. I mean, DOs can even have their own websites these days!! :eek:
    http://drnickgabriel.com/

13. nvshelat

nvshelat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

LOL ok OMG don't show her that site... that guy must have a serious inferiority complex.. who writes "power point producer" on their CV?! LOL

14. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Member
    7+ Year Member

elementary school valedictorian...pure comedy. :thumbup:

15. Jamers

Jamers Sexy Man
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    King's College, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Bachelor of Science, General Science, 1989

Sweet, he might be a douche but he went to my undergrad!!!

16. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow, that post meant a lot to me. Thanks for being so honest. I really appreciate it! Have a good weekend and congratulations on being accepted! :)

17. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! I was wondering about the similarity between the curricula, thank you for clarifying.

18. DNA Helicase

DNA Helicase Let's do this!
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    It's the same. Except people will be less receptive if you're an arrogant a-hole about it.

19. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow

Fellow [Any Field]
    Nice.....

20. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :)

21. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, that's a good one and precisely the kind of doctor I want to be.

22. Zendoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks. ;)

23. nabeya

nabeya Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow, his CV is very thorough in listing every one of his accomplishments. So thorough I'm surprised he didn't give dates and times of every one of his bowel movements in the past 3 years just so he could place it on his CV as well.
    :laugh:

24. PlAnEjaNe

PlAnEjaNe Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

I like how under 'education' he lists his elementary school:

St. Francis of Paola Elementary School, Brooklyn, New York
    Graduate 1982, Valedictorian

...and his high school:

Xavier High School, New York, New York
    High School Diploma, 1986

LOL :laugh: :laugh: