Words of Wisdom from the Experienced

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gemmin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I'm not sure if there has been any threads on this before, but I've never seen one so I'm starting up this one.

The application process is starting soon for admission into class of 2013. PharmCAS opens in less than one month and I get butterflies thinking about it! :laugh: Hilarious isn't it? It will be my first time. For those who are experienced, is there any advice you could give to us first timers about applying? Ie. pharmCAS, transcripts, LORs, interviewing, or anything that was confusing to you when you applied. It would help calm me down a bit since I've been looking forward to this day for a long time, but now that it's finally here I'm a little terrified :scared: Any help would be greatly appreciated :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Never argue with an Italian man who's nick name begins with the word, "The."

and my favorite...

Don't whiz on the electric fence.

goodluck!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=347616

Another tip, everyone appreciates it when a question is researched and the search and advanced search functions are utilized.

So, if you do not know if similar threads has been posted, it is a good idea to use the search function before posting.

Good luck with the application process. It can be overwhelming but read that thread and you should be set.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply as early as possible for schools with rolling admissions. A lot of people, who would've definitely gotten in early in admissions, get waitlisted later on.

I suggest:

Do everything early.
Double check everything.
Triple check everything.
Eat a banana.
Write a damn good essay.
Try to get hands on exp or at the very least, shadow.
Practice interviewing.

start practicing interviewing...have as many people as possible read your personal statement

Don't assume the school has received your application, transcripts, etc. Double check. It's on you if they don't receive it (even though it sucks).

also by calling I think it shows that you care, you are proactive and enthusiastic about getting an interview- plus its one less person for them to try to track down!

Hello SDNers,

I'm not sure if there has been any threads on this before, but I've never seen one so I'm starting up this one.

The application process is starting soon for admission into class of 2013. PharmCAS opens in less than one month and I get butterflies thinking about it! :laugh: Hilarious isn't it? It will be my first time. For those who are experienced, is there any advice you could give to us first timers about applying? Ie. pharmCAS, transcripts, LORs, interviewing, or anything that was confusing to you when you applied. It would help calm me down a bit since I've been looking forward to this day for a long time, but now that it's finally here I'm a little terrified :scared: Any help would be greatly appreciated :love:

Apply to more than 2 schools and make sure your PS is great not just by your mom's standards but at least by standards from somebody more experienced. :rolleyes:

Like most people have said, make a check list of must dos: and timeline too!

-Definitely start asking (if u haven't already) for LORs as they take the longest.
-Next longest part is the PS - def use SDN to help proofread... ask lots of people to critique it.
-Research the schools you want to apply to and make sure you have or will have all the pre-reqs done... see if they have supplements online and start doing those questions too.
-Don't forget PCATs
-once PharmCAS opens, send all transcripts and check up on that.

Most important thing is writing a great PS and making sure not to waste any time/money applying to schools that you're not elligible for (ie not having all the pre-reqs); and getting your LOR from the prof/pharmacist.

Also try to make your timeline so that you want to finish and send all the application info by August. Don't worry about interviewing until you've finished the application.

One thing that really helped was having a personal connection to the program. I spent time contacting the school - creating an open line of communication. When it came time to review my application, the reviewers knew me by name.

Contact the programs you are interested in now - and let them know your interest.

~above~

Send things into PharmCAS early. They are SLOW.

Pharmcas hasn't even opened up and we are starting to panic. We need a "applications for c/o 2013 support thread" or something.... :laugh:

I've came to a conclusion with PharmCAS...they are slowwwwwwww!!!! Whenever I see that my application was not updated, I bother them. I emailed them and ask, and GUESS WHAT? In a few days or so, my application was updated (especially good with your GPA calculations). When you bother them, they feel the need to do it faster...my theory anyways, but it works!

With the schools, turn your supplemental early (I always say that to everyone and I end up turning mine in at the very end...:p). Check your status, even if they say everything is turn in, it's not. If you don't hear from them in a month or so, email or call and ask.

Like some people have post it earlier...only apply to schools you are going to finish the prereqs for...why waste $$$?

And one thing I can't stress enough...do not pay for PharmCAS if you're not going to do the school's supplemental. $$$$$ (save it for traveling expenses for your interview)... What I do is I make sure I finish all the supplementals before I paid or add additional schools in PharmCAS. It never hurts to add schools but it does hurt your wallet if you overpay them in the beginning. They don't do refund:D!

That's about it for now...

I second that. PharmCAS also likes to acts like you are a huge inconvenience when you call them to have them fix a problem. Hello, this is the rest of my life we are talking about!!! :eek: Of course I'm going to annoy you about it....

Do it right the first time.
No half stepping, get good LORs(more than allowed), bring ps to writing department, volunteer over the Summer, research schools over the Summer and note who what where and why? (for interview prep.)