Word limit on secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drako

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a secondary question has a suggestion that states that a certain space "can contain approximately 400 words," would it be harmful to one's candidacy to medical school to go over this limit? The quote was taken from Northwestern secondary questions. Do the schools even care if you go above the limit a few words (<50 words)?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if they say "approximately" then it's not a real limit, but I wouldn't greatly exceed their suggestion. I also would avoid using a font size that is smaller than 10 pt -- that's what some schools are saying anyway -- to make your essay fit the space.

Hey Drako,

I don't think you should worry about it. The directions say "approximately". They're just trying to give you an idea of the length that will fit in the box. I floated a bit over 400 words myself, but it still fit in the box, so I left it.

Members don't see this ad :)
northwestern has set the maximum length of the responses by limiting the size of the box. you don't need to worry about the length of your answers as long as the box will hold them. eventually, if you keep writing, the box will no longer accept any more characters.

Problem is...I unprotected the document and my boxes extend without limit! LOL :) Tks for the help everyone!