Words of encouragement/reality call needed

Howdy all,

Before I get into whats got me bummed, let me give a short intro to my background. I'm a non-traditional student. I left active duty air force for the reserves in June of this year and am starting my first year of college at the age of 26. This week I took my first exam in Biology I, following that exam I was clearly a little too confident. We got our scores back today and I received an 83. I was expecting an A so you can imagine the sinking feeling I felt. For those of you out there who have been admitted to med school, has this happened to you? I realize my classes are going to continue to get more difficult s9 I don't feel I can get anything less than an A in these easier courses. constructive criticism 100% welcomed -Thanks

Asaeed90cc

2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Howdy all,

Before I get into whats got me bummed, let me give a short intro to my background. I'm a non-traditional student. I left active duty air force for the reserves in June of this year and am starting my first year of college at the age of 26. This week I took my first exam in Biology I, following that exam I was clearly a little too confident. We got our scores back today and I received an 83. I was expecting an A so you can imagine the sinking feeling I felt. For those of you out there who have been admitted to med school, has this happened to you? I realize my classes are going to continue to get more difficult s9 I don't feel I can get anything less than an A in these easier courses. constructive criticism 100% welcomed -Thanks
Got C's on all of my first wave midterms at the beginning of college. Just calm down, learn to analyze the professor and where they like the pull questions from. They will often emphasize the material on the exam. Make sure you're calm and that you respect the material at hand, don't get ahead of yourself it takes getting used to. Lastly, stay confident and study smart. You can study all day and night but if you aren't studying smart it'll be significantly more difficult to get the grade you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 877259

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Sounds pretty normal to me. If you're particularly disappointed, make sure you try different study methods. Especially working in groups--everyone I know said they studied better alone until I forced them to study with me!

Reactions: 877259 and 700825
About the Ads

wizzed101

The Little Prince
May 20, 2016
What is concerning is the fact that you felt confident after the exam. It's better to know nothing than thinking that you know.

The odd one

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yes, it happens all the time, don't worry. The first exam for any class is always weird as you aren't used to what the professor is going to throw at you.

What really matters is that you figure out why you didn't do as well as you hoped, and effectively make changes before the next exam.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Sounds pretty normal to me. If you're particularly disappointed, make sure you try different study methods. Especially working in groups--everyone I know said they studied better alone until I forced them to study with me!
Some people actually do study better alone, so maybe OP shouldn't try and impose his will on other students. They aren't there to make sure he gets the best grade.

As for the OP, it's totally normal. I know you were in the Air Force, but that's still more military than a civilian university (just kidding), and military exams are different than civilian exams. It takes an adjustment period. Evaluate your study methods and do better next time. You'll be fine!

biochemgirl22

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
My first bio exam I thought I crushed it and ended up with a 56. This was when I was trying to do college as a high school student. There's always a learning curve. Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Absolutely normal and has probably happened to all of us. You learn from it and make adjustments for the next one.

And another thing, you don't have a big hole to dig yourself out of so feel good about that!

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
the most important thing is to always focus on figuring out where you went wrong and why you felt more confident than you should have. More often than not, this happened to me when I tricked myself that I understood a concept more than I did. This is why I think its always useful (for me, anyway) to study in a group and try to teach each other things because usually other people's questions will make you realize how little you actually understood something.

a single B on a test won't hurt you.

Isoval

I'm marginally higher on the totem pole.
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Howdy all,

Losing one battle doesn't mean you have to lose the war.

Keep fighting for it and don't stop!

We've all had road bumps of one kind or another. What matters is that you don't let one (very marginally) bad grade stop you. There are hundreds of other exams to worry about.

What happened is already done - worry about the ones in the future you can actually change.

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Been there, done that. Got a C on my first bio exam in undergrad. In retrospect it was almost a blessing, because it lit a fire under me and I worked my butt off for the rest of the semester and ended up with an A in the class. So use this experience as motivation.

Especially working in groups
Studying in groups works for some people, so it's worth a try, but I would wager that the vast majority of people study better alone.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Howdy all,

I've gotten knocked down by exams and different assignments so often on this path.

The key to success in medicine is perseverance. Just keep working harder and keep picking yourself when you get knocked down. It's gonna happen. It just depends how you handle it.

Don't sweat the first exam of your first college science course. Get ready for the long slog of finishing your pre reqs, MCAT, etc etc.

Good luck op and thanks for your service.

About the Ads