Word fillers in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused1617

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As much as I've tried to stop, I say "ummm" while I speak. It's a terrible habit. The more nervous I am, the more I use it. So I'm currently practicing interviewing and I've found myself to use it more than ever. Like even if I've memorized the response, I still manage to say umm then say a few words and say umm again! This is while I do mock interviews with family and friends so I can only imagine how it'll be with complete strangers! Any advice???

Members don't see this ad.

Have someone drop a coin in a tin can every time you say Ummm or other fillers. Hearing that helps you realize when you are doing that and will focus your brain. You can also practice taking a breath every time you want to say Ummm instead of staying Ummm. Watch out for "like" too. Like, we went to the bar and got drunk, like.

Reactions: 1 user
I say "hmmm..." or extend a word out, for example "the...." or "I....." also, being silent is for a few seconds is okay instead of saying "umm."

I sometimes use: "well", "you know?", "that's interesting", "follow me on instagram", or "I swear my mixtape is fire." Those usually work, you can thank me later. :pompous:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you take a public speaking class, they usually try to knock it out of you.

If it makes you feel any better, this is my issue when I talk...
qpmwav5.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Go to a Toastmasters meeting or two, they usually have local chapters on meetup.com

A lot of people use hmmm, and ummm as timing devices. It can help to concentrate on making your speech slow and deliberate, that prevents you from getting ahead of your own thoughts.

As much as I've tried to stop, I say "ummm" while I speak. It's a terrible habit. The more nervous I am, the more I use it. So I'm currently practicing interviewing and I've found myself to use it more than ever. Like even if I've memorized the response, I still manage to say umm then say a few words and say umm again! This is while I do mock interviews with family and friends so I can only imagine how it'll be with complete strangers! Any advice???

Forget the interviewers, how will you explain to the patient, a complex procedure!

"So, ummmm, this tooth has, ummmm a decay, ummmm, I have to drill and fill it..... Ummm any questions?"

Forget the interviewers, how will you explain to the patient, a complex procedure!

"So, ummmm, this tooth has, ummmm a decay, ummmm, I have to drill and fill it..... Ummm any questions?"
Ummm idk ;)

No, but it's really an issue during interviews. That's when I use it the most.