Word-searching function in computer-based MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celeschil007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just want to ask anyone who has already taken a computer-based MCAT before: During the test, can we search for a particular word in a passage (similar to that Ctrl+F function in an internet browser)?
Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep.

I read that this would be the case starting this January, so I emailed AAMC to confirm it. They did, in fact, confirm that a search function would be available on the test beginning in January. There is a thread about it on here somewhere...

Woo hoo! I used the word search feature on a practice test today. I found it quite useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read that this would be the case starting this January, so I emailed AAMC to confirm it. They did, in fact, confirm that a search function would be available on the test beginning in January. There is a thread about it on here somewhere...
Yeah after seeing that thread I called the AAMC, left my email address, and was written back that there is only the search function on the practice exams and not on the real one. Maybe whomever wrote me back did not know about the to-be change in Jan.

I guess we can call AAMC back and verify if this is the case or not. I hope it is!

Just emailed them to verify either way
Thank you for contacting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) program. Sorry. Unfortunately, there is not a searach function for the MCAT exam at this time. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.
Warm Regards,
The MCAT Resource Center Staff

So good luck to those practicing with that feature.

Yeah I wonder if maybe, just maybe in 2009 they will start 14-day score releases.
That would be such a nice surprise but highly unlikely.

Good to know there will be no search function- to take practice exams accordingly. Thanks for emailing them RRTinCO.

Just emailed them to verify either way

So good luck to those practicing with that feature.

Here is the response they gave me:

Thank you for contacting the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) program.

You will be able to highlight passage sections and to strike out answer
choices, there is word search function. For more information please visit
our registration page :http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/registration.htm

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Warm Regards,

The MCAT Resource Center Staff
Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N St., NW
Washington, DC 20037
U.S.A.

Why are there so many conflicting responses? This is kind of frustrating. I dont know who to trust, especially when the AAMC can't even keep their stories straight.

i tried to search their website for what functions are given on test date (highlight, cross throughs, etc) but I can't seem to find anything.

So.... what's the verdict guys? Search function or no?

So.... what's the verdict guys? Search function or no?
RRTinCO (and myself) got emails saying no. TooMuchResearch got an email saying yes.

I might call AAMC on Mon to verify yes/no, and ask if score releases will be 14-days even though I doubt they will be...

You might as well practice without using it. If it turns out to be on the real deal then it's a bonus.
Good idea, I am going to do this! It will be a pleasant surprise if it comes up on the real thing.