work and unsolicited calls to adcomms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NightDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I really need your advice on something. I am currently working in a wall street I-Bank during my "lag" year in order to make some money to help pay for med school. Due to the ridiculous hours and strain on my med school interview schedule, I am thinking that I should quit. I am worried to for only one reason: I'm afraid that my staffer (boss basically) - who knows I'm applying to med schools - will call up schools as some sort of revenge, as I told them I would definetely work throughout the year. Do you think this is a reasonable concern? Do you think that he could even influence my application (he is not a reference, and neither is anyone at the bank)? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I really need your advice on something. I am currently working in a wall street I-Bank during my "lag" year in order to make some money to help pay for med school. Due to the ridiculous hours and strain on my med school interview schedule, I am thinking that I should quit. I am worried to for only one reason: I'm afraid that my staffer (boss basically) - who knows I'm applying to med schools - will call up schools as some sort of revenge, as I told them I would definetely work throughout the year. Do you think this is a reasonable concern? Do you think that he could even influence my application (he is not a reference, and neither is anyone at the bank)? Thanks so much.

1. It won't happen.
2. If you give them 2 weeks notice and part on good terms, you won't have to worry about it happening.

Hi everyone,

u r just paraniod! wait after u leaveur job, got accepted and come back to read this. I am very sure u will be ashamed of this urself. It will never happen. Why would they call them? when will they cll them? on what basis will they call them what will prompt them to call them? does ur boss know the number and phone number of schools u r applyin to? what will he say if he/she calls them? is ur boss that jobless to do something like that? is ur boss ready to call one school at least 3 times b/4 speaking to one adcomm member?

chill enjoy ur life b/4 med school? and do not forget that the interview process, like life, takes VISA

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's not that inconceivable that this guy can call up schools (after all, there aren't that many) or he can go on the website and find out emails. I would hope somebody would not be that malicious to do something like that, but you never know. There are som really screwed up people out there. Let's say he did get in touch with adcomm's... do you think they would care what he said? After all, he or anyone at work is not a reference.

u r just paraniod! wait after u leaveur job, got accepted and come back to read this. I am very sure u will be ashamed of this urself. It will never happen. Why would they call them? when will they cll them? on what basis will they call them what will prompt them to call them? does ur boss know the number and phone number of schools u r applyin to? what will he say if he/she calls them? is ur boss that jobless to do something like that? is ur boss ready to call one school at least 3 times b/4 speaking to one adcomm member?

chill enjoy ur life b/4 med school? and do not forget that the interview process, like life, takes VISA

Here, I'll say it.

Troll.

Bump. Anybody have any insights? Could use some good advice

I had the same paranoia about my roomate because rochester said they sent me a brochure, and I never got it, and I started to think maybe he trashed it and then I started thinking what else did he trash, then I started thinking I've gotta get that mail key from him, which I did.

Paranoia doesn't do anything but stress u out.

Well it's not that inconceivable that this guy can call up schools (after all, there aren't that many) or he can go on the website and find out emails. I would hope somebody would not be that malicious to do something like that, but you never know. There are som really screwed up people out there. Let's say he did get in touch with adcomm's... do you think they would care what he said? After all, he or anyone at work is not a reference.

You have not signed a waiver so anything that he sends to your file would be available to you. If he was nuts enough to call, who would believe who he is or why he is calling? Why should they accept the word of some unknown person who is defaming an applicant.

Don't lose any sleep over this. It is unlikely this guy would do anything and if he did, it is even more unlikely that a medical school would take him seriously.

And he could face some lawsuits. I wouldn't worry.

Thanks so much! What you guys said makes a lot of sense and I can see how it's really irrational to worry about this.

Ok, no, I don't think he'll do that, but this is why you should not tell your boss or coworkers all your business! (Not saying you did, but just giving a warning)

Honestly, is he being completely inflexible with you scheduling your interviews? At most if you have 15-18 interviews, that's a total of 2.5 work weeks that you may need to be absent. He should be able to accomodate. Did you not inform him that you were applying to medical school this year? If you need the money, tough the position out...

Ok, no, I don't think he'll do that, but this is why you should not tell your boss or coworkers all your business! (Not saying you did, but just giving a warning)

Honestly, is he being completely inflexible with you scheduling your interviews? At most if you have 15-18 interviews, that's a total of 2.5 work weeks that you may need to be absent. He should be able to accomodate. Did you not inform him that you were applying to medical school this year? If you need the money, tough the position out...

Well I needed to tell them that I would be doing these interviews, otherwise there would be no way in hell that they would give me the time off. Taking off a couple of work days in your first year of investment banking is unheard of, let alone 3 weeks. I agree that he should be able to accomodate. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I would quit if I were you. Right now your weighing one situation(staying) that you know will have detrimental effects on your application/interview and another situation that could possibly be detrimental. Take your boss out, buy him a couple drinks, feed him a sob story and be done with it.

I have had to do something like this before. I worked in the lab of a professor that was on the adcom for my school. Unfortunetly the lab was extensively boring and I learning nothing. He wanted me to stay, I said I would for the next year, and then I realized I didn't want to. I emailed him to break it off, and 3 or 4 unanswered messages later, I got the impression he didn't want to talk to me.

Do whats best for your future. F*ck everything else. Your gonna be helping people the rest of your life, right now is about you and getting to place in life where you believe you should be.

You did the right thing in telling your boss that you're applying--many wouldn't have. I kind of doubt that he'd be all that surprised if you do quit earlier than you'd planned to, as it's pretty much common knowledge that the med school application process is brutal.

You don't "owe" your boss anything more than 2 weeks' notice. Plans change. He might be upset, but I highly, highly doubt he'll do anything unprofessional as long as you act professionally yourself.