work/activities: current job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to list my current job on my app to show my technical skills and show what i've been up to, but my job is not supportive of med school.
I'm afraid if I list the job in my work/activities section with the contact info, they'll call my work to confirm and get me in trouble at work. Is anybody else going through this, or knows how med schools handle the verification process? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you able to elaborate on why your job is not supportive of medical school? Is it something super controversial? The forums have led me to believe that adcoms do not really call to verify information due to the large amount of applications. But if something kinda looks weird* they may call, but it's doubtful.

*For letters of recommendation, a post somewhere said that if neither had official letterhead, no signatures, and had similar wording; that it would warrant a phone call. For your job, I assume that if you put down CEO of fortune 100 company, they might call.

Are you able to elaborate on why your job is not supportive of medical school? Is it something super controversial?

Nah, he's just a pimp. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
it's non trad engineering job. they spend a bunch of money to invest in training us. also, i've noticed that they aren't worried about pulling the trigger on letting ppl go if workers perform bad or do things they don't want. I just feel ridiculously nervous about throwing my manager's name on there and having an adcom call him. worst part is that the contact portion in the application is mandatory -_-

i've noticed that they aren't worried about pulling the trigger on letting ppl go if workers perform bad or do things they don't want.

Aren't those legitimate reasons to fire an employee though? Unless you signed a contract saying you would work for X amount of hours or days, you are fine. A second thought, if you live in an at will work state, you could be fired for wearing the wrong color shirt that day but you could fight that in the unemployment office. To return to the topic, how long have you worked for the company? To make things easy, lets say you've been working there for 6 months including training. The medical school sends you an acceptance and you accept it and start school in August 2014. That's an estimated 18 months that you've worked for the company. That's plenty enough time to "payback" the company for their training. Especially since you wont be taking your engineering skills to a different engineering company.

You should put down the contact information.

The chance that a school will call to confirm something is extremely extremely small. You shouldn't worry. I've heard that they usually only call to confirm if something seems really fishy or fake. If you put effort into the description, I highly doubt it will come off as fake.

The chance that a school will call to confirm something is extremely extremely small. You shouldn't worry. I've heard that they usually only call to confirm if something seems really fishy or fake. If you put effort into the description, I highly doubt it will come off as fake.

good points

i also have a somewhat related question. right now, i am still working a 30 hr/wk gig, but i am afraid that i will not be able to put down a contact person come application time. how do i address this? i am applying NEXT cycle, and my "supervisor" right now might not be in the country anymore starting next months.

good points

i also have a somewhat related question. right now, i am still working a 30 hr/wk gig, but i am afraid that i will not be able to put down a contact person come application time. how do i address this? i am applying NEXT cycle, and my "supervisor" right now might not be in the country anymore starting next months.

Are you still able to put either email address or phone number in the contact info? If so, putting the email down for the supervisor who is not in the country should suffice. Or if there's another higher up who can verify that you worked there.

Aren't those legitimate reasons to fire an employee though? Unless you signed a contract saying you would work for X amount of hours or days, you are fine. A second thought, if you live in an at will work state, you could be fired for wearing the wrong color shirt that day but you could fight that in the unemployment office. To return to the topic, how long have you worked for the company? To make things easy, lets say you've been working there for 6 months including training. The medical school sends you an acceptance and you accept it and start school in August 2014. That's an estimated 18 months that you've worked for the company. That's plenty enough time to "payback" the company for their training. Especially since you wont be taking your engineering skills to a different engineering company.

You should put down the contact information.

I definitely agree, and you hit the nail on the head with timing. For me, i am still suppose to be under contract, and if they fired me at the 18 month mark, I wouldn't lose too much sleep, but if they're fired me around July-November upon reviewing my secondaries this year, I'd be devastated.

It's just the idea of losing my job before I even know that I've gotten into medical school that drives me crazy. I don't want to lose my job just at the attempt of getting into med school; and worse, if i lost my job + didn't get accepted, i don't know how i'll get hired again with such a disloyal work history. I should end my ranting now. In the end, it looks like it's just a judgement call. thanks for the feedback.

good points

For stuff without contact info I put my moms contact info. True story.