Wording of question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orange86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program.

-Does this mean why I chose an M.D. degree, versus a D.O.
-Or why an M.D. over a Pharm D, MPH, MHA, etc

Members don't see this ad.

• Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program.

-Does this mean why I chose an M.D. degree, versus a D.O.
-Or why an M.D. over a Pharm D, MPH, MHA, etc

More like "why medicine instead of the million other professions in the world, most of which require less training and sacrifice?"

I agree with Jacks interpretation

Members don't see this ad :)
me too. although why didn't they just say medicine?

Well, technically, I believe, there are other professions like PAs that also practice "medicine".

Honestly, you can probably answer the question any way that you want. I wouldn't go down the MD v. DO route myself because I really can't think of a great essay to write on that topic. But it's your essay -- tell the ADCOM what YOU want them to know about you.

Well, technically, I believe, there are other professions like PAs that also practice "medicine".

Honestly, you can probably answer the question any way that you want. I wouldn't go down the MD v. DO route myself because I really can't think of a great essay to write on that topic. But it's your essay -- tell the ADCOM what YOU want them to know about you.

Yeah, I don't think they're using "MD" as a prompt for a MD v DO thing. That's the degree you're applying for, so they want to know why. If they'd said something like "why are you applying to this school?" then you'd get into the differences between school A and B. I think they just want to know why you're going for medicine, trying to use as little confusing language as possible.