Words of hope and encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalschool123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give those with lower stats a little hope and confidence! Here’s my story:

I graduated in 2016 with a 2.76 BCP and 3.03 oGPA, with a 17 AA and 17 TS on the DAT. I thought getting into dental school was impossible for me (which it was at that point). But I decided to work my butt off during my gap year and I started research, two different volunteer opportunities, studied 6 months for the DAT, and received As in 35 semester hours of post bacc. I didn’t want to spend money on a masters because I already had loans for my undergrad (against the advice of admissions counselors and sdn). I brought my GPA up to a 3.19 and science up to 3.17 and BCP up to 2.97. I received a 22 AA and 23 TS on the DAT. Had 2 interviews and finally got accepted after my second time applying!! So, if you are willing to put in the work, anything can happen! Just work your butt off, DO WELL ON THE DAT, apply broadly, and you can do it! I had no social life for a good year but totally worth it to achieve my dreams. Good luck everyone! If you have any questions let me know :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Good for you. Long, long time ago .... I was in a very similar situation. Transferred to a different school in the middle of my undergrad studies and my grades took a dive. With the help of my college adviser .... I was accepted to a few expensive schools and an inexpensive state dental school. I chose the latter. I found out later that I had the WEAKEST credentials of my freshman D1 class. Things have a way of working out. :)

Reactions: 5 users
You didn't receive anything, you earned those A's and you freaking earned that 22. Congrats, looking forward to being colleagues!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't receive anything, you earned those A's and you freaking earned that 22. Congrats, looking forward to being colleagues!!
Wow never thought of it that way, thanks for this! I am looking forward to it as well :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on getting accepted into dental school....What school did you do your post-bacc courses?

Congrats on getting accepted into dental school....What school did you do your post-bacc courses?
Thank you! I kinda bounced around a bit. The fall 2016 after graduating I took only 2 classes at a 4 year university called Benedictine university in IL cz it was expensive, and then in spring 2017 I took 3 classes at a community college and the 4th class at UIC in Chicago. At Uic I started a second degree in chemistry. Then this last fall I took 4 classes at UIC continuing the chemistry degree. Hope this helps!

Just wanted to give those with lower stats a little hope and confidence! Here’s my story:

I graduated in 2016 with a 2.76 BCP and 3.03 oGPA, with a 17 AA and 17 TS on the DAT. I thought getting into dental school was impossible for me (which it was at that point). But I decided to work my butt off during my gap year and I started research, two different volunteer opportunities, studied 6 months for the DAT, and received As in 35 semester hours of post bacc. I didn’t want to spend money on a masters because I already had loans for my undergrad (against the advice of admissions counselors and sdn). I brought my GPA up to a 3.19 and science up to 3.17 and BCP up to 2.97. I received a 22 AA and 23 TS on the DAT. Had 2 interviews and finally got accepted after my second time applying!! So, if you are willing to put in the work, anything can happen! Just work your butt off, DO WELL ON THE DAT, apply broadly, and you can do it! I had no social life for a good year but totally worth it to achieve my dreams. Good luck everyone! If you have any questions let me know :)
Did you apply with first stats? My stats are similar but a little higher GPA from University of Mo., Columbia. I do not want to take a gap year. My volunteering and EC's are my strong selling point. Is it possible to get an interview w/ mosdoh at this point? My app has been under review since beginning of Oct.