1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Work at an animal hospital. Relevant?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Emerge NC, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Emerge NC

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#1 Emerge NC, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mitchlucker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I wouldn't treat it like you're treating human patients.

I would treat it like a job with some exposure to a medical workplace dynamic.

That's it. I would put it as a work and what you do.

4. Medicine4Bruhs

I loled. To adcoms, the clinical experience is the process of attending to sick patients, not animals. Obtaining clinical experience is necessary in order to demonstrate that you are aware of the profession of medicine and its human component. You instead describe an EC that exposes you to veterinary medicine.

In fact, I would hesitate to put volunteering at an animal hospital as an EC because some adcoms might question your commitment to an MD program. You come off as an applicant with a history of experience working in a veterinary setting, and adcoms may question why you're not pursuing a DVM program at State. I assume you are getting paid as a receptionist? Downplay it as a job, maybe as a volunteering experience, but it is definitely not a clinical experience. Make sure you can also back up the rest of your application with serious evidence of patient interaction to assuage any adcom fears for a preference for animal medicine. Is the risk worth the reward? I'm not quite sure that it is.

5. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't go that far. The experience definitely doesn't count as a clinical experience, but that doesn't mean that it has no value for medical admissions. Remember that the goal of ECs is to demonstrate certain qualities and knowledge about the medical profession. Though this can't do the latter, it can definitely do the former (demonstrates professionalism, ability to work on a team, etc.).

You could use the whole "questioning your motivations" argument for almost any activity.

6. penguinism

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dabbled in veterinary medicine before deciding on pursuing human medicine, and I put that on my application. My job as a vet tech was valuable to me and I learned a lot, though after volunteering at a hospital I realized that I prefer human patients. Cats are adorable, but they can be extremely vicious at the vet (and I have the scars to show from it).

OP, I would list it on your application, but make sure that you have exposure to human medicine as well and can explain why you chose it. You can also talk about it in your personal statement.

7. zwitterion34

zwitterion34 .4520000000000000k Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is what it says on page 69 near the end of paragraph 1 of Doctor Confidential: Secrets Behind the Veil by Richard Sheff.

"Often they couldn't speak English, so we had to work with translators, when they were available. When they weren't, we did our best to make do with sign language for symptoms, but trying to obtain any medical history was hopeless. The residents described this as practicing veterinary medicine, since we had no way of talking to the patients."

I'll let you decide if it is relevant or not. Hope it helps.

8. postbacpremed87

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here is what it can be listed as:

*A non-clinical/non-health care related job. Listing it as such will make them laugh in a way that doesn't benefit you.

*A hobby

By the way, I love beagles so that should give you some points in my book.