Words of wisdom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolutezero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
post deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Originally posted by absolutezero

So remember, the letters you get over the next few weeks don't determine anything. Picking a college is like picking a spouse. You don't pick the "top ranked" one, because that has no meaning. You pick the one with the personality and character that complements your own."

exactly! :horns:

Originally posted by absolutezero
The following excerpt is from David Brooks' op-ed column yesterday in the New York Times. He was writing about the undergraduate college admissions process but it's just as relevant to medical school. I thought it was great.

"Even if the admissions criteria are dubious, isn't it still really important to get into a top school? I wonder. I spend a lot of time meeting with students on college campuses. If you put me in a room with 15 students from any of the top 100 schools in this country and asked me at the end of an hour whether these were Harvard kids or Penn State kids, I would not be able to tell you.

There are a lot of smart, lively young people in this country, and you will find them at whatever school you go to. The students at the really elite schools may have more social confidence, but students at less prestigious schools may learn not to let their lives be guided by other people's status rules ? a lesson that is worth the tuition all by itself.

As for the quality of education, that's a matter of your actually wanting to learn and being fortunate enough to meet a professor who electrifies your interest in a subject. That can happen at any school because good teachers are spread around, too.

So remember, the letters you get over the next few weeks don't determine anything. Picking a college is like picking a spouse. You don't pick the "top ranked" one, because that has no meaning. You pick the one with the personality and character that complements your own."

I agree whole-heartedly. Now, if we could get everyone else to read this after they are done drooling over the USNews thread...

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
I agree whole-heartedly. Now, if we could get everyone else to read this after they are done drooling over the USNews thread...

Case in point: this thread has 85 reads, the USNews one has over 5,000 :wow: