Work/Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AHeling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the work/activities component of the AMCAS application, and was wondering others' thoughts on this:

In this section, are we supposed to simply describe the activity under 'experience description', or add additional comments regarding why we chose that activity and what we gained from it?

If we talk about the activity in our essay, it wouldn't make sense to repeat what we gained from that activity. But if we don't discuss it in the essay, is it worth additing these additional comments? By doing so for some activities, and not others, would it appear odd and assymetrical?

Your comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I have this problem too. Under my "Shadowing" activity, I described my most signif experience, but I also talk abt it in my essay. I mention diff things in each, but I give the patient's name both times. Is that too much overlap? I really don't want to sound redundant, but if the adcom ppl are like old doctors reading it, they might forget by the time they get to the other part if i don't put it in both places.

So yeah, advice appreciated...

I had this same problem but then decided to just describe my ROLE under each activity in AMCAS. As for the personal statement, I described the effects of one or two activities, but not all. It's just too much. Don't be redundant. Admins hate reading lengthy, repetitive stuff anyways. It might irritate them and boy, you don't want that! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
nycpizza said:
I had this same problem but then decided to just describe my ROLE under each activity in AMCAS. As for the personal statement, I described the effects of one or two activities, but not all. It's just too much. Don't be redundant. Admins hate reading lengthy, repetitive stuff anyways. It might irritate them and boy, you don't want that! :p

oh tru dat!

i just had a quick question on work/activties on amcas.....i was a volunteer at lexington health care for geriatics ......i know that for organization name, i will put lexington health care, but i'm not sure what should i put for experience name.....would it just volunteer????

anyone plz help me..

another question....
i worked at two different pharmacies....so since they are two different organizations, i shouldn't be combining them?...am i right?

drtoor said:
i just had a quick question on work/activties on amcas.....i was a volunteer at lexington health care for geriatics ......i know that for organization name, i will put lexington health care, but i'm not sure what should i put for experience name.....would it just volunteer????

anyone plz help me..

another question....
i worked at two different pharmacies....so since they are two different organizations, i shouldn't be combining them?...am i right?

"Volunteer" should suffice for experience name. For the pharmacy experience, I think it would be ok to list them as separate experiences although it would also be good to make the descriptions unique for each one to show how you grew from each experience. However, if you have many activities, it would also be ok for you to combine them as one pharmacy experience and then naming the different organizations in the description.