Work as general medicine attending during rheumatology fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skichick12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently read on a rheumatology fellowship's website that fellows are required to work as general medicine attendings during the fellowship. "3 months/year General Medicine ward attending". I was just wondering if this is the typical experience and to be expected or an exception. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Exception for sure/rediculous
Why would they waste six months of training on making people cover their wards?

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. There is a major shortage of rheumatologist, definitely can't spare us for general IM. Never hear of such thing on the interview trail last year either. That would automatically take them off my rank List!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I recently read on a rheumatology fellowship's website that fellows are required to work as general medicine attendings during the fellowship. "3 months/year General Medicine ward attending". I was just wondering if this is the typical experience and to be expected or an exception. Thanks!
Sounds unusual.

I wouldn't even consider it unless they paid me >$50k extra for those three months.

Takes 6 months to get in to see a rheumatologist, but sure, make your access/training worse by being cheap and not hiring more gen med folks.

Reactions: 1 user